[Ext] Yahoo Mail Notifier 1.0.7.3 - discussion

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Morac

Post by Morac »

Looks like my fr-FR translator dropped the ball. I'll update it myself for the next version.
Morac

Post by Morac »

I posted a 0.9.9.2 releaes to fix some localization issues (see first post). It will take a few hours to replicate so if the link doesn't work, try again later.
menet

Re: Yahoo Mail Notifier 0.9.9 - discussion

Post by menet »

Your link in the first page should be bad because it call the version 0.9.9.1 :shock:

I suppose that http://downloads.mozdev.org/ymnotifier/ym_notifier_0.9.9.2.xpi
will be better when it will be available. :P

<strong>UPDATE 1</strong>
Since few hours, i have a problem (i am not yet in 0.9.9.2) : When i run Firefox, there is no number near the envelope of YMN !!! :evil:
So i go in Yahoo Mail. Note that i use the <strong>BETA</strong> version since several days.
After several minutes not on Yahoo Mail (where i have gone to read my mail), the envelope has a white cross in the red cycle (telling that the connection is lost).
Do you have encountered this problem ? [-o<

<strong>UPDATE 2</strong>
This problem seems to have disapeared 3 hours later !! :-k

Best Regards :wink:
Morac

Post by Morac »

Good catch. I thought I checked the link but I guess I didn't. The link is now pointing to the 0.9.9.2 version, which still isn't there yet (slow replication).

If there is no number near the envelope, then it is not checking for mail. Right click on the envelope and select check now. Make sure your default username/password is correct.

As for being told that the connection is lost. This has been happening off and on to me the past few days. The problem is that the US server I use to check for new mail has been frequently timing out which causes the connection error icon to show up. I put a change in 0.9.9.1 to have the extension try the European servers if it detects a connection error so the next time it checks after that it should work. Basically what I did was have the extension try the alternate server on an error. If it is using the US server it will try the European one, if it is using the European one, it will try the US one. Either server will work for normal Yahoo mailboxes. The only exception to this is the Japanese Yahoo Mail and BT Yahoo. I think everything else should work fine.

Basically ignore the connection error message, it will go away the next time it checks.
menet

Post by menet »

Hi,
just a confirmation :
Doing "Check Mail" with Yahoo Mail Notifier will never reset to zero the count of new mail in YMN ? :?:

The only ways to reset it to zero are :
- do "Check Mail" on the web site of Yahoo Mail before living the site,
or
- use YMN to go again on the web site of Yahoo Mail.

Regards ;)
tempjag

Post by tempjag »

Hello to the author, Morac.

I think there's a bug in your extension. Example you have a new email, and the extension will alert you. When you click on the icon, it will load mailyahoo's page. And then turn the counter to 'zero'. Now the problem is when you don't read the email and click the "check now" feature of the extension, it will never alert you again.
Morac

Post by Morac »

menet:

When the extension checks for mail, it does not reset the new mail count. If it did, you would always see 0 new mail message which would kind of defeat the purpose :) . The new mail count is only reset when you actually go to the Yahoo Mail website (or if you are already there, click the "Check Mail" on the site).

tempjag:

This issue is mentioned in the FAQ on the homepage. Basically the extension uses the same method to detect new mail that the Yahoo toolbar and instant messenger use. It only notifies the user of new mail that has arrived since the user last visited the Yahoo! mail page. It does not count unread mail that is not actually new. So it is working as designed.
menet

Post by menet »

Morac wrote:menet:
The new mail count is only reset when you actually go to the Yahoo Mail website (or if you are already there, click the "Check Mail" on the site).

I uses Yahoo! Mail (version beta) on the web; doing a clic on "Check Mail", on the site, does not reset the new mail count to zero. [-X

The only solution to reset the count is to do a second connection using the envelope of YMN (after closing or not the first one). :(
Morac

Post by Morac »

menet wrote:
Morac wrote:menet:
The new mail count is only reset when you actually go to the Yahoo Mail website (or if you are already there, click the "Check Mail" on the site).

I uses Yahoo! Mail (version beta) on the web; doing a clic on "Check Mail", on the site, does not reset the new mail count to zero. [-X

The only solution to reset the count is to do a second connection using the envelope of YMN (after closing or not the first one). :(

I too use the beta version. The beta version works slightly differently which I'll get to, but first here's an explanation on how the extension works as I think there is some slight confusion here.

The extension periodically checks the Yahoo Mail server's new mail count. The extension then displays that new mail count next to the icon. The extension only knows what the new mail count was the last time it checked. Therefore the extension's new mail count and the server's new mail count won't always be the same since the server's count can change at any time and the extension only updates periodically.

An exception to this is when the icon is used to go to the Yahoo Mail web site. If it is clicked (double clicked or whatever you set it to) then the extension changes the number next to the icon to 0 all by itself. This in itself does not update the Yahoo Mail server's new mail count. The reason the extension does this is because going to the Yahoo Mail website will reset the server's count so the extension pre-emptively sets the new mail count to 0. If the Yahoo Mail web page doesn't load for whatever reason then the server's count won't get set to 0 and the extension's count will change back after the next time it checks. This rarely happens though (unless you frequently try to click the icon when not connected to the Internet).

