Firefox won't open a new window

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Radioman55

Post by Radioman55 »

The new version of Firefox, when operating under default settings, does NOT recognize "_blank" or "_new" html coding for opening new windows. Web Site Designers who want to make life easier for those who view their site using Firefox should change their "_blank" and "_new" targets to "window.open" This is a command that will work with Firefox 1.5.02. It will also work with the latest versions of Internet Explorer, and Netscape. However Netscape will just open a new tab, which is fine with me. Before I discovered the "window.open" command, the links within my sites iFrame were opening inside the frame in Firefox! I had to do something...

Chad Thompson
** e-mail address removed by moderator **
jscher2000

Re: Firefox won't open a new window

Post by jscher2000 »

Radioman55 wrote:The new version of Firefox, when operating under default settings, does NOT recognize "_blank" or "_new" html coding for opening new windows.

Do you have a test page which demonstrates this? As far as I know, the behavior of the <a ... target="_blank"> attribute hasn't changed at all. Certainly in my intranet application 1.5.0.2 works the same as all earlier versions of Firefox and IE6.

However, I may not have the default configuration. What settings do you think are needed to block the target attribute?

Radioman55 wrote:Web Site Designers who want to make life easier for those who view their site using Firefox should change their "_blank" and "_new" targets to "window.open"

This will fail for people that are blocking JavaScript.

Radioman55 wrote:Before I discovered the "window.open" command, the links within my sites iFrame were opening inside the frame in Firefox! I had to do something...

Hard to envision what you mean here. Link to a sample page would help.
Radioman55

Post by Radioman55 »

Under "Tabs" I have "Open links in other applications in" set to "a new tab in the most recent window." The "Force links that open new windows..." box is NOT checked. This was the default configuration when I downloaded Firefox. Yesterday I absolutely could not get Firefox to recognize the html targets for opening a new window. It wouldn't open a new tab either, it just opened the link within the frame.

I turned my firewall off to see if that was causing the problem and it was not. I then entered the firefox newsgroup to see if anyone else had the same problem and there appeared to be a few others having the same problem. I also searched the knowledgebase and came up with this:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Opening_a_new ... lopment%29

Only after I changed the targets from "_blank" to "window.open" did Firefox start opening the pages in a new window. However, after reading your post I tried to re-create the problem and I can't. You are right that the "_blank" command seems to work just fine with Firefox. It's strange becuase I spent 3 hours yesterday unable to fix this problem but now I can't re-create it...

I'm sorry if I created any confusion with this post.

BTW, here is my site: http://www.highereyes.com/

Chad
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

I have a guess: When you open a new window using target="somename" rather than a special keyword like "_blank", the browser will re-use the "somename" window until you close it, rather than opening new windows. If you were to navigate the somename window back to a page that uses target="somename", then those links would open in the same window.

If the problem recurs, try closing all Firefox windows and restarting the browser. Hopefully it won't affect any of your site visitors.
Heritage2

Post by Heritage2 »

My Firefox 2.0.02 with default settings (or custom setting related to frames in about: config - layout) does not respond like Internet Explorer or Netscape to the TARGET="mainPage" attribute. It simply opens a new window.

Specific code example is <A HREF="../Members/members.html" TARGET="mainPage" (etc) at http://a0701210.uscgaux.info/. Clicking on any link in the left navigation panel should open the HREF page in the frame on the right. IE and Netscape do this but FireFox does not. Anyone know why or how to fix this problem?

Same behavior occurs at http://meiere.com/Heritage/index.html for the last three links (the others are designed to open in a new window).

Firefox is nice in many respects but it often omits basic features. In addition to this, it can't open new links in new tabs without special add-ons.

:?: :?:
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Heritage2 wrote:Specific code example is <A HREF="../Members/members.html" TARGET="mainPage" (etc) at http://a0701210.uscgaux.info/. Clicking on any link in the left navigation panel should open the HREF page in the frame on the right. IE and Netscape do this but FireFox does not.

It works for me. First try a "hard reload" (Ctrl+Shift+R) to try to bypass cache issues. If that doesn't help, it could be an add-on or setting. Try a new profile.

Heritage2 wrote:Firefox is nice in many respects but it often omits basic features.

Such as ??

Heritage2 wrote:In addition to this, it can't open new links in new tabs without special add-ons.

The default navigation is "same tab." If the link would ordinarily generate a new window, you can direct it to a new tab instead. For other behavior, you need an add-on.