WHY MICROSOFT DRM PLUGIN? REMOVE IT?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Jack Duggan

WHY MICROSOFT DRM PLUGIN? REMOVE IT?

Post by Jack Duggan »

Firfefox 1.5.0.3 - on Win XP Pro SP3

Plugins (11):

* Adobe Acrobat
* Microsoft® DRM <-------------------------- ???
* Mozilla Default Plug-in
* QuickTime Plug-in 7.0.4
* RealPlayer Version Plugin
* RealPlayer(tm) G2 LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In (32-bit)
* Shockwave Flash
* Shockwave for Director
* Star Downloader NS6/Opera Plugin
* WindizUpdate Plug-in
* Windows Media Player Plug-in Dynamic Link Library

Why does a SONY DRM plugin come with FF? Is there any way to remove this?

In fact, where can one go to remove plugins in Firefox and will that destabilize it?
Jack Duggan
jxduggan @ optonline. net
trolly

Post by trolly »

The DRM comes not with FF but WMP 9 or 10. Removing it may break WMP.
To remove it:
Enter about:config in the address bar and find plugin.expose_full_path . Set it to true. You may restart FF after that. Then use about:plugins to find the location of the plugin. Then remove that file while FF is closed. You can also try to remove the references in the registry.

Post by Guest »

It's not a Sony plugin. It's part of Windows Media Player and isn't dangerous. It's used when you purchase and download protected media.
Jack Duggan

Post by Jack Duggan »

Thanks anyway. I removed:

C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\npdrmv2.dll and

C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\npwmsdrm.dll

Only a reference to npdrmv2.dll was in the Registry, which I deleted.

Now every time I remove the two files, they reappear in place within 10-15 seconds. Now I'm really puzzled.

Does anyone know what part of WMP 9 keeps generating the above DRM files?

I only use Media Player Classic. Will it still finction if I totally remove WMP 9?

Thanks,
Jack Duggan
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

Windows XP is probably replacing those files. Where did you get SP3 ? I'd remove that, its not due for at least another year.

Post by Guest »

Now every time I remove the two files, they reappear in place within 10-15 seconds. Now I'm really puzzled.

Windows File Protection
http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/790/

Post by Guest »

Jack Duggan wrote:Thanks anyway. I removed:

C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\npdrmv2.dll and

C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\npwmsdrm.dll

Only a reference to npdrmv2.dll was in the Registry, which I deleted.

Does anyone know what part of WMP 9 keeps generating the above DRM files?

I only use Media Player Classic. Will it still finction if I totally remove WMP 9?

Thanks,

Check the invisible folder: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

Any driver in that cache is automatically replaced if it is deleted from any other location. If deleted from this folder first, it will not be replaced by the system. Then just remove the other instance of the dll.
Jack Duggan

Post by Jack Duggan »

One "Guest" who didn't sign up so I could e-mail him directly, said:

"Contact Microsoft at Microsoft.com and explain to them how you got SP3 for XP PRO since only SP2 has been released.
If you dont like Microsoft Dont use Microsoft as an operating system on your computer."

If you read what I wrote, I don't like Microsoft *DRM,* since it's apparently intentionally made to be extremely difficult to remove, which is a hallmark of spyware or even rootkit-hooked malware. I don't believe I'm far off the mark here, as it behaves very much like 'net nasties.

Give me an e-mail address and I'll send you a copy of my Bellarc Advisor readout that shows 48 files updated to SP3.

"...and I dont see how booting a windows pc with a linux CD solves the problem."

I don't either, unless he thinks one can remove protected dlls from outside the OS, like from a bootable Bart CD.

PostPosted: May Sat 20th 2006 8:55am
"How many times are you going to post this topic?"

Who died and made a teenager moderator?? Fwiw, I will have to keep posting until I find someone who can give me an answer that works. I followed all suggestions and so far nothing has worked, unfortunately. And I thank you for at least trying to help.

I went to Windows File Protection (http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/790/) and changed the value of "SFCDisable" to equal "ffffff9d" to disable WFS and rebooted. Guess what? When I erase the .dll's, it STILL AUTOREPLACES THEM, even after doing all of the above.

