[Ext] Yahoo Mail Notifier 1.0.7.3 - discussion

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
jparsons

Yahoo Mail Notifier

Post by jparsons »

I'm probably overstepping here (I'm pretty ignorant about what can and can't be done) but is it possible to have a notification show up in the system tray?
The truth is, all might be free if they valued freedom, and defended it as they ought.
~Sam Adams
menet

Re: Yahoo Mail Notifier

Post by menet »

jparsons wrote:I'm probably overstepping here (I'm pretty ignorant about what can and can't be done) but is it possible to have a notification show up in the system tray?

Do a right click on the YMN icon and go to the <strong>Preferences</strong>, just use the "<strong>Display alert on new mail</strong>:" with "<strong>Once</strong>" or "<strong>Repeat</strong>" :roll:

Regards :wink:
oatka

I think it works now

Post by oatka »

Check out page 2 for the original part of my problem. Basically it wouldn't reset the new mail count for some reason and I'd end up with a running total for the day. But, now I think I've figured out a way to fix that. Yesterday I stumbled upon noticing that if I clicked Yahoos Check Mail button it would reset the count back to zero, so I loaded the Check Mail page and used that URL for my Override defualt Mail URL option for the extension and now it seems to be happy. The new URL I am using is twice as long as the old one, maybe that has something to do with it.

thanks for the previous help and the great extension.

Oatka!
Morac

Re: Yahoo Mail Notifier

Post by Morac »

jparsons wrote:I'm probably overstepping here (I'm pretty ignorant about what can and can't be done) but is it possible to have a notification show up in the system tray?
If you mean the Windows system tray then no it's not possible to do so. I think it could be done, but basically I'd have to right a windows program to interface with Firefox, which is overly complicated and above and beyond what the extension is designed to do.
Morac

Re: I think it works now

Post by Morac »

oatka wrote:Check out page 2 for the original part of my problem. Basically it wouldn't reset the new mail count for some reason and I'd end up with a running total for the day. But, now I think I've figured out a way to fix that. Yesterday I stumbled upon noticing that if I clicked Yahoos Check Mail button it would reset the count back to zero, so I loaded the Check Mail page and used that URL for my Override defualt Mail URL option for the extension and now it seems to be happy. The new URL I am using is twice as long as the old one, maybe that has something to do with it.

thanks for the previous help and the great extension.

Oatka!

Just out of curiousity what is the URL to your mailbox? Normally the http://mail.yahoo.com redirects you to that URL. It should look something like http://us.f509.mail.yahoo.com where the number 509 differs depending on your mail server.
sandycis

Yahoo Mail Notifier help!! Please

Post by sandycis »

I really like this feature, but for some reason it quit working. I have uninstalled and re-installed twice and even restarted the comuter, but it still is not working. Can someone give me a hint as to how to make this start working correctly again?

I would really appreciate it!!

Sandy C.
oatka

My URLs

Post by oatka »

originally the URL I used was:
http://us.f324.mail.yahoo.com/ym/ShowFo ... 1&YY=41377

but the other day I switched to:
http://us.f324.mail.yahoo.com/ym/ShowFo ... Inbox&YN=1

and that has been working well.

I don't use just mail.yahoo.com because I want to go right to the inbox.

Great extension. thanks for the help.

Oatka!
appye

Oatka, good find!

Post by appye »

Oatka, good find!

I have been fighting with this since I discovered this extension the other day. I did remove the yy=##### portion of the url. I will see if things still work correctly this way. So far, it still takes me to the inbox. The reason I removed it is because it changes to what seems to be a random string of numbers each time. I was not sure if having the same set of numbers there would be a great idea or not.

I do have a question for anyone who might know this though... Is a user's account hosted permanently on the same server? Since I have been messing with this extension, I have noticed that whenever I check my yahoo account, and this is from many different computers in very different locations, I always get us.f522.mail.yahoo.com, and my wife's account consistently gets f604.

