Windows media player showing up as classic ver.

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Sordid

Windows media player showing up as classic ver.

Post by Sordid »

Hi all, Im new here :D.

Erm, I did search the forums, but I couldnt find an answer to my problem, but apologies if this has already cropped up before.

Im using Firefox 1.5.0.1 and Windows Media Player 10, and yet when I go to view embedded wmv videos the 'skin' is the classic one (see picture). I prefered the functionality of the new one, and I just cant work out why I've lost it! I tried the WMP9 registery fix, but to no avail. Can anyone help me? Thank you!!!

Alice

Post by Alice »

You right-clicked and downloaded this .reg file to your desktop and then double-clicked the file to merge into your registry?
http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/resources/wmp9.reg

Here is what the .reg file contains:

Code: Select all

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ShimInclusionList\MOZILLA.EXE]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ShimInclusionList\PHOENIX.EXE]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ShimInclusionList\MOZILLAFIREBIRD.EXE]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ShimInclusionList\FIREFOX.EXE]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ShimInclusionList\SEAMONKEY.EXE]

Just to make sure, try again, then run regedit and browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ShimInclusionList and make sure FIREFOX.EXE is listed underneath.
Alice Wyman
Alice

Post by Alice »

And.... if the above isn't helpful:

I remembered helping someone else with a similar problem....
http://sillydog.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7755&start=15
WMP Links Open WMP6.4

What did the trick in his case was reinstalling Windows Media Player 10 on top of itself.
Alice Wyman
Sordid

Post by Sordid »

YES!You absolute star, installing WMP again did the trick! Thank you so much!
Alice

Post by Alice »

8-)

Thanks for posting back with the outcome.

Post by Guest »

How do you re-install WMP? My windows won't let me re-install it I already have the latest version installed and won't let me continue.
Alice

Post by Alice »

http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#uninstallmyth
if you are trying to fix the player, simply reinstall it over the top of itself. If you are using Windows Media Player 9, then you will typically find the installer (mpsetup.exe or mpsetupxp.exe) you used in "c:\program files\windows media player\installer", and can use that to reinstall the player. Otherwise, go to Microsoft's download site and redownload and reinstall the player.
Alice Wyman

Post by Guest »

I said that I can't re-install cuz windows won't let me continue...

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/4797/untitled0gc.jpg

Post by Guest »

Anyone can help with me problem? Please, thank...
JPQZ

Post by JPQZ »

If you already have windows media player 10 then I think you would have to uninstall it first.

Remove it through the control panel then reinstall windows media player 10 if that is what you want to do - in case some windows media player 10 file got corrupted.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051111 Firefox/1.5
Alice

Post by Alice »

You shouldn't need to uninstall WMP 10 (see the link I gave earlier). I did a groups.google search and found a number of posts on that error,
A more recent version of Windows Media Player is already installed.
A more recent version of Windows Media Player is already running on your
computer. Setup cannot continue.
...for example, this one.

It might be helpful if you gave your specific version of Windows and WMP 10. I'm assuming that your system originally came with WMP8 or WMP9 but you later updated to WMP10?

For example, my WinXP Pro Sp1 system came with WMP8 which I updated to WMP10 in December 2004 by downloading and installing MP10Setup.exe. If I open C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player and check the file properties of wmplayer.exe it shows version 10.0.0.3646, which hasn't changed since installing. If I open WMPlayer and go to "Help -> About Windows Media Player", it shows the current program version is 10.00.00.4019 (I have all current WMP10 Windows Updates installed).
ttocsmij

Post by ttocsmij »

Having the exact same problem with my new H-P m7357c Media Center PC running Windows Media Edition XP SP2 and WMP10. WMP works fine (manual start or IE start) but if Firefox 1.5.0.3 tries to open WMP to play a video (eg, a cnn.com video link) one gets a screen saying that WMP 9 or 10 could not be found and that one must download and install WMP immediately. Well that only resulted in the error message quoted above as "Quote:". Tried uninstalling WMP (a tried and true solution to many of Microsoft's many woes) and re-installing via the Control Panel/Add'n'Remove Program/Add'n'Remove Windows Component utility but that had no effect on the problem either. The registry ShimInclusion List contains Firefox.exe. The "About WMP version" is 10.00.00.4019. Any more ideas anyone?

[ Update: WMP version in registry is 10.00.00.4332 !!! ]
[ ref. \HKey_Local_Machine\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\10.0\Registration\UDBVersion ]
Alice

Post by Alice »

I also got a "Plugin Warning" message about not being able to determine my WMP version when clicking the "fat cat" video link at http://www.cnn.com but when I clicked the "continue to video" button, the embedded WMP console appeared using the WMP10 plugin.

Before doing anything further you should test your WMP plugin here:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Windows_Media ... WMP_plugin

The article includes instructions for adding missing WMP plugin files (npdsplay.dll, etc) if those files are missing, as they may be, on "Media Center Edition" Windows XP systems. It also includes information on installing the Mozilla ActiveX control for Firefox 1.5 as another way to play embedded WMP content.
Alice

Post by Alice »

P.S. On fixing the original problem, where the WMP embedded player shows up as WMP6.4 instead of WMP10, even with firefox.exe included in the registry ShimInclusionList:

If WMP10 was added as an update to Windows XP SP2 then it would appear in "Change or Remove Programs" in the "Software Updates" section but you need to click the "Show Updates" button first (ref). However, I would NOT uninstall WMP 10 for frivolous reasons. If an "over the top" reinstallation doesn't work I would leave well enough alone, or try upgrading to WMP11 when it comes out.

Just keep in mind that reinstalling WMP 10 doesn't fix a missing WMP plugin issue and it won't help you view media on websites that require the WMP ActiveX control. See the Windows Media Player - MozillaZine Knowledge Base for help with that.

ttocsmij :
I know very little about the Windows XP SP2 "Media Center Edition" but, if came with WMP 10 as a Windows Component, as part of the Operating System, then removing it in "Add/Remove Windows Components" will only hide it, I've gathered .....the shortcuts to WMP will be "removed" from the quicklaunch, desktop and programs menu but the files will still be present on the system (ref) ...So, if you were having the "exact same problem" as the original poster (the "classic" WMP6.4 embedded WMP player) that might be why removing and adding it back doesn't fix it. However, I don't see that you were having that problem in the first place.
Alice Wyman
DRTProxy

Post by DRTProxy »

The members on this site are as helpful as the MODS :-D Nice to see such a helpful community!