I really need tags now - suggestions?

Discussion of features in Mozilla Thunderbird
Lost User 36316

I really need tags now - suggestions?

Post by Lost User 36316 »

I want tags to organize my mail. I've tried Labels and Search folders, but there's only 5 labels available and I can't crosslabel something (ex: "ToDo + Personal"). Search Folders builds itself anew each time, and with 500+ mails matching it doesn't work very well.

So I want tags. It would be the ideal solution for me. I know that there are plans for tags in TB 2.0, but I'd like to have it now. Do anyone have any suggestions? Are anyone working on a solutions for it now? Like an extension or a special build?
Sydney D

Post by Sydney D »

So do I. I just found an extension called Notary. One review by "Dave" dated April 12 said that he received help on mozillaZine to make it work on Thunderbird 1.5 which is the reason I am now on mozillaZine for the first time. If I get help, I will let you know what I find out.
Sydney
Sydney
Sydney D

Post by Sydney D »

I also found an extension called "header tools" that I found on the author's website that also did notary- David Cooper- it says it is a beta version. The site is called: AusDilecce's Mozilla Extension Repository. I'm going to try it out when I get a chance.
Sydney
Sydney
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy y'all,

i am using headertools now for tags. rather good ... a bit awkward now and then, but it works. lookee ...
- HeaderTools ( for TB ) ver 0.5.5 available
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... highlight=

take care,
lee
Lost User 36316

Headertools seems like the way to go. All the blogs I've found which discuss tags in tb goes this way at least. But Headertools is a bit cumbersome to use, and does a lot more than tagging. That's nice, but is it possible to create an extension from Headertools that does tagging? That would be great.

A tag extension would have to do the following (in addition to modifiying headers):
- Add Search tags (ie the modified header) to the search functionality (experienced users can probably do this themselves, but if the extension does it all users would benefit from it).
- An intutive UI for tagging: left click to add tag, visible tag header for each mail where you can add tags (take a look at the UI for the tagthe-extension (www.tagthe.net)) and/or a tag toolbar (shows some common tags (customizable) as buttons + a custom tag button which opens up a dialog to add tags. Click or drag and drop to add tag).

Anyone?
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy audunmb,

i doubt that ANYONE is going to do anything along those lines until after this ...

- allow arbitrary number of labels
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=114656

... makes it into tb2.

i DO NOT like the way it's going ... [*sigh ...*] they are gonna use bit values in the msg that point to an external tag. that means if the msg survives a glitch but the external data does not you will lose your tags. commenat against this have been pretty much ignored by the devs, so it's likely i won't ever use it.

i have had to rebuild my profile several times when something went wrong and trashed a number of files. yes, i had backups, but was unable to track the cause of the problem well enuf to nail the file that was triggering the prob.

any problem that triggers a clean install and migration of the mail files ... sounds like a total loss of all external tag info.

take care,
lee
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

HeaderTools *can* do "easy" tagging. It was one of the features of the latest version....

Once the user sets up the options (specifically, the "New Header Defaults" ) then tags can be added with at most 3 clicks...
Also, you can search for messages with those tags ( the extension does NOT add the tag header to the search functionality )

Just a nit, *I* am the author of HeaderTools, and NOT the author of "Notary". Notary is a complete rip-off of my msgNotes extension. I do see that he finally gave me credit for my work in AMO tho..
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy audunmb,,

i missed your comment about "visible tag header for each mail" when i 1st read thru your post. while an interactive header is unlikely any time soon - at least not before tb2 and it's enhanced labels - there IS a way to SHOW your customized headers selectively. lookee ...
- Mnenhy 0.7.4.666
https://addons.mozilla.org/thunderbird/2516/

it has the ability to set the visibility of specific headers.

take care,
lee
Lost User 36316

thanks, HeaderTools add tags and does what I want. One question though: what's the difference between categories and tags?
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

There is NO difference betwwen "catagories" and "tags" ( as a header item ).. They are just examples of what sorts of headers a user can add.

You can add whatever header you like or one that is compatible with your company's or friend's messaging app's "tagging" method.
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy audunmb,

plus, if you want your custom header to show on msgs below the normal headers, you can install mnenhy and turn on display of that header. i use "X-Tags" for my custom tag header name and have told mnenhy to show that along with the other normally displayed headers.

- Mnenhy 0.7.4.666
https://addons.mozilla.org/thunderbird/2516/

take care,
lee
Lost User 36316

Seems like the Mnheny solution is no longer needed with the latest update of HeaderTools: http://www.supportware.net/mozilla/HeaderTools058.xpi

Great!
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy audunmb,

yeah, ausdilecce is pleasantly nag-able [*grin*] concerning new features.

take care,
lee
billn

Wish list

Post by billn »

wish list:

- easily add new tags/cats. One click
- easily tag a msg. One click.
- sort by xtags or xcatagoires in main message view
(if a msg has many tags, pick one - historically first, lexicographically first, whatever)

Extra credit: add the x-tags field to the main msg view for sorting, as above. click on that field and pick a tag to assign or to creat a new one.

extra extra credit... Add tags view to folder view... (see Zimbra)

Else, very good and much appreciated!
/b
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

billn,

Could you please post a screenshot of how you propose to have 'one click add' for tags/catgories

Can't sort by tags since TB's threadpane sorting is hard coded to only use existing columns.. and I cannot add a column for tags or catagories since columns are hard coded as well.. sorry

Please explain what 'add tags view to folder view' means - in detail.. ( I don't really feel like going through Zimbra's demo )

I don't give out extra credit ( or extra-extra credit even ) , I give out gold stars :wink: