[Ext] MR Tech's Link Wrapper 2.2.1 Released

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

If anyone can help me with a regression in the trunk builds that make link wrapper not work I would really appreciate it, thanks.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 66#2147566
mel reyes • mrtech.com • BlogPlaxoLinkedInTwitter
Support mrtech.com get our toolbar
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

1.2 Release Notes:
<li> Added: Added mail.yahoo.com and hushmail.com to the ignore list as folks had reported some issues. Please let me know if link wrapper functionality is needed back with these sites or just edit the "link_wrapper.ignoreList" preference as needed
<li> Added: On major updates (like this) that include fixes to tags, sites or character limits, now resetting all "link_wrapper" preferences to make sure that the current defaults are used. This will only be triggered on major upgrades and will only reset once, so you can change settings back if needed (options/settings panel planned for Link Wrapper 2.0).
<li> Added: The list of tags to ignore now also include: META, LINK, SELECT, OPTION, LABEL, APPLET, AREA, EMBED, FRAME, FRAMESET, HEAD, IFRAME, MAP, OBJECT, PARAM and TITLE
<li> Updated: Changed default character wrapping from 45 characters to 15 for smoother wrapping of long links.
<li> Updated: Increased character limit or size of page to 15,000 characters from 10,000, this helps with performance by not parsing pages with more than 15,000 characters, etc. "link_wrapper.charLimit" is now 15000, to disable this feature and have Link Wrapper parse all pages just set "link_wrapper.charLimitEnabled" to false
<li> Updated: Now supports newer Firefox 2.0 & 3.0 dev builds
<li> Fixed: A Firefox development change between March 8th and March 10th rendered Link Wrapper unusable with test builds, this is now fixed.
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

1.3 Release Notes:
<li> Added: Now supports Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite, enjoy
<li> Updated/Fixed: Changed how the extension listens for page and content loading, which should resolve some unconfirmed issues.

While waiting for umo approval, you can download the update here:
http://www.mrtech.com/msgboard/link_wrapper.xpi
cerilene

Post by cerilene »

This worked the first time I tested it out, but later when I went back to the same page, it is not working. At first I had installed the extension from <a href="https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2021/">Mozilla's page</a>, and then when it stopped working, I installed the update from this thread.

<a href="http://twopeasinabucket.com/mb.asp?cmd=display&thread_id=1720046">Here</a> is the page it is not working for me on.

Any ideas?
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

hmmm, I see what you mean, I'll definitely check this out thanks.
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

cerilene wrote:This worked the first time I tested it out, but later when I went back to the same page, it is not working. At first I had installed the extension from <a href="https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2021/">Mozilla's page</a>, and then when it stopped working, I installed the update from this thread.

<a href="http://twopeasinabucket.com/mb.asp?cmd=display&thread_id=1720046">Here</a> is the page it is not working for me on.

Any ideas?

ok, it took me a little bit to figure why it wasn't wrapping, but it's the performance feature that I put in to make sure browser performance wasn't impacted.

Basically my extension needs to parse through a whole page to figure out what needs to be wrapped etc., to limit cpu spikes or slowdowns I've put a cap or limit on the size of the page, current ~15k, the page in question is ~70k.

If you have a faster computer or want to ignore this limit you can set the "link_wrapper.charLimitEnabled" preference to false.
If you just want to bump the limit amount you can change the "link_wrapper.charLimit" preference to something higher than 15000

To change your preference open up the "about:config" by typing that into the url bar, and then filter by link_wrapper, double-click on the preference you wanted to change and that's it. Hit reload on the page and link wrapping should work.

Thanks and good luck.
Zoolcar9

Post by Zoolcar9 »

I think you should add an option to wrap long lines manually, using a toolbarbutton or a context menu, to save page loading time, and white-listing for sites/pages to allow wrap automatically.

My Firefox information | Add-ons | GitHub

"With great power, comes great desire to show it off."
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

Zoolcar9 wrote:
I think you should add an option to wrap long lines manually, using a toolbarbutton or a context menu, to save page loading time, and white-listing for sites/pages to allow wrap automatically.

2.0 will probably have this, I need to work on a options dialog and get a toolbar icon, but it should be too difficult, thanks.
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

Ok, I have a poll question for Link Wrapper users, here goes, I have a major 2.0 release almost ready for deploy but with all the bells and whistles the xpi has grown about 4 fold, so here's the question:

- Do I release 2.0 as Link Wrapper and also release 1.3 as Link Wrapper Lite or....
- Do I release 2.0 as Link Wrapper Plus and leave 1.3 as Link Wrapper

Here ar some features:
- Statusbar notification of: enabled, disabled, character limit reached or blacklisted sites
- Clicking statusbar icon will yield opposite of current setting, so you can effectively:
* turn wrapping off and only click it when you need it temporarily or
* leave it on and when you want to see a sight in long line mode just click it and it will display as-is temporarily or
* if enabled and you hit either the character limit or blacklist you can click it to temporarily allow link wrapping.
- Draggable statusbar icon to any position you want on the statusbar
- Option to hide statusbar icon, hide tools menu "options" menu item
- Full customization of hidden current settings
- Full option dialog with all the bells and whistles, export, import, reset preferences
- Increased default character limit to 30k characters

what do you think, I'm sure I'll only get the 2-3 interested parties to chime in but it's important for me to know what you think.

I'm also looking for a really good 16x16 & 24x24 icon if anyone can drop me an email that would be great thanks mrtech [at] gmail.com
Last edited by mrtech on May 4th, 2006, 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cato62

Post by Cato62 »

mrtech wrote:- Do I release 2.0 as Link Wrapper and also release 1.3 as Link Wrapper Lite or....

I vote for this option! :turn-l:
"It is difficult to fight against anger, for a man will buy revenge with his soul." ~ Heraclites, 500 B.C.

The Blood Series: BloodFire, BloodFire 3, BloodThunder, BloodSun, & BloodSong
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

Cato62 wrote:
mrtech wrote:- Do I release 2.0 as Link Wrapper and also release 1.3 as Link Wrapper Lite or....

I vote for this option! :turn-l:

very kewl, 1 of 3 link wrapper user votes are in, any other voters out there?
XerBlade

Post by XerBlade »

That's a tough one.
I personally like the sound of the Link Wrapper Plus and Link Wrapper option, however, I do lean more towards Link Wrapper and Link Wrapper Lite for different reasons rather than just the sound of it. And that would be, applying some basic psychology and stuff... what the most average end users would think seeing both of them. I'd have difficulty fully explaining what I mean, though, so I'll leave it at that. I vote option #1.
User Agent
Extensions
AMD64/2.41GHz RAM/1.0GB ATI/256MB-GDDR3/128-bit/8xAGP Cable6.0M/384kbps
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

btw, I'm still considering adding whitelisting I just need to finish some options ui pieces and will see if I can include it with 2.0, just not sure though.
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

oh yeah also forgot to mention of course it's fully localizable ;)
old np

Post by old np »

I know it's not an option, but don't drastically change it. If you look through the comments on AMO, you'll see people saying "does exactly what it said it would". I don't see this extension as needing any options dialog or anything. It works right out of the box and it works sanely by default as far as I've seen. This is a "set and forget" extension.