[ext] NoScript 1.1.4.1, cleanup release

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
DarrellWPenner

Problem with phpbbs2 and "Additional Emoticon" win

Post by DarrellWPenner »

Hi,

I have had problems with the "View more Emoticons" window with my phpbbs2 board since my last upgrade of NoScript on the 29th of May 2006.

Now when I click on an emoticon on that java opened window (whatever you call that window that pops up to insert emoticons from) I get a "page not found" (404 error) message page from my site. When I disable the NoScript extension it goes back to working like it should.

I am thinking of trying to roll back since the previous version had no problem. FYI the BBS is: http://gnomestead.com/gnomesgarden/phpBB2/index.php

The only change I made from when it worked to not working was updating 3 or 4 extensions including NoScript and Googlebar. I believe Cute Menus and Sun Cult were the other two.

I hope perhaps this will help others as well as me.

~ Darrell

PS I tested things with IE5, Opera 8, Netscape 7.x and Mozilla... not sure of the number but it is a fairly current stable version.

PPS what is with the "e52Wednesday583902" posted date?
Giorgio Maone

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Hi Darrell,
I just registered to the Gnomestead forum to test your issue.
Everything works as expected if scripts are allowed for the gnomestead.com domain.
If gnomestead.com is forbidden, you get a 404 because NoScript by default attempts to "fix" the JavaScript links by replacing their HREF attribute with the 1st constant string found in their JS code.
This hack usually works quite fine, e.g. if original URL is javascript:openPopup('somedialog.php'), NoScript will turn it into somedialog.php and the page will open (not in a popup, though, making everybody happier).
But in your case, original URL is like javascript:emoticon(':some_emoticon:'), so when you click there the browser will try :emoticon: and most surely hit a 404. Notice that this happen only if JavaScript is forbidden for the referer page, thus the original link would have silently failed anyway.
If you don't feel confortable with this behaviour (getting a 404 instead of a silent failure), you can uncheck NoScript Options|Advanced|Attempt to fix JavaScript links, but if the problem is that you want to use those emoticons, then you need to allow gnomestead.com or type them manually.
DarrellWPenner

Post by DarrellWPenner »

Giorgio Maone wrote:Hi Darrell,
I just registered to the Gnomestead forum to test your issue.
Everything works as expected if scripts are allowed for the gnomestead.com domain.
If gnomestead.com is forbidden, you get a 404 because NoScript by default attempts to "fix" the JavaScript links by replacing their HREF attribute with the 1st constant string found in their JS code.
This hack usually works quite fine, e.g. if original URL is javascript:openPopup('somedialog.php'), NoScript will turn it into somedialog.php and the page will open (not in a popup, though, making everybody happier).
But in your case, original URL is like javascript:emoticon(':some_emoticon:'), so when you click there the browser will try :emoticon: and most surely hit a 404. Notice that this happen only if JavaScript is forbidden for the referer page, thus the original link would have silently failed anyway.
If you don't feel confortable with this behaviour (getting a 404 instead of a silent failure), you can uncheck NoScript Options|Advanced|Attempt to fix JavaScript links, but if the problem is that you want to use those emoticons, then you need to allow gnomestead.com or type them manually.

Hi Giorgio,

That makes sense, though gnomestead.com is listed in the list of domains that are allowed. I have it entered as gnomestead.com which I entered to the list by left clicking on the NoScript icon and selecting to allow it.

I know I can record the codes for those emoticons and enter them manually. I can also right click on the window and chose "reload" which reloads the page. Then it worked just fine. Is there some reason why reloading the window would fix the problems?

NoScript 1.1.4 is working beautifully. The problem only is happening with 1.1.4.1

Thank you for the prompt response!

Sincerely,
Darrell

BTW I also tried another phpbb2 board that I know about and the problem also occurred there despite my having that domain added. I'd include the URL for that one except that it is private. I guess this board would have worked too as I see it is powered by phpbb as well. Anyhow it is time I go to sleep as it's already 5am here on the pacific coast.
fbmozine

Hint!

Post by fbmozine »

Ciao Giorgio!
Not sure whther you are italian, anyhow... better to write english, so anyone can understand!

I'm just starting using your extension, which is good, but I have a suggestion for you, which shouldn't be hard to realize:

sometime when you surf the net is not just a matter of what you trust or not, but often is a matter of what you like or not... for example if you are at work you might want to forbid Flash anumations because they may contain sounds, but you can still need the javascripts on that page...

My suggestion is to allow the user to block everything together (the way it is now) BUT allow the user to choose if he wants to allow some objects and not some other...

This way this extension will completely replace flashblock and eventually addblock, with a bit more work!

I don't think is very hard to realize... not 4 you at least!!

