[Ext] Session Manager 0.4 to 0.4.3

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

Is anyone else using Session Manager and Trunk 3.0 builds successfully? I keep crashing a lot with ntdll.dll errors and possible others?
mel reyes • mrtech.com • BlogPlaxoLinkedInTwitter
Support mrtech.com get our toolbar
Muescha

Post by Muescha »

zeniko wrote:
Muescha wrote:can i automatic save of all errors in a log file?

You should be able to do so with the JS console output redirector extension.

Muescha wrote:
great :-) it helps much :-)

Muescha wrote:you remove in crashrecovery.js in function "openWindowWithState" the argument "argString" ... maybe it depends on it?

Thanks for the analysis. I've re-added that argument for <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/sessionmanager-dev.xpi">v0.4.0.8+</a>. Please verify that the issue is gone.

now it works with v0.4.0.8+
Muescha

Post by Muescha »

for the Problems:

- crash at startup
- crash at restoring sessions with multiple windows

i find out the bad extension:

firebug dont work in combination with MAF or PageZoom [de]

with the console logging tool i find out, that firebug goes into a endless error-loop because of a error in the firebug source.

this endless loop only happens if:
- SessionManager restore Sessions at startup
- SessionManager restore sessions with multiple windows

Testcases:
FB - FireBug 0.3.2
MA - Mozilla Archive Format 0.6.3
PZ - PageZoom [de] 0.3.0
SM - SessionManager

Code: Select all

+================+=========+==========+=====================+===============+
| SessionManager | FireBug | PageZoom | Mozilla File Format |     works?    |
|      +         |         |    +     |                     |       ok      |
+----------------+---------|----------|---------------------|---------------|
|      +         |         |          |          +          |       ok      |
|      +         |         |    +     |          +          |       ok      |
|      +         |   +     |          |                     |       ok      |
|      +         |   +     |    +     |                     |      error    |
|      +         |   +     |          |          +          |      error    |
|      +         |   +     |    +     |          +          |      error    |
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

mrtech wrote:Is anyone else using Session Manager and Trunk 3.0 builds successfully? I keep crashing a lot with ntdll.dll errors and possible others?

Does this also happen on a clean profile? If so, please file bugs again the Trunk. Session Manager as a pure JS extension shouldn't be able to crash the browser at all. And the new SessionStore component is largely based on Crash Recovery and might thus exhibit similar issues when it's finally enabled.

Muescha wrote:i find out the bad extension:

firebug dont work in combination with MAF or PageZoom [de]

Please notify Joe Hewitt (Firebug's author) about this issue. I prefer not to include hacks which only happen in very specific situations (and of course I'm convinced that I'm not doing anything irrecular ;)).
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

zeniko wrote:
mrtech wrote:Is anyone else using Session Manager and Trunk 3.0 builds successfully? I keep crashing a lot with ntdll.dll errors and possible others?

Does this also happen on a clean profile? If so, please file bugs again the Trunk. Session Manager as a pure JS extension shouldn't be able to crash the browser at all. And the new SessionStore component is largely based on Crash Recovery and might thus exhibit similar issues when it's finally enabled.

ntdll.dll bug already filed against trunk, I've added my talkbacks, I'm assuming it's an issue with the disk writes as ntdll.dll is a core component and recent fx changes, was just wondering if anyone else was seeing this.

btw, this happens with both Session Manager and Crash Recovery, not with SessionSaver or other extensions, if it helps any.
mel reyes • mrtech.com • BlogPlaxoLinkedInTwitter
Support mrtech.com get our toolbar
dougeeebear

Post by dougeeebear »

zeniko wrote:@dougeeebear: You'll just have to use confirmEx instead of confirm.

Thanks for that info.
I have the button titles displaying correctly, but both buttons execute this.remove(aSession).
If I click on "Don't Delete", it still deletes the session.
There must be something else I'm missing, but the references don't show anything else.
I'm using the code from this page.

gSessionManager.__remove = function(aSession) {

var title = "Delete This Session";

var promptService = Components.classes["@mozilla.org/embedcomp/prompt-service;1"]
                    .getService(Components.interfaces.nsIPromptService);

var flags=promptService.BUTTON_TITLE_IS_STRING * promptService.BUTTON_POS_0 +
          promptService.BUTTON_TITLE_IS_STRING * promptService.BUTTON_POS_1;

promptService.confirmEx(window, title,
  ('Delete...[ ' + (this.mSessionCache[aSession].name) + ' ]...Are You Sure?'),
  flags, "Delete Session", "Don't Delete", null, null, {});

this.remove(aSession);
};
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

mrtech wrote:btw, this happens with both Session Manager and Crash Recovery, not with SessionSaver or other extensions, if it helps any.

