www.census2006.ca

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
NeverGoSki

www.census2006.ca

Post by NeverGoSki »

If you're having trouble with filling out the online version of the 2006 Canadian census, at http://www.census2006.ca then follow these steps.

BTW: as of 2005 05 08 www.census2006.ca specifically rejects firefox :(
Here's the work around.

It is known to work for firefox 1.5.0.2 and 1.0.7, but 1.5.0.3 crashes :(

1) Get & Install Firefox 1.5.0.2 (en-US) (ca is some other language Catalan?)
http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla ... 0.2.tar.gz

-- exact commands
~/bin/$ tar zxvf firefox-1.5.0.2.tar.gz
~/bin/$ mv firefox firefox.1.5.0.2
~/bin/$ ln -s firefox-1.5.0.2/firefox firefox

2) Get & Install User Agent Switcher
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/59/

3) Start Firefox
Expand the Tools menu
Expand the last option "User Agent Switcher >"
Hold your nose
Choose "Internet Explorer 6 (Windows XP)"

4) You can now by pass the Broken browser check at stats can.
http://www.census2006.ca

5) But you also have to Get & install Java Run Time
http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
Download
jre-1_5_0_06-linux-i586.bin

-- exact commands
~bin/$ chmod 755 ~/jre-1_5_0_06-linux-i586.bin
~bin/$ ~/jre-1_5_0_06-linux-i586.bin

6) Install the JRE Plugin to firefox

-- exact commands
~/bin/$ cd firefox.1.5.0.2/plugins/
~/bin/firefox.1.5.0.2/plugins/$ ln -s ~/bin/jre1.5.0_06/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so .

7) Verify The install worked
http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
Click on the Step 3 Verify.
And then the Validate button.
You should receive verification that the plugin & JRE passed all tests.

8) Go to
Click Start.
Get rejected because of browser
Repeat step 3.

9) Go to
Click Start.

10)
Dismiss the dialog which pops up and says "Fail".

11) Enter your access code.. etc.
Saoshyant

Post by Saoshyant »

I'd like to add to this very good work around that it doesn't only apply to Linux. If you are on Windows, and you don't wish to switch to IE, just follow steps 2 and 3, i.e. install the User Agent Switcher extension, and fool the system into thinking you're using IE.

It's sad, but that's how it is.

Cory Doctorow wrote:Statistics Canadian -- a Federal agency -- is conducting a national census that Canadians can participate in via the Web, but only if they use Microsoft's Internet Explorer or Apple's Safari. Free and open browsers like Firefox are explicitly excluded. There's two jaw-dropping elements to this story: one, that the Canadian government requires Canadians to use American software to complete the national census; and two, that they require all kinds of high-tech crapola to fill in a survey.

Post by Guest »

As of 2005 05 09 it's working fine in firefox :? It even gave me an intermediate page for users of some browsers (Netscape, Mozilla, Firefox, i think) warning to ignore any 'unresponsive script' warnings and click cancel on them, so I don't see how they'd be blocking firefox..

Post by Guest »

Also, I'm going to flat-out disagree with Cory on this one - "that they require all kinds of high-tech crapola to fill in a survey"? The census data is used by a myriad of businesses and researchers for a huge number of applications. Sure, respondents don't necessarily tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth on it, but statistically it's still a fairly good sample. Do you have any idea how quickly that statistical significance would go down the shitter if anyone (from any country) who was slightly bored could fill it out?

And "[..] Canadians to use American software to complete the national census"? This is jaw-dropping? Free trade, anyone? I wonder where the companies that manufactured Mr. Doctorow's computer have their headquarters - anyone care to bet it isn't in Canada? And for that matter, can anyone find me an all-canadian OS? Seriously, this would fall under 'meaningless xenophobia' as far as I can tell.
dakboy

Post by dakboy »

Saoshyant wrote:I'd like to add to this very good work around that it doesn't only apply to Linux. If you are on Windows, and you don't wish to switch to IE, just follow steps 2 and 3, i.e. install the User Agent Switcher extension, and fool the system into thinking you're using IE.
If the system accepts other versions of Firefox, use the user-agent strings for those browsers. Don't pander to IE.
fahlmanc

Post by fahlmanc »

Anonymous wrote:Also, I'm going to flat-out disagree with Cory on this one - "that they require all kinds of high-tech crapola to fill in a survey"? The census data is used by a myriad of businesses and researchers for a huge number of applications. Sure, respondents don't necessarily tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth on it, but statistically it's still a fairly good sample. Do you have any idea how quickly that statistical significance would go down the shitter if anyone (from any country) who was slightly bored could fill it out?

umm. R U SERIOUS?

