Shockwave Illegal Operation error... (possible fix)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
BrAcK

Shockwave Illegal Operation error... (possible fix)

Post by BrAcK »

I've scoured these forums with hopes of a quick solution to the Shockwave issue for the last couple days... It's been pissing me off to no end... I think i tried most if not all of every suggestion made throughout these threads.

About 10 minutes ago, im staring at my /Mozilla Firefox plugin folder talk to it like it's my worst enemy. (Yelling at inanimate objects shows the bastard who's boss.) Anyway:

If anyone has the GetFlash.exe in their Firefox/Plugin folder, delete it or drag it someplace for safe keeping. After i just dragged it to my desktop then ran Firefox again, i have no more Shockwave errors popping up. Sad as it may be, i've used MySpace as my guinnea pig for the last few days to see if anything i've tried has worked or not.

If this doesnt work for you, move the GetFlash.exe back into the plugin folder and keep trying.
I have no idea if this file is needed or not (as of yet) - But it seems to have been the bastard behind all this mess... For me anyway.

Hopefully this will help out anyone else that's been dealing with the same crap i have been.

Hope this helps.
Alice

Post by Alice »

BrAcK,

GetFlash.exe (according to the file properties) is the Macromedia Flash Player Updater. It isn't needed, as all it does, I've gathered, is to trigger a prompt to update Flash when there's a newer version.

I was wondering if the fix is still working for you, as there have been a number of people recently posting about the same error.

And the illegal operation is gone...

Post by Guest »

I've had this problem too with Firefox 1.5.0.2 and Macromedia Shockwave 10. Shockwave
crashed every single time.

Removing the GetFlash.exe and the GetFlash.manifest in then 'plugins'-dir fixed it for me too

Thanks, BrAcK!
Alice

Post by Alice »

Just to clarify, Macromedia Shockwave and Macromedia Flash (aka "Shockwave Flash" or simply "Flash") are two different plugins. The error that most people seem to be having involves the Flash plugin and is described here:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=400971
Illegal Operation In Plug-In
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
? Shockwave Flash

The plug-in performed an illegal operation. You are strongly advised to restart Firefox.
Alice Wyman
sammy sue

Post by sammy sue »

I'm having the same problem with my Firefox.... how do i remove the GetFlash.exe and the GetFlash.manifest? Where do I find these at?
Alice

Post by Alice »

Do a Windows search, then right-click and delete these files from the Search results window (or rename the files, or open the containing folder and move them to a backup location).

GetFlash.exe and the GetFlash.exe.manifest will normally be found in the C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins folder but may also be located in the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Macromed\Flash folder along with NPSWF32.dll and flashplayer.xpt if you used the XPInstall method instead of downloading and running the Flash installer.

If removing GetFlash.exe and the GetFlash.exe.manifest doesn't help, see the forum topic linked above.
Alice Wyman
BigStupidElephant

Thanks Brack

Post by BigStupidElephant »

Thanks Brack, finally got rid of that stupid error!
WTilton

Post by WTilton »

I removed the files in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Macromed\Flash after removing almost everything from the components and plugin folders and finally got flash to stop coming up. Seems to have worked so far. What a glaring horrible error. We've been surfing for the past two weeks until it got so unbearable that I was about to trash Fx forever. Wonder how much patience other people have for this sort of thing, whether it's Fx's fault or not?
newdino

Post by newdino »

I deleted getflash in plugins and it solved my problem
Thanks

Post by Guest »

I dit it too but it didn't solved my problem...

Post by Guest »

Didnt solve my problem either.

Post by Guest »

didn't solve mine too
anneezero

Illegal operation shockwave. Restart Fx.

Post by anneezero »

Hi, I've tried everything that's been suggested to resolve this problem over the past few days; including getting rid-off GetFlash but nothing has improved. In fact, it seems to be getting worse with Firefox crashing every 10 minutes or so. It's getting so bad i'm seriously thinking about switching back to the horrendous IE browser. I've also sent in numerous Feedbacks to Fx and had no response whatsoever -I suppose they have millions of these so don't have time for individual replies but Fx should be letting us know what's happening about this shit! What are they doing to resolve this?

Post by Guest »

yeah Same Here FireFox is Always Crshing on ME :( I NEED HELP!!!!!! I JUST STRTED GETTING THE ILLEGAL OPPERATION THING BUT MOZILLA FIREFOX CRASHED EVEN BEFORE THAT SOMETimeS
anneezero

illegal plug in

Post by anneezero »

Do you have shockwave 8 installed? If yes, get rid off it and reinstall Shockwave 7.
This seems to have worked for me. I got this suggestion earlier in the week and it seems to have done the job. no problems for the past four days

Click the following link to see if the Flash AND Shockwave players are installed correctly:

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/