You don't have to tell me. Tell the devs over at Bugzilla. ;) Crash Recovery (and thus Session Manager) do in fact write as late as "quit-application" (SessionSaver does so much earlier - "quit-application-requested"). This should however be absolutely harmless (since it works anywhere but with Minefield - and since if this shouldn't work, you shouldn't get more than JS errors).

Are you actually able to reproduce the crashes on a clean profile? This could even be due to an incompatibility with another extension... (if it is, please bug them, not me ;))

dougeeebear wrote:If I click on "Don't Delete", it still deletes the session.
There must be something else I'm missing, but the references don't show anything else.

XULPlanet wrote:Returns:
index of the button pressed.

So you'll have to check for <code>confirmEx(...) == 0</code>.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

A note for nightly users: <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/sessionmanager.xpi">Session Manager 0.4.1</a> disables the new SessionStore and replaces it with its own (Crash Recovery - of which SessionStore is a fork). I'll probably port core improvements from SessionStore back to Crash Recovery (however not the API), but don't expect Session Manager to work without Crash Recovery from me...
heraldo

Post by heraldo »

is it possible to edit the navigation toolbar buttons for us users? i would like to edit the buttons so they blend in better with firefox orginal theme. Or has someone already made alternative buttons?
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Today's <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/sessionmanager-dev.xpi">testing release</a> (0.4.1.4+) contains a basic protection against repeated crashing: potentially crashy pages are replaced with a warning page. Nothing perfect, but maybe even a better alternative than a dialog from which to deselect tabs (because you'll still have access to the tab's history). Comments?

@modellmakt: You can replace Session Manager's toolbar buttons through the same userChrome.css hackery which can be used to replace any button. Of course you'd need alternative images first...
Muescha

Post by Muescha »

1. need install help for the entry hack

zeniko wrote:
Muescha wrote:in options i can choose the lenght of saved sessions. i set it to 3 for saved tabs and 3 for saved windows.

These are the numbers of remembered closed tabs and windows which can be restored from the Session Manager menu. For the open tabs and windows, of course everything is saved. If you don't like that, you might want to play around with the userChrome.js snippet I posted in the previous thread (also read this post).

"Add the following method to gSessionManager and call it then on the result of getSessionState in the save method"

can you help me how to include this hack to the userchrome.js ?

2. include the entry hack to the core extension
now after some hours i run into a slow phase if the crashrecovery.dat goes high to 220kb.

with sessionmanager it is impossible to use selfrefreshing pages, because of the entry issue. i think other people have the same problem, and so it is better to include the entry hack as optional in the extension core.

3. Repost Data
zeniko wrote:
Muescha wrote:sometimes i restore window/tab with posting data. but sometimes this a already send items. i only get the dialogbox ".... you would resend the posted data?".

That's a limitation of Firefox. There shouldn't be any reposting and - if there is - no dialogs. I'd prefer to have reload pages similar to the error pages used by Gecko, but I haven't figured out how to achieve this. Maybe somebody else will do...

the problem is: if the page is in restore process, then only the "repost data"-dialogbox is opened. there is no url in the adress-textbox. so you have to confirm a repost to a hidden resource.

but you save the posting data in the crashrecovery.dat file as value at "postdata".

so it would be better if there is a repost, then you make a confirmation (maybe in the restored window or direct after the start of the restore) with this informationbox:

[ Repost Data Confirmation - Session Manager - Mozilla FireFox]

to restore this window you need to repost this data:
URL: 
    http://www.mydomain.com/sendto.php
DATA:
    Thread-ID = 123
    Title = My Suggestion
    text = this is a text for a forum message

LAST PREVIOUS URL (without reposting):
    http://www.mydomain.com/form.htm

you confirm to repost this data?
(x) YES - repost this data
( ) NO - open a blank page
( ) NO - open the last page without reposting
( ) NO - open the home-page http://www.mydomain.com/

[ OK ] [ CANCEL ]
Peng

Post by Peng »

If something like that dialog mockup is done, be sure to limit the length of the data displayed. Forum posts can be really long.

