Session Manager 0.1 to 0.3.9+

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
anon42

Re: Session Manager 0.3.9 [Apr 08]

Post by anon42 »

Can someone tell me if it is one of my (Macintosh) FF extension preferences or a FF "feature" where FF will quit when you close all of its windows?

Feature, preference or not, Session Manager apparently does not save my current session when this happens. All my tabs at the time I close the window are not restored upon relaunch of FF.

FWIW, for what I have installed, I searched through what I thought might be the "appropriate" preferences that might address the quitting feature, i.e., Mr Tech Local Install and Tab Mix Plus, and even FF's own preferences, but I didn't notice anything.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:48.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/48.0
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

@dougeeebear: This only affected cookies - and has been fixed as of today's testing version.

<a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/sessionmanager-dev.xpi">Today's testing version</a> (0.3.9.10+) also introduces support for Firefox Preloader. Should anybody use that, please test that it now works correctly.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

@anon42: If you're using version 0.3.9, please update to the current testing version and try again.
Will Pittenger

Post by Will Pittenger »

zeniko wrote:Will: If you've updated from one testing version to another, you might have to mark the checkbox again. You shouldn't see the dialog, if the pref extensions.crashrecovery.restore_prompt is set to false. ~ As for Firefox seemingly crashing at a reboot, that's rather an issue with Firefox or your OS. If Firefox isn't correctly shut down at a reboot, there's nothing Session Manager can do about it. ~ Finally, how does the userChrome.css hack not work? You'll have to replace menuitem[_id="separator"] with menuseparator[_id="separator"] to correctly have the separator hidden, but otherwise it does what I said.

Sorry about the hack part. I did not look at it until after I posted. I had assumed the menu was due to a new version. That is working.

Your about:config entry is missing. I do have extensions.crashrecovery.resume_session set to false. Could you have entered the wrong entry name? extensions.crashrecovery.resume_session_once is also false. extensions.crashrecovery.restore_prompt_uri is set to "chrome://sessionmanager/content/restore_prompt.xul".
Will Pittenger
anon42

Post by anon42 »

zeniko wrote:@anon42: If you're using version 0.3.9, please update to the current testing version and try again.

Just tried it. Thanks. It now restores the tabs that were in effect when I click the close window. :-) So could someone tell me if FF always behaved this way (terminate when all windows are closed) or do I have some weird preference set somewhere?
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:48.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/48.0
Will Pittenger

Post by Will Pittenger »

zeniko wrote:As for Firefox seemingly crashing at a reboot, that's rather an issue with Firefox or your OS. If Firefox isn't correctly shut down at a reboot, there's nothing Session Manager can do about it.

I have to disagree. Unless something like bookmarks or About:config entries are not saved when changes are made, the mainstream developers need not concern themselves with a crash when the program is supposed to be closing anyway along with the rest of Windows.

In fact, I have have to believe that only extensions that save the session need to deal with that.

What can you do? Complain to the people who can fix it.
Will Pittenger
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Today's <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/sessionmanager-dev.xpi">testing version</a> (0.3.9.11+) is the first release candidate for version 0.4. If no more issues show up, I'll release it around the beginning of next week.

Will Pittenger wrote:Your about:config entry is missing.

What version are you using? The pref extensions.crashrecovery.restore_prompt should show up since around version 0.3.9.8+. If it doesn't show up, you'll have to create it yourself (right-click -> New -> Boolean).

Will Pittenger wrote:the mainstream developers need not concern themselves with a crash when the program is supposed to be closing anyway along with the rest of Windows.

The problem is that for an OS independent extension there is no way to tell that the OS is shutting down. Extensions are only informed when Firefox is quitting. If that notification isn't correctly sent, that's an issue with Firefox.

Will Pittenger wrote:Complain to the people who can fix it.

This has already been done: bug 333907.
Will Pittenger

Post by Will Pittenger »

My version is 0.3.9.
Will Pittenger

Post by ******** »

zeniko wrote:Today's <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/sessionmanager-dev.xpi">testing version</a> (0.3.9.11+) is the first release candidate for version 0.4. If no more issues show up, I'll release it around the beginning of next week.

Working great for me. Only one little tiny issue: when you add the "Undo Close" button to the toolbar, the separator below Session Manager Options in the Session Manager toolbar button's menu is still there.

Btw, I am referring people who want session restoring capability in superT to your extension. :) Your extension is much better than what I could ever do.

and I voted for bug 333907.
lalomartins

Post by lalomartins »

C@rb0n wrote:This latest version, 0.3.8 (or possibly a slightly earlier version), has introduced a bug whereby, with many tabs (say 20 or more), and much tab open/close history, Session Manager becomes no longer able to track tabs. As a result tabs recently closed cannot be reopened, and when using the Tab Clicking Options extension to attempt to reopen the tab, only long-closed tabs can be reopened.

I seem to be getting something similar, with SM 0.3.9 and Firefox 1.5. I typically have a single window and 15 to 20 tabs; I can restore closed windows, but not tabs. When I closed a tab, I got this on the JS console:

Error: aState.substr(aState.indexOf("\n[Window1.Tab" + aPosition + "]")).match(this.mOneTabRE) has no properties
Source File: chrome://sessionmanager/content/sessionmanager.js
Line: 1001
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Will Pittenger wrote:My version is 0.3.9.

Then you'll have to either create the pref by hand or update to the testing version (as I already told you) or create the pref yourself.

desertfox wrote:when you add the "Undo Close" button to the toolbar, the separator below Session Manager Options in the Session Manager toolbar button's menu is still there.

Thanks for the note. That's fixed in <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/sessionmanager-dev.xpi">today's update</a> (0.3.9.12+).

lalomartins wrote:I typically have a single window and 15 to 20 tabs; I can restore closed windows, but not tabs.

Thanks for the error message. I'm still not able to reproduce this issue. However I've made several adjustments which hopefully mitigate this issue. Please try the current <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/sessionmanager-dev.xpi">testing version</a> and verify that it doesn't happen any longer.
lalomartins

Post by lalomartins »

ok, this is odd. After a few sessions, the error disappeared and SM is working as expected. o.O Oh well. Hope the error message at least helped you catch something :-P
dougeeebear

Post by dougeeebear »

After testing SM built-in older session backup operation v/s the userChrome.js version, here is what I conclude after a crash (with older session backups to keep set at '1'):

SM built-in version entries at startup after a crash:
> [ Crashed Session... ]
> [ Older Browsing Session... ]
> [ Previous Browsing Session ]

After one restart:
> [ Crashed Session... ]

"Older Browsing Session" is gone and "Crashed Session" is still the Crashed Session.
(unexpected operation)

After another restart:

Back to normal.

userChrome.js version entries at startup after a crash:
> [ Crashed Session... ]

After one restart:

"Crashed Session" is gone, back to normal (expected operation)

So to me, the userChrome.js version makes more sense, and is what I am using instead of the built-in version.

I'm currently using SM version 0.3.9.11+.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

dougeeebear wrote:So to me, the userChrome.js version makes more sense, and is what I am using instead of the built-in version.

Actually, you can't use the userChrome.js version instead of the built-in one. What you observed works only for one backup copy - all others are deleted by Session Manager (as you told it by setting the number of additional backups to 0). If you want to discuss this further, please do so over at the new discussion thread.
old zeniko

Re: Session Manager 0.1 to 0.3.9+

Post by old zeniko »

Since version 0.4 is out and I prefer to keep the thread to a reasonable length:
zeniko wrote:This thread has been replaced:

<li>Session Manager Homepage
<li><a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/sessionmanager.xpi">Latest version</a>
<li>New discussion thread

Thanks for the additional click...