Open with "do this automatically" doesnt remember

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Christopher T

Post by Christopher T »

Robert H, does it affect OTHER file types? I suspect torrents... more succinctly, torrent servers, which don't actually serve files, but database query replies wrapped in a file wrapper, ... blah blah blah... I've had the same problem always... but only with Torrent files... and NOT set to open, set to SAVE... where it shouldn't matter about the application, or even specifically the mime type, only that it consistently reports as the same sort of file... which I question.

Just my mad stab at reasoning out a problem I sympathize with...
Mgrad92

Post by Mgrad92 »

Anonymous wrote:Mime Type Editor can be found here.

When I installed Mime Type Editor 0.2 (after getting a "Software installation is currently disabled. Click Edit Options... to enable it and try again" and hunting around for the controls to enable) and checked the configuration for WebConnect files (that's where I experience this problem daily) I found it made no difference. Suppose I need to get rid of the automatic handling setting in Preferences first? I'm running FF 1.5 in Mac OS 10.3.9.
robert h

Post by robert h »

Something else strange... on other torrent sites, FF remembers the azureus choice, but seems on minonova it doesnt... hmmm. This one is really throwing me for a loop. Minonova and FF 1.07 always worked.

I was hoping a Mozilla person would have chimed in by now with a solution,but no such luck :(
hakujin

Post by hakujin »

anything? this problems is driving me bonkers! I have the extension but how exactly should I word the mime type? as it stands nzb and torrents always give me the annoying popup no matter how many times I choose to remember the action.
robert h

Post by robert h »

Absolutely nothing. I agree, this is a very aggravating problem. Another twist... it doesnt happen on all sites ! You would think a Mozilla guy would have chimed in by now.
hakujin

Post by hakujin »

Robert, I'm in another thread related to this... Jon seems very helpful in at least explaining why this is...

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 83#2081383
robert h

Post by robert h »

Soooooooo.... anything new on this? I do have new data, i reformatted my HD, reinstalled windows and FF from sctatch and i still have the problem. So, it appears to be a FF problem for sure.
anonimouse

Post by anonimouse »

I have the Firefox problem too. But I just found out though a case of inattention that it may not really be a problem.

The "browse" button showed up instead of the azurueus.exe that I had previously chosen for a Mininova file, and I clicked "OK" without thinking, and the torrent started downloading in Azureus!

Warning: I already had Azureus running on another torrent, so this may not work all the time. I'll try it again later from a cold start of Azueus with a new Mininova torrent and find out.
robert h

Post by robert h »

Yes, I have found that the dialog box comes up and all i have to do is click ok and it starts, but I want FF to do this automatically, like it used to, and is supposed to. I can't believe that there are not a lot of people with the same issue.

Mozilla doesnt take direct cust support emails, i dont think.. Unfortunate
old FatJohn

Post by old FatJohn »

robert, please, it's a known bug. Have you voted for it in Bugzilla? That's all you can do. No amount of whining will help.
robert h

Post by robert h »

Fatjohn,

Sorry, i didnt know it was a known bug. I will go figure out how to vote for it. Do you have a bug number?

And sometimes whining makes me feel good :)
old FatJohn

Post by old FatJohn »

I know what you mean... Sorry, I don't have the bug # here. Try searching https://bugzilla.mozilla.org
outback_bonzer

Post by outback_bonzer »

As a side note (I have the same problem) SOME of my mpg's will open in the quicktime plugin automatically (a blank window with only the qt movie) but other will prompt for the save files/open with... option.

Is there an explanation on why some mpg files will open correctly and some won't, or is it all associated with the bug for not remembering the "do this automatically" option?

(To note, I'm having problems with my download actions being blank and the "open with... from now on" options as well)
old FatJohn

Post by old FatJohn »

outback_bonzer: I think that this is not related to this bug, since it "sometimes" works. However, I bet it's not random, I'd think this has to do with the MIME types they're served as. Can you give us examples of a working and a non-working files? Please start another thread and just post back the link here, let's not hijack this thread.
robert h

Post by robert h »

So, anything new on this? I reformatted my HD and did a clean install of XP and all my apps. I am using FF1.5.3.

Same problem. Simply will not remember choices. ANyone?