[Ext] Session Manager 0.4 to 0.4.3

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

ottawa wrote:I start Firefox (1.5.0.3) with about 60 tabs that have to be opened from the last session (the day before). I am asked to key in the master-password of Firefox's password manager (and the password of the proxy I'm using) about 10 times, obviously the amount of tabs where a login-form is to be filled out (i.e. webmail).

I've looked at the password code Firefox uses and have come to the conclusion that (1) this is a bug (there shouldn't be more than one master-password dialog) and that (2) there's nothing I can do against it except either disabling password prefilling altogether or disabling sequential tab loading. Until I make up my mind, you can as a work-around edit the file crashrecovery.js (found somewhere in your profile folder) and change the line

Code: Select all

aWindow.setTimeout(restoreHistory, 0, aWindow, aTabs, aWarningURL, idMap);

to

restoreHistory(aWindow, aTabs, aWarningURL, idMap);

Petula wrote:Firefox prevented your site from installing it, to protect my computer.

I hope you feel well protected. ;) To get around Firefox protecting you, either allow extension installation for that site (through the "Edit Options..." button); or drag&drop the installation link to the address bar; or download the extension and install it from your hard disk.
Peng

Post by Peng »

zeniko: Out of curiosity, what does that change change?
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
Check out: Adblock Plus | FoxClocks | OpenBook
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Trunk users: you'll have to update to the latest <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/sessionmanager-dev.xpi">testing version</a> (0.4.1.7+) to get it working again (this takes the nsIThreadManager changes into account).

Peng wrote:zeniko: Out of curiosity, what does that change change?

It just disables the sequential tab reloading (i.e. no tab will be accessible until all tabs have started loading - while currently the first tab is available much faster, but you'll have to wait slightly longer until the last tab is there as well).
dougeeebear

Post by dougeeebear »

zeniko wrote: you can as a work-around edit the file crashrecovery.js (found somewhere in your profile folder)
It's "somewhere" in the profile folder alright... profile/extensions/.../.../... :)
Petula

Post by Petula »

Dear Hug Peng
Thankyou for hinting at the topic of whitelist (and allowed sites, etc).
I figured out what you meant after a good deal of browsing.
Petula

Post by Petula »

Dear Hug Peng
Thankyou for hinting about white lists (and allowed sites, etc) in Firefox.
I figured out what you were hinting at, after a good deal of browsing around.
Muescha

Post by Muescha »

History Length

i have some tabs with a big history. it goes to crashrecovery with up to 50 entries.

i requested for cutting this at a option dialog.

maybe it helps to reduce these entries by changing the value of "browser.sessionhistory.max_entries" in prefs?
Muescha

Post by Muescha »

Knowledge Base

you give here in the forum some hacks for changing the session manager.
because you not implement this hacks in session manager it would be nice to have a knowledge base or a wiki where these hacks are listed for new users, which not read all the complete forumthreads.
Muescha

Post by Muescha »

I have more ideas about the crashwarning:

Crash_warning.xhtml

this is a very nice information :-)

1) which order

but the order is for the first time usage not clear.

--> better to include a timestamp (if available to each link)
--> mark the link which is opened wenn i click the "ignore warning" button

2) more information.

--> add a timestamp (if available to each link)
--> add the title to a link
--> mark links with postdata and add a "[details>>] for postdata links with information.

3) gui changes

--> long links goes over the right border of the info-box. the infobox could be have the "flex"-attribute or extend as wide like the link
--> add a access-key for ignore button
--> change the ignore button to the top. after this show the links. this is more easy to navigate with keyboard.

4) delete "Crash_warning.xhtml" from history

after i go to the last active page it would be better, if you delete the "Crash_warning.xhtml" entry from the history. otherwise at the next crashrecovery it is shown again the "Crash_warning.xhtml" many times

5) sometimes there are too much crash warnings.

--> it would be nice to change the trigger for this.
--> add a checkbox at crash warning page: [x] do not recover this url again

6) navigate to all crashwarnings

i need a tool, to guide me through all unanswered "tab saved" tabs
--> add some buttons to symbolbar: navigate to the next crash warning
--> add a checkbox tho crash warning: [x] after tab restoring navigate to the text recovered tab

7) Recover Status window:

the restoring take a little time for each window and the tabs.
best is a dialogbox with a global information about the recovering status.

like:

"xxxx sites of xxxx restored"

or like a list:

===============================================================================
| #    |Title                  | Url                       | Status           |
|      |                       |                           |                  |
| 1.   | <<Window with tabs>>  |                           |                  |
| 1.1  | Google                | http://www.google.de/     | completed        |
| 1.2  | spiegel.de            | http://www.spiegel.de/    | in process ...   |
| 1.3  | heise.de              | http://www.heise.de/      | waiting          |
| 1.4  | heise.de              | http://www.heise.de/jobs  | waiting          |
| 2.   | heise.de              | http://www.heise.de       | waiting          |
| [XXXX___ 20% _______] 1 of 5 pages restored                                 |

