Clearing Google Search History Entries 2.0 Beta 1

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
L.A.R. Grizzly

Clearing Google Search History Entries 2.0 Beta 1

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

OK, now I'm getting a little annoyed. Why fill the search box with a bunch of default entries which I'm never going to use? That would be OK if I could clear them! Now I have to scroll through the default ones to locate one I recently used. How do I clear the Search History of all this added garbage?

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.8.1a2) Gecko/20060510 BonEcho/2.0a2
Last edited by L.A.R. Grizzly on July 27th, 2006, 6:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.9.1esr, Thunderbird 115.9.0, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

These aren't default entries: that's Google Suggest doing its job. Unfortunately there's currently no way to disable this feature. If you're annoyed, please file a bug (haven't found one, so far).
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

zeniko,

Sorry, I didn't realize it was from Google! I should have known it was spam, it recommends Britney Spears, Travelocity, Paris Hilton etc. It's the same for Yahoo! I get defaults for it too! They have to ruin everything. I wish someone would come up with a popup blocker for the TV! I hate those annoying lower-screen banners during a program! AARRGGHH!! :furious:
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.9.1esr, Thunderbird 115.9.0, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

It's not spam - it's a feature. ;) Now, please relax and tell me whether you're going to file a bug (otherwise I am)...
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

zeniko,

Go ahead, file. I'm new at this Nightly stuff. Just getting my feet wet. I would call unwanted search entries spam, they're just little advertisements as far as I'm concerned. #-o
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

I've filed bug 337491 for this issue.
jofta

Post by jofta »

zeniko wrote:I've filed bug 337491 for this issue.

Thanks.. The world has enough suggestions and doesn't need more from a browser search bar :)
Old i of the storm

Post by Old i of the storm »

I second that. At least an about:config entry at this point would be nice.
iTIE

Post by iTIE »

I had to vote for the bug. There was no way I couldnt... I started to search for "pandemic" and I got as far as typing "pa" before the search bar informed me that it thought I might've been searching for "Paris Hilton." D: <shudder>
"Hooray! I'm helping!" - Dr. Zoidberg while being held hostage.
OldNerdGuy

Post by OldNerdGuy »

This is beyond annoying, it is abusive, it is pandering to Google by Mozilla, it is selling the users (that would be us). This is something vile and evil and not what I would have expected from Mozilla. It is one thing to sell the premier search spot to Google, but to put in a feature like this is just WRONG!!!

Make it available, if you must, but turn it off by default.

I voted for the bug, and I would encourage everyone to do so. This is a royal sell-out and screw job by Firefox.
gssq

Post by gssq »

I replaced the xml in the searchplugins folder with an older version - no more Google Suggest!
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

gssq wrote:I replaced the xml in the searchplugins folder with an older version - no more Google Suggest!

Thanks for the tip! I replaced both the Google and Yahoo! .xml files from a backup I had. My search suggestions are now gone! Kudos!
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Old i of the storm

Post by Old i of the storm »

Nice, but there still needs to be an option to do it, because 99% of people who upgrade to Firefox 2.0 do not read this forum and will be wondering when/why they searched for Paris Hilton, etc.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

OldNerdGuy is right! Call it pandering or a sell out, but IMHO this garbage is another step towards Firefox becoming a Google branded browser. As much of a Firefox fan as I am and as much as I recognize how much Ben has done for Mozilla, I wonder if this is an example of the lead developer being on Google's payroll?

Phoenix > Firebird > Firefox > ? Google

Using an older google.xml file didn't get rid of that suggestion garbage for me. What file date works? The contents of five different google.xml files that I have is identical.

Why doesn't Minefield offer these suggestions?

I am doubting that the google.xml file has anything to do with the suggestions.

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

the-edmeister wrote:What file date works? The contents of five different google.xml files that I have is identical.

I am doubting that the google.xml file has anything to do with the suggestions.

The date on the files I used was May 9 and it is 2178KB for Google and 667KB for Yahoo!. The suggestions are now gone on my system. All I did was replace the files as recommended!

Links to download the files I used:

Right click and "Save Link As..."

Google

Yahoo!

They will be available for about 5 weeks.
Last edited by L.A.R. Grizzly on July 27th, 2006, 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security