The reason I reposted is because no one will read anything this many pages down. As only two guys answered it so far, it probably won't be exposed to anyone else, being 8 pages down, if I correctly understand how this forum works. Please correct me if I got the wrong impression.

JD

NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security Agency may have read this without warrant, warning, or notification. They do this without any judicial or legislative oversight. You have no privacy, no recourse nor protection, save to call for the impeachment and removal of the current President.
Jack Duggan

Post by Guest »

The majority of your system files are protected in this way. Try the delete notepad.exe or iexplore.exe. How about regedit.exe or even wmplayer.exe? They will be immediately replaced as well. Looks like your whole OS is nothing but spyware and rootkits.

Do a web search for Windows File Protection.

Bookmark this thread so you can find it.
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

Jack Duggan wrote:
NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security Agency may have read this without warrant, warning, or notification. They do this without any judicial or legislative oversight. You have no privacy, no recourse nor protection, save to call for the impeachment and removal of the current President.

Take your paranoia to a windows forum, and learn how to remove the DRM.
OH!, and here's your hat:

Post by Guest »

Copy this to a text file and Save as "RemoveDRM.cmd":

Code: Select all

del C:\Windows\System32\dllcache\npdrmv2.dll
del C:\Windows\System32\dllcache\npwmsdrm.dll
del "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\npdrmv2.dll"
del "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\npwmsdrm.dll"

That will wipe out both files at both locations fast enough to beat WFP. When prompted to insert your CD, click Cancel.
Jack Duggan

TO REMOVE MICROSOFT DRM FROM WINDOWS XP SP2

Post by Jack Duggan »

PROBLEM SOLVED

To the Guest who posted: May Sun 21st 2006 3:14am

Your instructions worked. First I tried to use it in the START, RUN command box and it failed.

I then rebooted into SAFE MODE WITH COMMAND PROMPT and ran it from there, whereupon it worked! Elsewhere, in various MS forums, they said it was impossible to remove the Microsft DRM without first removing SP2 and had many conflicting convoluted instructions. However, your solution, like all works of truly talented people, is uncomplicated, direct and impressive. Below is instructions you might want to save for future use:

TO REMOVE MICROSOFT DRM FROM WINDOWS XP SP2 (*.dll's will not die)

Copy this to a text file and Save as "RemoveDRM.cmd" i.e. in the main (C:\) directory:

Code:

del C:\Windows\System32\dllcache\npdrmv2.dll
del C:\Windows\System32\dllcache\npwmsdrm.dll
del "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\npdrmv2.dll"
del "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\npwmsdrm.dll"

Note: This will not work in Win XP inside the RUN command prompt window.

1) Reboot, then keep hitting the F8 key until the SAFE MODE pops up.
2) Select SAFE MODE WITH COMMAND PROMPT
3) Type: cd C:\ with one space between cd and C:\ Hit ENTER
4) Once at the naked C:\ prompt, type the name of the above file that you saved: RemoveDRM.cmd Hit ENTER
5) Repeat step 3) above and you should receive a message that the files you just deleted cannot be found.
6) Kiss the Microsoft DRM goodbye
7) Exit back to Win XP and the files are gone in both locations mentioned above.

If it didn't work, run a SEARCH of your pc for the above two files and adjust the four del command lines above to reflect actual location.

Thanks for your kind help,

Jack

PROBLEM SOLVED
Jack Duggan

Post by Guest »

You should have been able to simply double-click the file to execute once saved. But whatever works for you.
irs009

Post by irs009 »

There is a little program called 'Tunebite' than will eliminate all DRM problems.
Ginch

Comments

Post by Ginch »

First of all, Tunebite doesn't work.

Second, Tunebite doesn't address this type of problem. The original poster was not trying to remove DRM from media files, he are trying to get rid of unwanted, rootkit-like software built into Windows.

Third, Guest/Jack Duggan's advice, above, works. It's important to execute that batch file from Safe Mode though; it will not work if Windows is running normal operating mode.