firefox not working after update, IE still works

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
mijo

firefox not working after update, IE still works

Post by mijo »

I updated firefox a couple days ago and it doesn't work anymore. I tried uninstalling and then installing again but same problem. Internet Explorer works and so does AIM, but firefox and other browers like opera don't work.
OlGranDad

Post by OlGranDad »

Doesn't work.....as in won't start? See:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser_will_not_start_up

Or can't access any web pages? See:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Error_loading_any_website

More details are required for further assistance, like exact OS, Firefox version and any installed themes and extensions.
mijo

Post by mijo »

Doesn't work as it won't access any web pages. Extensions that I have installed are forecastfox version 0.8.2.5., IE tab 1.0.6.4., and foxytunes 1.2. Themes, I have aquafox 1.1.01 and brushed 0.9.9.7. I'm running version 1.5 of firefox. I'm not sure what OS is?
OlGranDad

Post by OlGranDad »

OS = Operating System.

First order of business is to have a read of the "Firewalls" section of the KB article I linked to above.

Post by Guest »

I have tried and tried but Firefox simply will not load properly. I use Norton and none of the instructions provided is accurate for the current version of Norton. Some pages open, most dont. This has happened since new windows updates and since the last Norton cleanup session. Any advice??
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Dump Norton. Quickly!! It's a known bad actor in regard to browsers and email clients, and has even been know to cause problems for other products from the same company.

AVG Free AntiVirus
ZoneAlarm Firewall
AdAware
Spybot Search & Destroy
Ewido AntiMalware (Win2K and XP only)
WinPatrol
SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard

Most these programs have free versions and all are very effective. One that isn't fully free is Ewido which is a 14-day trial. It disables automatic features after that, but can be used and updated manually. I feel that this one is so good that it is worth paying for just to support their efforts. Haven't had an infection on my computer in a long time. If you're worried about using too many system resources with all of these installed, they have been run on a PIII 450 with 512MB RAM with very little slowdown.

(With thanks to Daifne)

Post by Guest »

Norton is terrible, however it is not the cause as to why Firefox is not functioning properly. I have ESET's NOD32 as my antivirus and Firefox 1.5.0.2 won't even load, outside of safe mode. I think we need a 1.5.0.3 update fast, to fix things. Until then I have uninstalled Firefox and I went back to 1.5.0.1. That seems to be working fine. It is very easy to blame an Antivirus or Firewall client, and although both Macafee and Norton are horrible programs, they are NOT the cause of the Firefox 1.5.0.2 issues.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Guest, if Firefox loads in safe mode your problem is not a Firefox application problem. You have a conflict with a theme or extension. Safe mode simply disables all extensions and themes to facilitate trouble shoot issues such as you are experiencing.

Try creating a new profile and do not install any themes or extensions. Confirm that Firefox runs properly in STANDARD mode. If it does, you can begin adding extensions (best one at a time) until a problem appears. The last loaded extension is the culprit.
trolly

Post by trolly »

NIS is one of the major problems after each update. The default settings for modified programs is set to "block silently" so that anyone not knowing how a firewall works get stuck with a non-functional FF. Cleaning that up and the majority of problems went away. Any program accessing the internet depends on the correct function of firewall and Antivirus because these programs control the access. You have no chance from the user side (or programmer side) to make a program "Norton friendly" or so because you can only access the standard interfaces which these programs intercept. I wonder why ZA makes a lot less trouble than Norton.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
yjackt

Post by yjackt »

upgraded to firefox 1.5.0.2 from 1.5.0.1 Within minutes of running for the first time, firefox crashed. I've uninstalled and reinstalled twice, to no avail. Finally I reinstalled 1.5.0.1 and that version chashed as well. After trying it one more time, I installed 1.0.6 It crashed as well. I have now uninstalled and reinstalled NIS 2006, and I'm trying 1.5.0.2 one more time
Please help

Thanks
yjackt
trolly

Post by trolly »

Try this esp. safe mode and new profile:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diag ... Firefox%29

Attention: If you use a profile touched by 1.5.0.x you can not use it anymore with 1.0.x . In this case you have to create a new profile.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.

Post by Guest »

To hell with everyones advice on this thing. Let me tell you what has worked for me when my FF stopped working after upgrading to the 1.5.0.2 version.

I too was confused, I too was lost. but guess what, I figured something out. I have a new Dell laptop. and on it was the factory install of McAfee spam killer thingy. I never updated it cause I use Ad Aware se. So, I deleted the Mcafee crap out of curiosity, and low and behold...it works, FireFox works. YEAH! so if you have an old out dated Mcafee I suggest deleting it.

it must be something with the old out dated version of Mcafee and the new version of FF.

I hope this works for you all, if not, I dont know what I did. But hey, mine works, and really thats all I care about. Sorry.

Post by Guest »

Hey, I'm having trouble too and I can't figure it out. I have EZ Firewall which I downloaded through Cablevision (optimum online) and perhaps this is the problem. I am not that technical of a person and this is very frustrating asmy older version of ff worked perfectly befrore the upgrade.

HELP!!!!

Post by Guest »

I am the same guest as above. I've tried shutting off the firewall and starting FF. No luck!!!! Why offer a product if it doesn't work. i love FF, but if it is this much trouble, I will switch back to IE, with all its problems on windows and continue using Safari on MAC. IAt least IE works. FF should get its act together. Most people are not technically astute to figure out all the internal settings of firefox, nor do most people have the time to do this. FF needs to put out updates that seamlessly work, without any problems. This is very frustrating and the answer for me, is to not use Firefox until they figure out how to update correctly. I know a number of people who have given up on FF because of this.....
trolly

Post by trolly »

Which firewall do you have? Most firewalls are difficult to shutdown because they are designed to be hard to shutdown. Just for security.