The one and only "Memory usage" thread & FQA

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
schapel

Post by schapel »

nstenz wrote:Are you saying that memory is not freed? If so, how can that not be a bug?

There's a difference between memory not being freed and memory not being returned to the operating system. If memory is freed and not returned to the operating system, it is still available for reuse by the program, and therefore memory usage will not keep growing as is the case with a memory leak. The problem with not being able to return memory back to the operating system is a fundamental one that has to do with how memory allocators work. You can read up on the topic by doing a search for <i>memory fragmentation</i>. It is not a bug.

Post by Guest »

Has anybody noticed more memory usage since upgrading to the newest version? I'd like to go back one version I think...

Post by Guest »

what is the standard diagnostic

pardon my dumbness

note i also so 100% mem usage
schapel

Post by schapel »

Anonymous wrote:what is the standard diagnostic

pardon my dumbness

Click on the link to see what the <a href="http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_(Firefox)">standard diagnostic</a> is.

What is "100% mem usage"? What is 100% of what?
aigle

Re: Known Leaky Extensions

Post by aigle »

schapel wrote:
aigle wrote:I am using both of them together with about 20 more extensions and my memory use with latest version is about max of 58 MB( in safe mode max 52 MB). Is it ok?
What about the above two extensions? Do I need to uninstall/ disable one of them?

I experience .............. 60 MB of memory use is nothing to worry about.

Thanks, so I will continue with both.

Post by Guest »

schapel wrote:
Anonymous wrote:what is the standard diagnostic

pardon my dumbness

Click on the link to see what the <a href="http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_(Firefox)">standard diagnostic</a> is.

What is "100% mem usage"? What is 100% of what?

100% system resource use really plus the system increased and used the whole dammed page file ie 1.4gb and 1.4 gb used versus wheh the system is restarted it uses 30 to 40 mb
schapel

Post by schapel »

The <a href="http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-mozilla1.8.0/">latest nightly builds of Firefox 1.5.0.x</a> supposedly fix a <a href="https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=330624">massive memory leak</a>. You can try those builds and see if they use less memory. Of course, if your problems are unrelated to memory (slowdowns when you're not close to running out of memory, for example), you can't expect this fix to have any impact on your problems.
therube

Post by therube »

schapel wrote:Why do you think it's memory usage causing the observable problems? ... It sounds to me like you're having problems, including possibly excessive memory usage. Trying to connect the problem back to memory usage may be a wild goose chase...

In that respect, you may be correct.
It could be something entirely different - or some combination.
Some odd JavaScript website coding.
Or some JS coding combined with ...
But in any case, there are situations, where the use of (SeaMonkey) is impacted - be it memory related or otherwise.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Landtat

Post by Landtat »

If memory leakage is the culprit, then why does my CPU usage stay at 40% with one window and only one tab? C'mon! 40%? Didn't do this until I installed the newest version of FF.
schapel

Post by schapel »

Landtat wrote:If memory leakage is the culprit, then why does my CPU usage stay at 40% with one window and only one tab? C'mon! 40%? Didn't do this until I installed the newest version of FF.

No one is saying memory leakage is the culprit. To the contrary, I'm saying the CPU usage almost certainly has nothing to do with memory usage at all. Memory leaks have become the new scapegoat for any random problem in Firefox.

The truth is, you almost certainly won't see any effects of a memory leak (except a number increasing) until your computer's memory is nearly exhausted. Then you'll see the system thrash, or messages like "out of memory", "low on memory", or "allocation failed".
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

I think one or two of you have issues, such as crashing and high CPU use, that are not related to memory use and the subject of this thread. I think we can help you if you start a new subject, but we can't help in this thread.

In this context, problems with memory use means, essentially, that (1) Fx is not functioning well and (2) you can verify that Fx either uses up most of physical memory or that memory use grows beyond 100 or 200 MB without bound. (Please don't change the subject by quibbling about the definition--it's just my suggestion, not a rule. Use it as you see fit.)
old np

Post by old np »

Since this thread doesn't actually contain the tips at the start any more, we've decided that further memory discussions should take place in seperate threads.