Thunderbird keeps getting invalid username and password msg

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
afrika18

Thunderbird keeps getting invalid username and password msg

Post by afrika18 »

After I set up my account, TB prompted to enter password for the user name. I entered it. After about 30 seconds or so it came back saying password or username invalid. My mailbox is with Aliant and it works perfectly on their website. I've checked numerous times that my username and password is correct. I've even deleted the mailbox from Aliant numerous times and built a new one with different username/passwords, but I still get the same messages. I've done this with Thunderbird from both my home computer and my work computer and I get the exact same thing. Any ideas? Please? Thanks in advance :)
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Getting that message is actually a good thing. It means you are at least making contact with the mail server and exchanging information.

Some servers want you to identify yourself with your full email address, others only want your account name (the portion of your email address before the @). Try it both ways and see if one or the other works for you.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
afrika18

Post by afrika18 »

Thank-you so much, I entered the full email address and it worked!! :) :) :)
WestCoastTony

Re: Thunderbird keeps getting invalid username and password msg

Post by WestCoastTony »

I had this exact problem and this solution worked. Odd, on one computer running TB 2.0.0.23 on OS 10.4.11, my POP server settings work with a user name WITHOUT the "@" etc.... and the same version of TB I just installed on a system running OS 10.6 required me to type in the "@" etc. in the settings in order to work. Well, all I care about is that the problem is solved. ;-)
LIMPET235

Re: Thunderbird keeps getting invalid username and password msg

Post by LIMPET235 »

That's good news.
Now locking this old thread.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)