How do I get rid of unwanted plugins?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Scarlettrunner20

How do I get rid of unwanted plugins?

Post by Scarlettrunner20 »

How do I get rid of plugins? Fx used to not come with a bunch of nasty plugins. I want them gone. How do I get rid of them? (In particular all that have to do with that horrible, horrible Windows Media Player that I would also like to rip out and that I never, ever, ever use)!
Lost User 149279

Post by Lost User 149279 »

I suppose you could manually delete them by going to my computer>C:>Program Files>Mozilla Firefox>Plugins but its hard to identify some of the plugins from their file names (in my plugins folder they're mostly just numbered DLLs) so I'd be careful about what you remove from that folder.
Tony-E

Post by Tony-E »

Deleted - misread the question
Last edited by Tony-E on April 23rd, 2006, 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sheehan

Post by sheehan »

Firefox does not come with any plugins. If you have any, it was because you installed them yourself.
Scarlettrunner20

I did not install Windows Media Player plugins!! (I hate that player, I have never used it and on XP Pro SP1 I removed WMP entirely down to the default 6.4 player. The command line string to rid the computer of WMP 10, 9 and 8 does not work on XP Service Pack 2).

But rest assured, I never willingly installed WMP plugin. I read from MoFo that WMP plugin is auto installed on Fx now. So, I want to know how to get rid of it. It has two DRM plugins that I want GONE! I want to get rid of the player also if anyone knows how to do that on SP2. If I have to, I will uninstall XP Pro SP2 and go back to SP1 to get rid of that horrible player.

So, please tell me how to remove those plugins? There are other plugins that I did not install in Fx that I want gone. They were there when I installed this awful version of Fx 1.5.1. Fx has gone downhill from 0.8. That was the last really good version of Fx.

I also have these horrible plugins installed in SeaMonkey which I just got. I didn't install them there either. They come now with these browsers. WMP Plugin is not in the Plugins folder in Fx or Seamonkey. I did install Windiz plugin (the only halfway useful plugin as then there no need to go to Windows Updates). In SeaMonkey there is only npnull32.dll (default plugin) yet WMP plugin is installed. So, both Fx and SeaMonkey now come with that horrible WMP plugin installed and it looks like you cannot get rid of it!
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You can try this suggestion by logan: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 59#2219759
Certified Engineer

Post by Certified Engineer »

dickvl wrote:You can try this suggestion by logan: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 59#2219759

Didn't help me neither.. I am experiencing the same problem but your solution didn't help me at all. Any other solution?
Regards:
William John
old zmanzero

Post by old zmanzero »

Scarlettrunner20 wrote:I did not install Windows Media Player plugins!! (I hate that player, I have never used it and on XP Pro SP1 I removed WMP entirely down to the default 6.4 player. The command line string to rid the computer of WMP 10, 9 and 8 does not work on XP Service Pack 2).

But rest assured, I never willingly installed WMP plugin. I read from MoFo that WMP plugin is auto installed on Fx now. So, I want to know how to get rid of it. It has two DRM plugins that I want GONE! I want to get rid of the player also if anyone knows how to do that on SP2. If I have to, I will uninstall XP Pro SP2 and go back to SP1 to get rid of that horrible player.

So, please tell me how to remove those plugins? There are other plugins that I did not install in Fx that I want gone. They were there when I installed this awful version of Fx 1.5.1. Fx has gone downhill from 0.8. That was the last really good version of Fx...

you are incorrect in this statement. fx doesn't come with a bunch of plugins. i just looked. i have the latest version. no wmp plugin. does someone else use your box?

talking about horrible plugins, i had to uninstall the latest version of quicktime. why are these companies in such a hurry to stick their claws in our systems? for a real treat, try installing that realmedia player. there are still scraps of it on my old box. whatta nightmare. got a fresh install on this system, bare bones. no word, no paint, no aol. god, there's another nightmare...
Scarlettrunner20

Firefox and SeaMonkey scan the registry for plugins when started and they find the WMP Plugin that is part of Windows and they use it. That is the plugin that I am seeing. This plugin resides in the WMP folder but it isn't part of WMP per se but part of Windows (XP). This was what was confusing me. I thought that Firefox and SeaMonkey used the Netscape plugin for WMP that has to be installed by the user. As of WMP 9 this is no longer the case. Well, I had on my older XP computer WMP 6.4 as default (I removed 10 and 9 and never reinstalled 8 so 6.4 became default). So, that is why I didn't know that as of WMP 9 that Fx and SeaMonkey use the WMP Plugin instead of the Netscape one. I have a new XP computer and it is the one where I see this WMP Plugin that I didn't install. Now, I understand what happened. Fx and SeaMonkey scanned the registry and found the WMP Plugin for WMP10 and are using it. So, you are technically correct that these browsers don't come with the plugin but they acquire it as soon as they are run. The end result is the same.

I have removed WMP 10 and reverted to version 9. That version is not installed on this computer but is sitting in the WMP folder if I want to install it. I have associated files to WMP 6.4 which in the folder also so that should now be my default WMP. For embedded WMP files at websites when using Fx or SM, I would need to install the Netscape Plugin for WMP if I want these browsers to be able to play the embedded Windows Media file.

The plugins in Fx and SM are still there for WMP 10. I guess the browsers can't detect that I have uninstalled version 10, reverted to version 9 and not installed it. I guess once they grab the plugin from the WMP folder or the registry they hang onto it even when it is of no use. Ideally, I should have not started Fx or SM when the computer was brand new until I had reverted back to WMP 9 and associated the files with 6.4. Then Fx and SM might not have picked up the plugin because they would detect 6.4 only.

As for Quicktime, I hate that more than WMP. It's like pulling teeth to get that off your computer too. I use Winamp and if it won't play there, I say forget it.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You can always check the paths of plugins:
Type in the url bar: about:config <enter>
Right-click in free space.
Select: New > Boolean -> Name: plugin.expose_full_path -> Value: true

Type in the url bar: about:plugins <enter>

For Quicktime it's suffient to rename the C:\Program Files\QuickTime\Plugins to Plugins.qt
That will prevent Fx from finding them. You can do the same for the WMP plugins: rename or move them to another location.
Certified Engineer

Post by Certified Engineer »

dickvl wrote:You can always check the paths of plugins:
Type in the url bar: about:config <enter>
Right-click in free space.
Select: New > Boolean -> Name: plugin.expose_full_path -> Value: true

Type in the url bar: about:plugins <enter>

For Quicktime it's suffient to rename the C:\Program Files\QuickTime\Plugins to Plugins.qt
That will prevent Fx from finding them. You can do the same for the WMP plugins: rename or move them to another location.

I tried your method. Guess what the screen showed me?? Error message..
Regards:
William John