Using the URL generated by the "Check Mail" button seems to be working pretty well, but what if yahoo decides to put me on us.f233 or some other such thing? I did try it with another number just to see what happens and I got the page where it tells me that my session is expired.
Morac

Post by Morac »

Yahoo explains the whole f### thing here. The link says they regularly move accounts around to different farms, so putting a link directly to your actual mailbox is probably not a good idea. I recommend just using http://mail.yahoo.com since that will always take you to your mailbox and it isn't much slower than going to your mail server directly.
Morac

Post by Morac »

0.9.9.1 Build Released (Apr 28, 2006):
  • Fixed: Now officially tested to work with BT Yahoo. Reported to also work with SBC Yahoo. May or may not work with other 3rd party Yahoo providers. Use your email address as the login when using 3rd party Yahoo providers.
  • Added: gl-ES localization
  • Change: Changed double click default time to within 400 ms. The first time 0.9.9.1 is installed, the extensions.ym_notifier.doubleclicktime preference will be changed to 400. If you have manually modified this preference, you will need to change it again after 0.9.9.1 is installed. Sorry for the inconvenience.
  • Fix: Workaround for Bug 13677. Warning this will cause the extension to re-log into the default username when the user logs out on a Yahoo page and the extension is actively checking. It will also do so if the user logs out and into a different Yahoo account. If the extension is not actively checking, it will not do anything if the user changes Yahoo account until the user tells it to check again.
  • Fix: Workaround for Firefox Bug 331276. This will only work if all extensions affected by this bug are updated to work around the bug.
  • Fix: Better handle timeouts that can occur when checking for mail or logging in. Also added some checks for if the user is impatient and checks again too quickly. Also if an error occurs while checking, the extension will try an alternate server. You will still get errors, but they should go away the next time it checks.
  • Update: Support for Firefox 3.0 alpha (Minefield)
menet

Post by menet »

I have tried to download or install the version <strong>0.9.9.1</strong> but it failed because the XPI file was not found. :( If i click several times on the download link, each time i have a <strong>Not Found</strong> message (The requested URL /ymnotifier/ym_notifier_0.9.9.1.xpi was not found on this server) with a different server.

Since i use the value of 500ms for double click default time (extensions.ym_notifier.doubleclicktime), the check was better made. The original value was 300ms. When the new version will be available i will work with 400ms and see how it is taken in account 8-)

Morac

Post by Morac »

Mozdev uses mirror servers and it can take up to 12 hours for the file I upload to be pushed out to all the mirrors. It will show up eventually, just try again later.

I increased the time to 400 ms since it seemed to work slightly better and didn't really have an impact on single clicks. I don't think people will notice the 100 ms extra amount of time it takes for a single click to be handled :D

You can change it back to 500 ms if you have problems, but I wanted to force the change for people still at 300 ms. In hindsite I guess I could have checked to see if it was at 300 before changing it to 400, but that would make too much sense. #-o
menet

Re: Yahoo Mail Notifier 0.9.9 - discussion

Post by menet »

After 16 hours, this link is always bad :?

I will wait for tomorow morning... :sleeping: Regards :wink:
Morac

Post by Morac »

#-o Okay this was a screwup on my end. I misnamed the file so the link was bad. I've reupload the file so the page will work in a few hours. In the meantime you can grab the new version from http://downloads.mozdev.org/ymnotifier/ ... .9.9.1.xpi

If that link doesn't work that should mean the replication of the new file should be complete and the link on http://ymnotifier.mozdev.org/installation.html (http://downloads.mozdev.org/ymnotifier/ ... .9.9.1.xpi) should work.
menet

Post by menet »

The first link is good :P , and the installation was right.

The second link (on http://ymnotifier.mozdev.org/installation.html) gives bad links currently :shock:

Update of my entry : Can you update the ym_notifier.dtd fr-FR locale file in a next version :?:
from
<!ENTITY override.label "Override default Mail URL">
<!ENTITY override.key "O">

to
<!ENTITY override.label "Écraser l'URL de mail par défaut">
<!ENTITY override.key "E">