undoclosetab 20151105

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

dorando wrote:blame the devs for not releasing a Release Candidate.

The devs aren't to blame. Not only was there a release candidate available, but you're also supposed to set maxVersion to 1.5.0.* to prevent this situation. If you want to blame someone, rather blame Public Relations for not announcing the candidates better...
Lost User 162649

Post by Lost User 162649 »

i am facing a problem tha last few days...when i use undoclosetab i get empty tabs (untitled) instead of the right ones i had just closed..
i have updated the rdf file and still no luck..:(
i use the enhanced version of the undoclosetab extension which has a toolbar button as well..
any ideas..??
thanks a lot in advance...;)
mastavic

Post by mastavic »

Undoclosetab isn't working with the newest release of Firefox, 1.5.0.2, right? Is there a working one? Thank you.
mal_g

Post by mal_g »

Some kind fellow has just uploaded an updated version here:

http://btcorp.dyndns.org/Tools/FireFoxE ... xtensions/

Click on undoclosetab.xpi
mastavic

Post by mastavic »

mal_g wrote:Some kind fellow has just uploaded an updated version here:

Thank you so much for the quick reply and the help!
dorando

Post by dorando »

zeniko wrote:Not only was there a release candidate available
As these were in the the 'nightly' folder and not in 'releases' (like 1.5.0.1rc1) these were indicated for not being stable and might change without notice (as it was more than once in the 1.0.x cycle with changes breaking extensions).

zeniko wrote:but you're also supposed to set maxVersion to 1.5.0.* to prevent this situation.
So I should claim that my extensions works with something that I haven't tested with? The likelihood of undoclosetab being broken by a minor security fix is higher than keyconfig being broken by a major release so I might claim maxVersion 2.* for it?

Even if it would be correct to claim compatibility with 1.5.0.* it would be incorrect doing so in the install.rdf as this would prevent compatibility downgrade (as the updateURL isn't checked for this at install time, only at app upgrade).

MaStAViC wrote:Undoclosetab isn't working with the newest release of Firefox, 1.5.0.2, right?
No, it is working.
name already taken

Post by name already taken »

This may have already been asked --if so I am sorry-- but could you update the version that is currently on AMO?
https://addons.mozilla.org/addon.php?id=58

If not is there any way I could beg/bribe you to do it?
"It burns like hygiene!"
fluid_motion

Post by fluid_motion »

In Seamonkey 1.0.1, my undo tabs are loading at the front instead of the end of the tabs. Argh. What can I change in the code to correct this?
dorando

Post by dorando »

name already taken wrote:This may have already been asked --if so I am sorry-- but could you update the version that is currently on AMO?
https://addons.mozilla.org/addon.php?id=58

If not is there any way I could beg/bribe you to do it?
IMHO keeping the data updated on addons.mozilla.org is the responsibility of whoever submitted it there ( https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=247689 ) and not me.

I would have no problem maintaining the entry, but the site has been considerable harmful to developers and users on multiple occasions in the pasts (and it still plagued by various problems from time to time, the most recent one being that <a href="https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=332843">old urls</a> have been broken).

But the worst problem is, because they are official, they give average users the impression that it would be save to install from their website (which is unlikely as there don't seem to be any security audits, and because closed source extensions are accepted).

Still, I might reconsider the situation once they have a formal policy and remove the beta sign (which is often used as an excuse for failures).

fluid_motion wrote:In Seamonkey 1.0.1, my undo tabs are loading at the front instead of the end of the tabs. Argh. What can I change in the code to correct this?
In undoclosetab.jar!/content/undoclosetab.xul removing the line

Code: Select all

if(this.moveTabTo) this.moveTabTo(this.selectedTab, aTab[0]);
should make it work.
egeezer

1.5.4 disables UndoCloseTab

Post by egeezer »

FYI- Installation of Firefox 1.5.0.4 disables UndoCloseTab. No updates are available through the FF extension update utility.
Cheers,

EG
egeezer

Update - the posted update works on 1.5.0.4

Post by egeezer »

mal_g wrote:Some kind fellow has just uploaded an updated version here:

Just verified, this update works on 1.5.0.4. :)
Cheers,

EG
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Again a missing release candidate (for Firefox 1.5.0.3), I suppose. ;)

dorando wrote:So I should claim that my extensions works with something that I haven't tested with? The likelihood of undoclosetab being broken by a minor security fix is higher than keyconfig being broken by a major release so I might claim maxVersion 2.* for it?

