Firefox process does not end

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
hylian90

Firefox process does not end

Post by hylian90 »

Hi! I've been encountering a little trouble with Firefox lately, and I was wondering if anyone knew what the problem was. I'm using Windows XP with Firefox 1.5.

Basically, my problem is that the Firefox process does not end, even when I close the browser window. I have to open the task manager and manually end the 'firefox.exe' process. If I close the window and try to open a new one without ending the process, another Firefox process appears in the process manager, but no window opens.

Does anyone know why this may be happening?
Old BushVenom

Post by Old BushVenom »

Does any of this apply to you:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Kill_application ?
ZakG

Re: Firefox process does not end

Post by ZakG »

I'm running Firefox 3.0.4(english launguage) on windows XP(sp3), and as of yesterday i've noticed the same behaviour. The info in that article does apply to me, and like the OP i have to manualy go into taskmanager to shut down Firefox. When i close the firefox browser it gives me the normal prompt i set it to, to clear cookies etc, but then when i try to open firefox again i just get a blank browser page(no bookmarks etc) and looking in taskmanager shows it already running from the previous session(so i have two instances of firefox now). There were some updates recently i think, but maybe that was for my add-ons only(No-script and Flashblock) and not firefox itself.
Any help appriciated(over what that linked suggested, which is basicaly what i'm doing - going into taskmanager to make sure firefox has actualy quit), and would an un-install/re-install be a good idea maybe?
Alice

Post by Alice »

ZakG,
See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_hangs#Hang_at_exit

If you need more help after reading the above you should start a new topic as this one is three years old!
Alice Wyman
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Further to Alice's post,
this old thread is now locked.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)