8) POSTDATA

i know you say: oh no! not more this discussion. but i have some additional ideas.

for my problem no info for "POSTDATA" you could make the same page like "crash warning" but name it "REPOST DATA" with the same informations (and the postdata-details).

why?
a postdata dialog pause all POSTDATA restoring tabs in a window.
this "confirm postdata" page make the restoring process run through all restoring tabs without interacting.

how to findout when are POSTDATA-Pages come?
in the session manager *.session file is a entry with "POSTDATA=" value for pages which have POSTDATA.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Muescha wrote:History Length

Session Manager already implicitly respects the pref browser.sessionhistory.max_entries (because Firefox won't ever give it more than so many entries to save). Just note that you can't set that pref from about:config but have to edit the default pref file <install_dir>/defaults/pref/firefox.js (reason).

Muescha wrote:Knowledge Base

An entry over at the Knowledge Base would indeed be nice. Please just don't expect me to do all the writing...

Muescha wrote:I have more ideas about the crashwarning:

These are good suggestions - but I prefer to leave them to whoever takes over the extension, because of lack of time and motivation. Fortunately you shouldn't see these crash warnings too often (and you can completely disable them if needed).
ottawa

Post by ottawa »

zeniko wrote:
ottawa wrote:I start Firefox (1.5.0.3) with about 60 tabs that have to be opened from the last session (the day before). I am asked to key in the master-password of Firefox's password manager (and the password of the proxy I'm using) about 10 times, obviously the amount of tabs where a login-form is to be filled out (i.e. webmail).

I've looked at the password code Firefox uses and have come to the conclusion that (1) this is a bug (there shouldn't be more than one master-password dialog) and that (2) there's nothing I can do against it except either disabling password prefilling altogether or disabling sequential tab loading. Until I make up my mind, you can as a work-around edit the file crashrecovery.js (found somewhere in your profile folder) and change the line

aWindow.setTimeout(restoreHistory, 0, aWindow, aTabs, aWarningURL, idMap);

to

restoreHistory(aWindow, aTabs, aWarningURL, idMap);

It looks as if my problem is solved. At first I lost my sessions, but then I read in this thread that version 0.4.1.7+ is necessary -> OK.
dougeeebear

Post by dougeeebear »

Got so many saved sessions that you are seeing the scroll buttons at the top and bottom of the list?
You can shorten the list and add side scrollbars by adding this to your userChrome.css or Stylish.

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");

#sessionmanager-toolbar menupopup {
  max-height: 350px; /* or any height you specify */
}

#sessionmanager-toolbar autorepeatbutton {
  display: none;
}

#sessionmanager-toolbar scrollbox {
  overflow-y: auto;
}

Functionality taken from Scrollbar Bookmarks Menu
Stephanie

Post by Stephanie »

Sorry, I don't know if the following is a bug or whether it's caused by some other setting in my browser.

I have just installed Session Manager 0.4.1.1 on a Windows 98SE box running Firefox 1.5.0.3 en-GB. Whenever I start Firefox, I'm now asked to save three files: download.php, then doc_viewer.cgi, then download.php again. The same thing happens if I have Crash Recovery installed instead. If you can tell me what to do to stop this happening I'd be grateful, thanks.
Muescha

Post by Muescha »

zeniko wrote:These are good suggestions - but I prefer to leave them to whoever takes over the extension, because of lack of time and motivation.

then i hope the next developer do not forget this suggestions.

zeniko wrote:Fortunately you shouldn't see these crash warnings too often (and you can completely disable them if needed).

mhh ... i think better i get more of it:
i need a crash warning also for tabs with POSTDATA. i think is the best and easy solution for the POSTDATA problem.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Stephanie wrote:If you can tell me what to do to stop this happening I'd be grateful, thanks.

These files should also appear in the Downloads manager (Tools -> Downloads). Removing them there should take care of the issue. If it doesn't, you might have to delete the file downloads.rdf from your profile folder (this will clear the list in the Downloads manager!).

Muescha wrote:i need a crash warning also for tabs with POSTDATA. i think is the best and easy solution for the POSTDATA problem.

Unfortunately I'm currently not that much of a fan of those crash warning pages. You should still be able to hack this yourself by changing the line

if (tabData.recent && !tabData.text && aWarningURL)

in crashrecovery.js to

if ((tabData.recent || tabData.Entry[tabData.index-1].postdata) && !tabData.text && aWarningURL)