Progress History TB extension Version 0.1.4 Released

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Old Ausdilecce

Progress History TB extension Version 0.1.4 Released

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

This extension will collect status messages into a list so that the user could review what status messages were posted..

I attempts to figure out what status messages apply to what servers ( this AI is fallable, unfortunately, as TB messages are spit out from a core function that does not advirtise what server created the message )

The extension also adds progress meters when downloading and uploading messages.

Here is a screenshot ( with the extension in listbox mode )

The user can also bring up a dialog box of messages

In dropbox mode, those 4 lines are compressed into one line ala "the Bat"
http://img127.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ox22ri.jpg

The extension fetches mail using a different method to TB's built in autofetch because TB's built-in autofetch does NOT post status messages to the status bar. The extension relies on getting status messages from the fetch so the extension MUST do a manual fetch.
Therefore, when the extension is installed and enabled, it UNCHECKS Tb's own "Check for new messages every XX minutes". The extension then takes care of the fetches, and does it on the same interval.
...The extension keeps track of which accounts the user wants to autofetch on an interval.
...WHAT ALL THIS MEANS IS.. if you disable or uninstall this extension you MUST reenable "Check for new messages every XX minutes" on those accounts you want this behavior on.

The extension adds an "autoOk" facility to automatically dismiss "connection refused", "connection failed" and "connection timeout" alert boxes
.. the connection error messages will now show up on the status bar ( and also in the status message history list )
..(pref NOT in the options panel yet), defaulted to true ( yes autodismiss )
..This exists because the extension does manual fetches and manual fetches bring up "alert" message boxes on all errors

The extension also adds a "compactAutoOk" option, which will automatically click OK on any
"Do you wish to compact all local and offline folders to save disk space?" messages
..pref NOT in the options panel yet
.. dafaulted to false, do NOT autoOK compact all
.. this was added just because..

Here is a list of options that the extension uses
user_pref("phistory.%account%", true); // if true, this account will be checked every XX minutes, one for each account
user_pref("phistory.autoOK", true); // if true, any connection error alert boxes will be auto dismissed
user_pref("phistory.compactAutoOK", true); // if true, any "Do you wish to compact" boxes will be auto OK'd
user_pref("phistory.debug", true); if true, debug messages from the extension will be posted to the Javascript console
user_pref("phistory.hideHistory", false); // if true, the history listbox or dropbox in the 3pane window will be hidden
user_pref("phistory.listBox", true); //if true, listbox mode will be used, if false, dropbox mode will be used
user_pref("phistory.numlines", 10); // if in listbox mode, this is the number of listbox viewable lines

Here are some threads that might be of interest to those wanting some history on the development
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=168491
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=14769

Get the current version of this extension from >> www.supportware.net/mozilla/ProgressHistory014.xpi
Freee!!

Post by Freee!! »

Nice one.
Do we have to edit prefs.js or can we edit user.js if we want to change/add some settings.

I don't really need the autocompact option, I've already activated in another extension of yours (<u>AutoMsgSelect</u>), but I am sure there are people around who like the option but not the other extension.
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy ausdilecce,

wheee! what a nifty extension. as with Mr. Liu, i use your automsgselect to handle the auto-compact bit. they seem to play well with each other.

take care,
lee
Merlyel

Post by Merlyel »

ausdilecce
Tb 1.5.0.2, Progress History 0.1.4, the rest of extensions are turned off, 'cause one of them disables autocheck, trying to find out which one %)
I turned on autocheck for one of my accounts. It works, but shows no progress history for this check, so at first I thought it hadn't worked at all :( That was not just mine mistake ;)
Add:
P.S. What does phistory.debugC option do? Or is it just old setting left from PrHistory 0.1.2?
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

OK,
you can edit prefs.js or user.js or whatever.. I use tools...options...advanced...general...config Editor... ( which updates prefs.js )

Automsgselect will not conflict with this extension ( cuz the one that succeeds first wins and the other will silently fail ) but it is because of AutomsgSelect that I had the option default to false

If you turn on autocheck for any account, the next time you start TB, this extension will take over doing the autocheck and will then show the progress messages ( and uncheck the "Check for new messages every XX minutes" option for that account )

Phistory.debugC turns on debug messages from the "component" .. it still works ( I think ) but you will not really need it..