The following things will reset the Yahoo Mail server's new mail count to 0:

1. Going to http://mail.yahoo.com (which will take you to your mailbox webpage)
2. Pressing the check mail button on the Yahoo Mail webpage
3. 10 Minutes pass while sitting at the Yahoo Mail webpage (Yahoo Mail Beta only)

When this occurs, the extension does not immediately display a value of 0 next to the icon. It will do so the next time it checks for mail so for a while the number next to the icon will not be up to date. To force the extension to update now you can right click on the icon and choose "Check Now" or if you have set up a specific mouse click to "Check Now" you can use that. This will sync up the server's new mail count and the extension's new mail count.

I hope this explains everything.
menet

Post by menet »

Thanks for your explaination but in my case, point 2 and 3 do not work.

I have omited to say in the previous message that doing "Check Mail" with YMN, after doing the "Check Mail" on Yahoo Mail web page, makes only show the alert with the sound (that i use with YMN to notify email). I have no changes in the email count

I have made the following test at 20H57, on yahoo mail web page, sent to myself an email and staying on the Yahoo! Mail (version beta) web page.
- at 21H00 YMN shows that i receive 1 message
- doing nothing with the yahoo page, i use Tab Mix Plus to go on anothers web page, till 21h15. YMN has advised me 2 new times me that i have 1 message. (YMN configurated to do tests every 5 minutes)
- then I return on the Yahoo! Mail web page tab and read the message received
- I do "Check Mail" on Yahoo! Mail web page several times with mouse or "m" key or "M" key.
- at 21H20, 21H25, 21H30 and 21H35 YMN continues to notify me that i have 1 mail.
During this half hour, i have also done severals "Check Mail" using YMN. The only effect is the alert and sound because i have always 1 "new" message...

It is now 21H40, I request to YMN to go to Yahoo! Mail web page to reset the YMN count to zero.

I think, YMN works like that since i use it. On the beginning, I was not on version beta of Yahoo! Mail web.

Regards ;)
Morac

Post by Morac »

Hmm, that hasn't been my experience when using it. I'm not sure what the problem is since Yahoo itself is the one that is supposed to be reseting it's own new mail count, which makes me suspect something isn't quite right with your account.

Here's a test. Install the Yahoo Toolbar, either the Firefox or IE version, it doesn't matter. Now send yourself a test message and and then in the toolbar's settings menu choose refresh toolbar. There should now be an indication of new mail (if you open the alert it should say how many messages you have). Now press the check mail button on the Yahoo Mail page and refresh the toolbar again. If the alert does not go away then it's a Yahoo problem. You can try writing them and see if they can fix it.

In any case you can look at the following URLs:

http://update.companion.yahoo.com/slv/v4/not
http://uk.update.companion.yahoo.com/slv/v4/not

This is where both my extension and Yahoo Toolbar get their info from. See if they still mention new mail after you have pressed the check mail button.

If you don't have new mail it should look something like this:
Y!Alertsmno2.bmp2884id=mnoY!poll4800
menet

Post by menet »

I have not yet installed the Yahoo Toolbar, but only tried your 2 links.

You said, i should have :

Code: Select all

Y!Alertsmno2.bmp2884id=mnoY!poll4800

Haven't no new message, i have tried the 2 links and i have the return :

Y!Alertesmno2.bmp2884id=mnoY!poll4800

There an "e" (for the french ?) at the Alerts word. :!:

Can this give a problem ? :?:

N.B. : I don't know how you do to show the entire message with the specials characters. :-k
If you do Quote on my message you will see the special characters.

The message for 2 new messages is :

Y!Alertesmno2.bmp19268id=mnoVous avez 2 nouveaux messages e-mail.4mno%http://fr.mail.yahoo.com/Y!poll4800
Last edited by menet on May 25th, 2006, 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Morac

Post by Morac »

No that's fine. If there was new mail you see a text string saying how many new messages there were embeded in the the string above.
menet

Post by menet »

I have made several tests with an empty profile with only the Yahoo Toolbar Extension.
The problem is also there :
After the "check mail" on the tool bar : there is 1 new message in the bar.
To see it on the web mail, i do a check mail on the web, then i read it and delete it.
Doing several check mail on the bar and on the yahoo mail web page don't change the bar, i have always 1 new message.

So I have to do a mail to Yahoo toolbar support.

Best regards ;)

Yours links gives always (To show it in this page, it should be the last characters entered ! ) : Y!Alertesmno2.bmp19268id=mnoVous avez 1 nouveau message e-mail.4mno%http://fr.mail.yahoo.com/Y!poll4800
menet

Post by menet »

Today, "Yahoo! Toolbar Feedback" asks me the version of tool bar i was using. I had said 1.2 in my request.

To be sure, i have downloaded the XPI file and made new tries today with this version "Yahoo! Toolbar pour Mozilla Firefox 1.2.0.20060518". But today, it works well with this bar on an empty profile. :oops:

I'm not sure that it is the same bar because, after sending myself a test message, doing refresh toolbar have no effect. It takes a long time to have a notify on the bar after a doing others refresh of the bar. When the notify was there i press the check mail button on the Yahoo Mail page and refresh the toolbar again. Then the notify disapears from the bar. You are right, it works with the Yahoo toobar. :oops:

Deleting this extension, i have reinstalled the YMN, but its work is always the same for me; if i am on Yahoo mail, sending myself an email, doing refresh with YMN saids immediately that i have a new mail but doing a check mail several times and refresh on YMN have no effect, the notify stays on YMN :(