Also, I think the options should be something more like "Yes, repost the data", "No, open this page without reposting it", "No, open the last page in that tab" and maybe "No, open my home page" or a blank page.

Also also, I think it might be useful to list the URL it's being posted from.
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
Check out: Adblock Plus | FoxClocks | OpenBook
dougeeebear

Post by dougeeebear »

Peng wrote:Forum posts can be really long.
Yes.
Muescha

Post by Muescha »

but i think this repost data could be also go to a seperate extension, because the repost data is chrome-thing.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

I've slightly modified how the crash warning works. Please test today's <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/sessionmanager-dev.xpi">testing version</a> (0.4.1.5+) and comment on what you think about them.

Muescha wrote:1. need install help for the entry hack

The short version is: add <a href="data:text/javascript,gSessionManager.removeTabHistory%20%3D%20function(aState)%20%7B%0A%09return%20aState.replace(%2F%5Cn%5C%5BWindow(%5Cd%2B%5C.Tab%5Cd%2B)%5C%5D%5Cn%5B%5Cs%5CS%5D*%3F(%3F%3D%5Cn%5C%5BWindow(%3F!%5C1)%7C%24)%2Fg%2C%20function(%240%2C%20%241)%20%7B%0A%09%09var%20data%20%3D%20%240.split(%22%5Cn%5Cn%22)%3B%0A%09%09if%20(%2F%5Eindex%3D(%5Cd%2B)%2Fm.test(data%5B0%5D))%20%7B%0A%09%09%09var%20index%20%3D%20RegExp.%241%3B%0A%09%09%09data%5B0%5D%20%3D%20data%5B0%5D.replace(%2F%5E(index%3D)%5Cd%2B%2Fm%2C%20%22%2411%22)%3B%0A%09%09%09return%20data.filter(function(aEntry%2C%20aIx)%20%7B%0A%09%09%09%09var%20header%20%3D%20%22%5BWindow%22%20%2B%20%241%20%2B%20%22.Entry%22%20%2B%20index%3B%0A%09%09%09%09return%20aIx%20%3D%3D%200%20%7C%7C%20aEntry.indexOf(header%20%2B%20%22%5D%22)%20%3D%3D%200%20%7C%7C%20aEntry.indexOf(header%20%2B%20%22.%22)%20%3D%3D%200%3B%0A%09%09%09%7D).join(%22%5Cn%5Cn%22).replace(%2F%5E(%5C%5BWindow%5Cd%2B%5C.Tab%5Cd%2B%5C.Entry)%5Cd%2B%2Fgm%2C%20%22%2411%22)%3B%0A%09%09%7D%0A%09%09return%20%240%3B%0A%09%7D)%3B%0A%7D%3B%0A%0Aeval(%22gSessionManager.save%20%3D%20%22%20%2B%20gSessionManager.save.toString().replace(%2Fthis%5C.getSessionState%5C(.*%3F%5C)%2F%2C%20%22this.removeTabHistory(%24%26)%22))%3B%0A">these lines</a> to your userChrome.js.

Note however that this will only work for manually saved sessions. The easiest way of getting this globally would be to edit crashrecovery.js (in the extension's components subdirectory) and change the line

for (var j = 0; j < history.count; j++)

to

for (var j = Math.max(history.index - 1, 0); j < Math.min(history.index + 2, history.count); j++)

(this will save at most three history entries - the current one and the one prior and the one after that). To just get one entry, the line would have to read

for (var j = history.index; j < history.index + 1; j++)

(and by now you should get the idea).

Muescha wrote:2. include the entry hack to the core extension

This won't happen while I develop this extension. I doubt that this would be a much used option. Note that self-refreshing pages aren't supposed to add new entries to the tab's history at every refresh. If they do, consider them broken.

Muescha wrote:3. Repost Data

As I already mentioned: there's currently nothing I can do about this - no need to argue.