Unresponsive script error

User Help for Mozilla Firefox

Re: uninstall?

Post by Guest »

Hardball Lover wrote:
Alice wrote:Anyone having this problem:
Try "Firefox Safe Mode". If the problem goes away, disable your extensions, one by one.

Checking the list of problematic extensions I see that the "unresponsive script" error can occur if the Google Toolbar is installed.

And how would one uninstall the Google toolbar? I can't find any such setting on the toolbar itself, in the Tools or View menus, under the Programs menu... I'd love to remove it and see. Anyone have a tip?

Thanks!

Or do you not mean the Google search bar that comes w/ Firefox?
Hardball Lover

Post by Hardball Lover »

Hardball Lover wrote:
Alice wrote:Anyone having this problem:
Try "Firefox Safe Mode". If the problem goes away, disable your extensions, one by one.

Checking the list of problematic extensions I see that the "unresponsive script" error can occur if the Google Toolbar is installed.

And how would one uninstall the Google toolbar? I can't find any such setting on the toolbar itself, in the Tools or View menus, under the Programs menu... I'd love to remove it and see. Anyone have a tip?

Thanks!

Or do you not mean the Google search bar that comes w/ Firefox?

Post by Guest »

im gettin these problems when uploading stuff to deviant art and flickr.

grrr@firefox
Old BushVenom

Post by Old BushVenom »

Alice is referring to the "Google Toolbar For Firefox":

http://www.google.com/tools/firefox/toolbar/index.html

If you have it, you can uninstall it by following these directions:

http://www.google.com/support/toolbar/b ... &topic=915
juan_david

Post by juan_david »

Harball Lover wrote:Beginning to suspect alternative proggies like Google Talk, Zone Alarm or AVG may be the cause. Anyone who's getting the script error running any of these 3 programs, too?
Hello. I use AVG and Google Talk. When i use Gtalk to access my gmail account i get the eror.
I click on the lower right link (wich shows the gmail logo and the number of new conversations) and when Firefox loads gmail, the error pops up.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Hardball Lover wrote:And how would one uninstall the Google toolbar?

Mine installed as an extension. Check your extensions list.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
Alice

Post by Alice »

The page from bushvenom's link says that you can uninstall the Google Toolbar for Firefox in two ways:
http://www.google.com/support/toolbar/b ... &topic=915
How do I uninstall the Toolbar?

FIREFOX
1. Click on the Google logo to the left of the Toolbar search box.
2. Choose "Help" and then "Uninstall."
3. Add comments about your experience with the Toolbar if you wish,
then press the "Uninstall the Google Toolbar" button.
<snip>
If you're using Mozilla Firefox, you can also uninstall the Toolbar from your browser.
To do this, please follow these steps:

1. Click "Tools" at the top of your browser window.
2. Select "Extensions."
3. Select "Google Toolbar for Firefox" and click "Uninstall."
4. Close all Firefox windows. When you reopen Firefox, the Toolbar will be uninstalled.
Alice Wyman
Mikieboyblue

Problem goes beyond extensions.

Post by Mikieboyblue »

Ok, I have noticed a few things when dealing with this problem.

1. I have never had this issue before upgrading out of the 1.0.x levels.

2. When it happens Firefox is using 100% CPU and consuming a ton of memory (Internet Explorer consumes less!)

3. I am a PHP developer. I have never had an issue. People in this thread are blaming the site or the scripts. Well I have a very simple script that first take a file via form upload and then copies it to a directory on the server. That's it. Firefox spits out the "Unrepsonsive script" error while the file is being uploaded. The file is about 1.5 MB and on a local LAN. I know it is not the script because I commented out ALL PHP code and it get the error. When I attempt to run this in IE it works FLAWLESSLY. This is a horrible feature.

Does anyone have an rational (from a Firefox developer) as to why this is suddenly a problem?

<strong>I cannot and will not force my clients to change their configuration settings in Firefox, nore do I want to force them to use IE.</strong>

Thanks,
Mike
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

See if anything here helps with your memory usage:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Reducing_memo ... Firefox%29
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
Mikieboyblue

Post by Mikieboyblue »

Well the memory usage is the least of my issues. The bigger issue is that open source software I am developing no longer works in Firefox. This is because uploading a file can take some time and Firefox is saying it is an unresponsive script. Beyond that, you can have scripts that do some pretty details functions take a bit of time to run and Firefox will cause us all pain with those. I was developing a news CMS that is based on uploading audio files. Well, this was working perfectly fine in older versions of Firefox. With these newer versions it is no longer working. We get the "unresponsive script" issue.

The worse feature to ever be added. I'd rather allow a site to run a script and just hit the close button if it is running too long.

This configuration change completely screws a number of web app developers.
schapel

Post by schapel »

Mikieboyblue wrote:Well the memory usage is the least of my issues. The bigger issue is that open source software I am developing no longer works in Firefox.

If you believe there's a bug in Firefox, please report a bug in Bugzilla.

For more information, see <a href="http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unresponsive_Script_Warning">Unresponsive Script Warning</a>.
Last edited by schapel on July 26th, 2007, 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

schapel wrote:
Mikieboyblue wrote:Well the memory usage is the least of my issues. The bigger issue is that open source software I am developing no longer works in Firefox.

If you believe there's a bug in Firefox, please report a bug in Bugzilla.

Which is a bug? The memory issue (which has been there off and on since < 1.0.x) or the "unresponsive script"?
Mikieboybue

Post by Mikieboybue »

Sorry, left my name off the last post.

Normally, except when uploading files or running some java apps, Firefox uses the "expected" range of memory outlined in the link above.
schapel

Post by schapel »

Anonymous wrote:Which is a bug? The memory issue (which has been there off and on since < 1.0.x) or the "unresponsive script"?

Report anything you think is a bug. Be sure you have a way for others to reproduce the problem in your bug report.
Mikieboyblue

Post by Mikieboyblue »

I have added more information to an existing bug.

See https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=336602