Regardless of what software the online census might use, not anybody from any country can fill out this thing. You need a code which arrives in the mail. That mail is only sent to Canadians. Completing it online is an option, you can still mail in the papers. It isn't a sample, its a census. It's required by law to take part, and a criminal offense not too.

I suppose some Canadian could send out this code to their friend in south america, and they might complete the census for them (illegally), maybe using some sort of proxying. Big Deal. They could do that with the paper one too. WHO CARES? Requiring "Java" for "Security consideration" is a false requirement.

This software was miswritten. There ought to have been requirements for accessability and universality so that all reasonably modern OSes and Browsers could use the census's web forms, and so that users with disabilities could complete them, without the need to install other plugins and programs. Those standards exist and are supported by all major browsers. They're the basis for success for companies like eBay and Yahoo and Google (etc). If banks and companies can make near universally accessible and secure website forms, why not the government? Why the reliance on one vendor's products (Java), and why the touting of this partnership with Bell (nevertheless, a canadian company)? I don't give a hoot that it was Bell that did this work, I only care that it was shoddy work and that using java is the wrong solution to the problem at hand. I fear it was just slap-dashed together, with requirements written by some know-nothing bureaucrat following political orders.

I am mystified why the government's touting it. And why was Bell allowed to write a corporatist help page for it? It's an embarrassment for Bell and for the Government.

It isn't (or wasn't) just linux users affected, but mac users as well ...

Post by Guest »

FIrefox worked great for me
Sheldon England

Post by Sheldon England »

Anonymous wrote:Seriously, this would fall under 'meaningless xenophobia' as far as I can tell.

But it'll be a good excuse for me NOT filling out the census.

"It didn't work with my browser ... yeah, that's it."

- Sheldon
Pari_IT

Post by Pari_IT »

Sorry to be a kill joy but I just opened the site no problem in FF and I'm in little old NZ. It does mention that in FF you may get a warning but just click cancel carry on. Looks like you just have to do the census after all.
Using V 1.08

Post by Guest »

I just completed it with 1.5.0.3 I did have to allow access to the site for scripts. It did warn about "canceling" if using mozilla or firefox. I suspect they re-coded in a few short days when they started checking their logs (I really expect they are tracking which browsers are connecting...and from where...)
visiteur

Do it online NOW with Mozilla or Firefox with LINUX

Post by visiteur »

The Census online available since May 2nd always worked with Mozilla or Firefox.

The important update is that Statistics Canada has removed the restriction for Linux. This change takes effect May 13th, 2006. =D>

Refer to: http://www12.statcan.ca/IRC/english/advisory_e.htm

"This broadened access to open-source users is available to those who have a valid browser and JVM. These minimum requirements are necessary in order to maintain the same level of data encryption with Public Key Infrastructure (PKI). You must have a browser with Java virtual machine (JVM) from Sun Microsystems Inc. (Version 1.4.2_3 or higher)"

Before visiting www.census2006.ca , you should clear your browser's cache or close and reopen your browser.

The initial list of combinations work are :

• Fedora core 5 with Firefox 1.0.4 or more recent
• Suse Linux 10 with Firefox 1.0.4 or more recent

If you discover that other combinations function or do not function well under different versions of Linux, please publish on this forum. Do it online NOW! It is easy and fun!
Daniel Harker

Post by Daniel Harker »

I can't figure this form out

Post by Guest »

To my surprise, I had no problems whatsoever doing my Canadian census with firefox 1.5.0.3 3 weeks ago. You may want to check your extensions or go in safe mode.

Post by Guest »

I wont to submite census form
croner

census form

Post by croner »

Anonymous wrote:I wont to submite census form