tbStats: Thunderbird Mail Statistics extension

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy joaquin,

so, started playing with tbstats again ... [*grin*]

[1] the statusbar display is showing "Computing statistis: Done. Time: 6.078 seconds"
- um, er, "statistics" ... [*grin*]

- the time is more detailed than i need.
personally, i would prefer to see just the seconds - rounded up. that would give 7 instead of 6.078 in this case. i am fuly aware that others will disagree with me no this - and it's not at all annoying to me - so i can't really say how this otta be done.

- shouldn't the time taken be included on the stats screen? along with the msgs count right at the top seems a good place to me.

[2] kool! got rid of the unneeded hourglass!

[3] tvs/tsv fixed. GOOD!

[4] actual export files gets made correctly. GOOD!
i do have a request tho. could you add a date stamp to the filename? i wanted to see the diff between two versions and it wasn't immediately obvious which was which. i started adding "_2006-05-02" to the filename. [*grin*]

[5] you are showing SENDER stats.
i would also like to see RECIPIENT stats.

[6] have you looked at mozilla's TREE object?
http://www.xulplanet.com/references/ele ... _tree.html

it's what tbird uses for the msgpane, folderpane and other lists. has all kindsa nifty features ... [*grin*]

thanks again! this ext is really rather fun. [*grin*]

take care,
lee

Post by tbs_joaquin »

Hi, Lee!

Lee_Dailey wrote:[1] got the file finally. [*grin*] dunno why it was garbled the 1st several times i dl'd it, but it downloaded just fine this morning.

I think next time I will make the annoucement some hours after uploading the file.

[2] another link you might wanna look at ...
http://mnenhy.mozdev.org/junk.html#stat

Thank you! It probably will help me.

[3] you might wanna put a link on sourceforge pointing to this thread. this page ...
http://tbstats.sourceforge.net/

... has a link to the sorceforge forum, but that is ... not very active. [*grin*] adding this one might help a tad.

Good idea. Done!

[1] the statusbar display is showing "Computing statistis: Done. Time: 6.078 seconds"
- um, er, "statistics" ... [*grin*]

Oops! :-)

- the time is more detailed than i need.
personally, i would prefer to see just the seconds - rounded up. that would give 7 instead of 6.078 in this case. i am fuly aware that others will disagree with me no this - and it's not at all annoying to me - so i can't really say how this otta be done.

I think I like the milliseconds, though they are not releant :-)

- shouldn't the time taken be included on the stats screen? along with the msgs count right at the top seems a good place to me.

It could be. In fact, the time was added just to test different implementations and I didn't consider it very valuable for the final user... But maybe someone who is interested in getting statistics about his mail is also interested in statistics about the statistics! ;-)

[4] actual export files gets made correctly. GOOD!
i do have a request tho. could you add a date stamp to the filename? i wanted to see the diff between two versions and it wasn't immediately obvious which was which. i started adding "_2006-05-02" to the filename. [*grin*]

The name was another thing not very well thought: just had to put something...

[5] you are showing SENDER stats.
i would also like to see RECIPIENT stats.

They sure are interesting statistics that fall under the future features.

[6] have you looked at mozilla's TREE object?
http://www.xulplanet.com/references/ele ... _tree.html

it's what tbird uses for the msgpane, folderpane and other lists. has all kindsa nifty features ... [*grin*]

There is still a lot I have to learn about XUL!

I'll keep playing with this little extension when I have time. Thank you for your help!

Joaquín.
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy Joaquín,

[1] statistics and "speelng"
Oops! :-)

[*grin*]

[2] duration and significant digits
as i said, it does not bug me - and YOU are the one doing the work! [*grin*]

[3] export file names
it is NOT important! but i _am_ lazy ... i like timestamps IN log file names. plus, they need to be in a format that lends itself to sorting properly in the file listing.
good = 2006-05-04
bad = 05-04-2006

[4] already nagged you about posting a "todo" or "requested features" list on the 1st post of this thread ...
now i wanna nag you to put a tad more detail in that list. this ...
Planned Features

* Configuration options
* New statistics

... is so ... vague! [nag, nag, nag, whimper, whine ...] [*grin*]

[5] the tree object looks really nifty.
of course, i aint a programmer, but the handling of sorting on any given column and of what LOOKS like multi-level sorting seems like it might actually simplify your work on the display end.

again, thanks for this ext! i am having fun with it. [*grin*]

take care,
lee
mopepom

Great extension

Post by mopepom »

I have just discovered TBSTATS.

I have about currently 32,000 e-mails in a rather complex file structure. New e-mails are added at the rate of 1,000 per month.

This extension was immediately very useful, to show my traffic patterns and who my main correspondents are. Additionally, I can see, at a glance, how to improve/ simplify my file structure and filter logic.

I expect I can use the summary information to build a useful archive structure.

A great job, well done.
mopepom
ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø
jovanm

Post by jovanm »

Lee, excellent job!
Just one minor suggestion... it would be good to sort statistics page properly eg. 2006/9 2006/10 2006/11 ...
Soundwave206

Re: tbStats: Thunderbird Mail Statistics extension

Post by Soundwave206 »

Hello,

The current version is not compatible with 3.0.6... is this project done?
tbs_joaquin

Post by tbs_joaquin »

No, it is not done, but the work in it goes slowly. I will try to talk to the main developer to see if he can release a version compatible with Thunderbird 3. Thank you for the interesest! :-)
i_like_tbstats

Post by i_like_tbstats »

This is a fab extension.
I would like to see a new version.
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy i_like_tbstats,

this one ...
Mail Summaries

... replaces the account summary page that you see when you select _only_ the account name. it doesn't show the degree of detail, but it has some useful info. there is also a folder view that is only shown if you have the preview pane on. i normally keep that OFF, but a quick f8 toggles it when i want to see it.

as for this extension, i suspect it is dead. there has been nothing at all happening with it for several years now.

take care,
lee