As valid as your view is, it's IMO quite extreme. Do you really test your extensions on all released versions of Firefox (Linux and Mac builds and all locales)? And since the devs promised to keep the 1.5.0.* API compatible, why would you suppose that your extensions could break at a security update? As history shows, the chance of you testing the extension after a release is way bigger than the chance of your extension accidentally being broken by such a release (which AFAICT so far never happened). As for claiming 2.* compatibility (or even 1.5.*), that's obviously a DON'T since there might be API changes (e.g. nsIFormHistory has been removed from the 1.8.1 branch)...

dorando wrote:Even if it would be correct to claim compatibility with 1.5.0.* it would be incorrect doing so in the install.rdf as this would prevent compatibility downgrade (as the updateURL isn't checked for this at install time, only at app upgrade).

I don't get your point. If you don't claim 1.5.0.* compatibility in install.rdf, you're preventing an offline installation of your extension; and if you don't do so in update.rdf, you're preventing an update without reinstallation. In any way, your users have a much bigger chance to get an inconvenience than what you're trying to protect them from...
dorando

Post by dorando »

egeezer wrote:FYI- Installation of Firefox 1.5.0.4 disables UndoCloseTab.
There is no 'Firefox 1.5.0.4', and it was already compatible with Firefox 1.5.0.3 at the time of your post.

zeniko wrote:Again a missing release candidate (for Firefox 1.5.0.3), I suppose. ;)
This time there was a release candidate (in releases/1.5.0.3/update/), and I've updated my update.rdf a few days ago. It doesn't seem like there were any announcements regarding the RC.

zeniko wrote:Do you really test your extensions on all released versions of Firefox (Linux and Mac builds and all locales)?
There is no need to test all platforms because authors are not forced to claim that an extension works with a specific platform (as they are with versions).

zeniko wrote:And since the devs promised to keep the 1.5.0.* API compatible [...]
Firefox 1.0.x releases were supposed to not break any extension but it still happened (IIRC one author said that three releases broke her/his extension). While Firefox 1.0.x releases were supposed to only have security related changes Firefox 1.5.0.x releases are supposed to include other changes, so they are much more likely to break extensions.

zeniko wrote:[...] why would you suppose that your extensions could break at a security update?
Because there were already security updates which have broken extensions (various in 1.0.x, but 1.5.0.2 might have broken some with xpcom). Also undoclosetab uses runtime patching, and as with any form of patch it will fail if the underlying code has been changed and the reference points were modified.

zeniko wrote:As for claiming 2.* compatibility (or even 1.5.*), that's obviously a DON'T since there might be API changes (e.g. nsIFormHistory has been removed from the 1.8.1 branch)...
I wonder why some of your extensions have a maxVersion higher than 1.5.0.* then...

zeniko wrote:[...] you're preventing an offline installation of your extension;
Offline installation of extensions is something the devs intentionally dropped support for (but it is still possible by manually setting app.extensions.version).

zeniko wrote:In any way, your users have a much bigger chance to get an inconvenience than what you're trying to protect them from...
Blame the devs for not providing a way to ignore compatibility checks for security releases (a warning would be enough). It isn't my responsibility to work around an issue they intentionally introduced.

Also I am not 'trying to protect' someone, I simply don't like being forced to claim something I can't possibly know...
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Thanks for your answers. I hope you didn't take any offense - for none was intended. I was just curious as to what were your reasons for how you're handling maxVersions.

dorando wrote:I wonder why some of your extensions have a maxVersion higher than 1.5.0.* then...

Because I consider these constraints ridiculous and don't care about my users. ;) To be precise: on AMO I don't claim more than 1.5.0.* compatibility - and here I hope to deal with (mostly) grown-up users...

dorando wrote:Blame the devs for not providing a way to ignore compatibility checks for security releases (a warning would be enough). It isn't my responsibility to work around an issue they intentionally introduced.

True and true. Robert Strong said he was considering allowing this for Firefox 2 should he get the time for it. And until then, authors are obviously handling this issue in different ways...
fluid_motion

Post by fluid_motion »

dorando wrote:
fluid_motion wrote:In Seamonkey 1.0.1, my undo tabs are loading at the front instead of the end of the tabs. Argh. What can I change in the code to correct this?
In undoclosetab.jar!/content/undoclosetab.xul removing the line

Code: Select all

if(this.moveTabTo) this.moveTabTo(this.selectedTab, aTab[0]);
should make it work.

Thanks, works great! :)