Copy&Paste Info

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
jilschro

copy/paste

Post by jilschro »

I am not an expert, I also have the copy/paste problem which I just noticed with the upload of the new Firefox. I don't have the pushow* file. I am using xp on a pc. any ideas what to do?
zip9982

Post by zip9982 »

jilschro wrote:I am not an expert, I also have the copy/paste problem which I just noticed with the upload of the new Firefox. I don't have the pushow* file. I am using xp on a pc. any ideas what to do?

Let me guess, you don't have any logitech drivers either.
jilschro

copy/paste

Post by jilschro »

I don't see any logitech drivers. But I am only semi computer literate, where to look besdies system folder? Thanks by the way for not making me feel stupid.
frankvdberg

Post by frankvdberg »

What may be interesting to look for, is what all of the mentioned causes have in common.
This of course going with the assumption that the problem with firefox in caused by something external and is not a bug, but perhaps even a feature since it finds (in a manner of speaking) trojans that many add-blockes and virusscanners miss !

Since the virusus are keyloggers, clickers and add-popups etc and logitech also has something to do with manipulating data in the system input queue, I think that there will be more programs out there (keyboard or any other HID drivers) that will have the same effect.

(how this relates to the same problem on PC and Mac ?? no idea...)
jilschro

copy/paste

Post by jilschro »

I reset my computer back to the last time changes were made to see if the copy/paste snafu would clear up. Well, I still can't copy/past from Firefox to Outlook Express but i can paste to Word. Frankly, I don't know if I could do that before. I use this paste feature a lot and am getting tired of this problem...do I have to go back to IE?
FlyingPenguin

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Count me as another one. Running WinXP Pro on both affected systems, SP2, all latest Windows Updates.

I'm an IT tech and I can guarantee both systems are virus and spyware clean (I do this for a living). Can't find any of the DLLs mentioned previously.

Using a Logitech mouse on one system, and Synaptics touch pad on the other. No drivers installed for the Logitech (I prefer not to install any mouse software).

It seems to me this only started since 1.5.0.3 not the .02 version, as I've only noticed it very recently.

I too am a heavy copy paste user, and it's annoying. I've also noticed that when this happens it also affects the cursor key navigation: you can't use the left arrow for instance to move back to an earlier place in a URL address to edit a letter for example. Restarting Firefox seems to temporarily fix it.

The copy/paste and editing issues are not consistent. They come and go.

Anyone research whether it may be an extension, like Spellbound?
old np

Post by old np »

If it doesn't happen in safe mode, it's not an extension.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode

There's a fixed bug (the fix is to be released with 1.5.0.4) that deals with it not working specifically on Windows, unrelated to malware. If this bugs the hell out of you and you can't wait a couple weeks for the solution, you can try out 1.5.0.4 Release Candidates. Be warned, this is unstable code that could break other things and blow up the world, so you might want to back up your profile first.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup
FlyingPenguin

Post by FlyingPenguin »

VERY cool! Thank you for the feedback, and glad you guys have tracked down the bug.

I'll wait for the official release - prefer to wait for stable code.
name already taken

Post by name already taken »

I sent the people at spybot some of the pushowxx.dll files in the bug, hopefully they can get this included in their scan files.
"It burns like hygiene!"
dlauber

Post by dlauber »

Is the cut and paste problem being discussed here the same as the problem I've run into that past few weeks: I cannot paint text in FireFox 1.0.5.3 (Windows XP, all updates installed) in order to cut and paste. In other words, if I try to paint text the screen simply moves, but no text can be painted. Links work just fine.

The files mentioned in this thread (new.net and pushowxx.dll) are not present on my computer. On the other computers in my office the nearly identical FireFox installations are working just fine. Any ideas?

<B>Never mind</B> Sorry, but the problem turned out to be the Grab and Drag extension being activated. It has now been banished from my computer. Sorry to take up space here.
Last edited by dlauber on May 13th, 2006, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
krag

Post by krag »

"Ed, I found 1 linux user, and 3 Mac users.. so its not exclusive to Windows"

Mac does not use .dll or .net
The supposed solutions did zero for our Win2000 machines.

Can't copy/paste or tab is a FF bug. No FF moderator has confirmed its malware.

FF 1.5.0.1 works fine on Mac & Win - we reinstalled FF .1 on our Win.
We switched the Macs to camino
"There are only 10 kinds of people. Those that understand binary and those that don't."
jilschro

copy/paste

Post by jilschro »

I did a little more researchand discovered that I can copy and paste into Excel, Word, Wordperfect, Powerpoint and Outlook - it seems the only program I can't copy and paste into is Outlook Express. Maybe it's a problem with Outlook Express and Firefox?
name already taken

Post by name already taken »

krag wrote:Can't copy/paste or tab is a FF bug. No FF moderator has confirmed its malware.

This thread is specifically about the malware problem, for other causes of this problem see here:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Clipboard_not_working
"It burns like hygiene!"
daveyb

Post by daveyb »

Hi,

I found this problem when trying to paste something through my CMS this morning. Having found this thread I searched for pushow* without success (running Win98SE) but did try uninstalling Logitech's Setpoint which completely alleviated the problem.

There's nothing at all that I can find on Logitech's site about this. Does anyone know if this is a bug or if there is a solution to enable Setpoint to be used?

Thanks, David
Rain004

Post by Rain004 »

Do i have to delete pushowxx.dll ?????????