Thank for this xtension!
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

I read through this thread and didn't see where it had been mentioned.

Congrats on making PCworld.com's 100 best products of the year list, at no. 52. Great work! Well deserved in my book.
AmboyGuy

Post by AmboyGuy »

Congratulations Giorgio
Mozilla/5.0 (Ubuntu; X11; Linux i686; rv:9.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/9.0.1 ID:20111228084953
-_pentium5.1_-

Post by -_pentium5.1_- »

I have a few comments and feature requests:

1. I would like NoScript to be able to display the number of scripts/plugins actually allowed as well as the total number on the page. For example, if a page contains 10 scripts, 2 of which are allowed; 1 Flash item which is allowed; 1 Java item which is forbidden; and no other plugins, then the status message should say:

Code: Select all

Scripts Partially Allowed [<script>: 2/10] [J+F+P: 1/2]
Now suppose that all the scripts on this hypothetical page were forbidden, with no change to the plugins. The message would now read:

Code: Select all

Scripts Currently Forbidden [<script>: 0/10] [J+F+P: 1/2]
As these examples show, in any case where a message would be displayed, the number before each slash is the number of items allowed, and the number after each slash is the total number of items.

2. The matching of server names fails to consider URLs that contain port numbers. For example, putting "maricopa.edu" in the whitelist does not cause scripts to be allowed on "https://email2.dist.maricopa.edu:943".

3. 192.168.1.1 should be added to the default whitelist, since Linksys routers (and probably others) require JavaScript to be enabled in order to correctly view the configuration pages.

4. When the whitelist is very large, opening the options dialog for NoScript tends to be slow and cause a warning about an unresponsive script. This can happen after importing the TRUSTe site list into the whitelist, as someone on Mozilla Addons once suggested.

5. The first line of an imported text file, if it is not blank, gets mistakenly imported with "resource://" attached to the front. For example, if the first line contains "1800dentist.com," then "resource://1800dentist.com" is added to the whitelist.

I will post formal bug reports on the last two of these when I have some time to get more information.
I think poorly, therefore I am not.
Reading is Power! ...and so is math
Giorgio Maone

Post by Giorgio Maone »

IceDogg wrote:Congrats on making PCworld.com's 100 best products of the year list, at no. 52. Great work! Well deserved in my book.

AmboGuy wrote:Congratulations Giorgio

Thank you all, you actually made me notice it :)

-_pentium5.1_- wrote:I will post formal bug reports

Don't mind, we're not formal at all ;)
I'm already working on those issues, thank you very much for your report!
JawKnee

Post by JawKnee »

one feature I would really like;
to "spoof" having javascript enabled for sites that force you to enable it.
or an option to allow only scripts that check if it is enabled.
I'm tired of finding sites complaining that I need to have it enabled (mostly because thay redirect me to a different page) to view any of their content, when their main content is ads.
I'm also tired of sites using the &lt;noscript&gt; alternative to show certain junk.

if it's possible to do this, that'd be great.
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

IceDogg wrote:Congrats on making PCworld.com's 100 best products of the year list, at no. 52. Great work! Well deserved in my book.

Congratulations! Some deserved recognition!
Eldakka

Post by Eldakka »

Hi, great product.

One enhancement I'd like to see would be the ability to permanently put a site on a 'blocked' list.

There are some scripts that continually pop up on random sites, and here I am thinking specifically of the 'Redchieff' spyware, which is javascript used by many sites to track user's.

It would be nice to just perma-block these scripts without getting warnings about the scripts.
cc979

Post by cc979 »

noscript - great plugin any plans to allow/block cookies in the same manner

i got suggestion - when you click the noscript icon, and when it shows allow/forbid could it show what its allowing/fobiding a script/booklet/plugin

cheers
StriderSkorpion

Post by StriderSkorpion »

There is an extension, called CookieSafe, that will prompt you if a page wants to set a cookie. You can then choose to Allow, Allow for Seesion, or Deny. It will be saved in your Exceptions list if you check the box for "Use my choice for all cookies from this site."
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

Yea, I use cookiesafe it works great, and is a lot like NoScript only for cookies.
wanderer510

Post by wanderer510 »

Hi.

When going to view a page on a domain, NoScript may display in its popup menu other domains too. If there are too many domains and servers, you end up with a very large NoScript popup menu. Is it possible to display only top level domains on the main popup menu and make them act like expandable menus containing all the rest?

Example: If you go to https://sourceforge.net/, you will see that NoScript has two major domains: sourceforge.net and falkag.net and several servers on them (i.e. static.sourceforge.net). Why show all of them in a flat menu and not have those two items only (sourceforge.net and falkag.net) and all the rest as submenus under them?