Cheers
alta88

Post by alta88 »

very nice. a request for

1. toggle button (statusbar, preferable for me, and toolbar).
2. log timestamp, user configurable to this standard.

thanks.
Merlyel

Post by Merlyel »

ausdilecce
If you turn on autocheck for any account, the next time you start TB, this extension will take over doing the autocheck and will then show the progress messages

OK, let's say it a bit different... ;)
Well, it does autocheck (I can see it in firewall/JSConsole), but it does not show message history :(
BUT if I check "Automatically download new messages" option, ProgressHistory starts showing message history.
PS. Any hope, that you'll make autoget of autocheck option, so we don't have to restart Tb for it to start working?

Added:
ausdilecce
Can you make extension which does only autoOK function?
Old Makondo

Post by Old Makondo »

Hi Frank,
thanks for the update! In the 0.1.2 version, i used to click on the 'Unread/Total' line and display/hide the whole ext. display - any way i can have that back? Also, is there a way to have the history list display on mouseover - i have set it to the drop mode and have to click on the arrow to see the list. A hover would be nicer (for me). Maybe i'm missing it somewhere?
Thanks a lot anyway!
Last edited by Old Makondo on April 25th, 2006, 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

makondo,

To show/hide the list, use view...layout...show history

you want the drop mode to show its contents on mouseover ? let me see what I can do..

EDIT: ohhh using mouseover for that is VERY nice... Will be releasing a version with that included very soon..
Old Makondo

Post by Old Makondo »

That's not the same, Frank. It permanently hides display (as "phistory.hideHistory" true/false does, i tried). I'm talking about a click to show/hide the whole display and, yes, a mouseover on the one-line dropbox to show the history list.
Also, as somebody somewhere has mentioned, it would be nice if it could sort history descending - the last shows first.
Thanks for your time!
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

click to show/hide the whole display ( as it was before ) and view...layout...show history *are* the same.. ( I wrote the thing, I should know :wink:

Mouseover to show the history list works, BUT the user will then have to click somewhere (anyware) else to close the list ( in drop mode )

Why would one want the history list sorted descending ? Specific reason please.. cuz it might be a bug

Ohh, and alta88 why the rediculously configurable timestamp ?
Old Makondo

Post by Old Makondo »

ausdilecce wrote:click to show/hide the whole display ( as it was before ) and view...layout...show history *are* the same.. ( I wrote the thing, I should know :wink: ...

OK, i might be thick (today). If i check to show history (in View/Layout), it does show it, period. If i uncheck it - it hides it, period. No clicking on anything makes it as it was before, click on Unread/Total line to show/hide.

... Mouseover to show the history list works, BUT the user will then have to click somewhere (anyware) else to close the list ( in drop mode ) ...

Fine. Maybe a close box somewhere?

... Why would one want the history list sorted descending ? Specific reason please.. cuz it might be a bug ...

I think it's pretty simple, really. I don't need to see the whole process, usually (that's why i have it in the drop mode) but the final results (for which i have to scroll all the way down).

... Ohh, and alta88 why the rediculously configurable timestamp ?

Actually, i can see use for it. I use WebMail/Hotmail/Yahoo exts. and they log a lot of ... lines. It gets confusing reading through them. Personally, i don't care to as long as i get connected and my mail delivered/sent. But if someone experiencing a problem with one/all of them, it might be helpful ... me thinks... (of course, they have their own - timed - logs).
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

Ohh, I see, the UI is different ( 3 clicks vs 1 ) but the *result* is the same
I have changed it so that clicking on the "total:XX" in the right corner will show/hide ( because clicking on the whole of the statusbar has unintended consequences for some ( read back a couple pages on this thread )

you can just click the arrow down on the dropbox to close it

regarding descending sort, why don't I see if I can make it automatically scroll all the way down ? ( making a drop box sort backwards is difficult and screws up what gets displayed on the single line ( undropped )
Old Makondo

Post by Old Makondo »

That will do it also, thank you very muchly!
Have fun, Frank!
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

Errr,

Don't I feel like a goof.. Seems that sorting a dropbox descending is *much* easier than I thot, certainly easier than trying to make the dropbox automatically scroll all the way down ( from what I can see, this is impossible )

Having it descending just looks wrong tho... Gotta think about that one