Firefox did not work after update

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
phero100

Firefox did not work after update

Post by phero100 »

Hello!
Today Firefox version 1.5.0.4 was automatically installed as update on my computer (windows XP, SP2). After installation, Firefox did not connect to the internet anymore. For every link I got the message connection failed (in German).

I write this message from IE which works correctly, so it is not a connection problem.

Any help?

Post by Guest »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Error_loading_any_website
Error loading any website

Most likely a firwall issue.

Post by Guest »

it is not a firewall issue. I am having the same problem. I took the steps in the walkthrough troubleshooter and nothign works.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:it is not a firewall issue. I am having the same problem. I took the steps in the walkthrough troubleshooter and nothign works.
Are you completely disabling your firewall or are you just closing the program? Most firewalls continue to block access even if you think you shut it down.

Post by Guest »

How can i reinstall 1.5.0.3? The link on firefox site brings you to 1.5.0.4. New version is not working.
trolly

Post by trolly »

Which firewall do you have? For Norton -> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=259337
1.5.0.3 -> http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... es/1.5.0.3
Unless you switch off automatic updates the update is installed in less than two days again.
Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Update -> Check "Ask me ..."
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.

Post by Guest »

not using Norton. Using WindowsFirewall and Zonelabs. Both have given new firefox as an exception and nothing. I turned off both firewalls and nothing. I went through the tutorial help and still no connection. Im not a pro so maybe something i am missing.
leopoldv

After the last update the firefox doesn´t work

Post by leopoldv »

I have exactly the same problem
On asking for the update I get the message :
AUS: Posodobitvena datoteka XML ni prave oblike (200) ....AUS: Updating file XML not in the right form(at) (200)
I removed and reinstalled the firefox but it doesn´t help
Leopold
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Firewalls and Antivirus programs

"Checking" the settings in these utilities is often not enough. Many recognize an updated FFox or TBird is not the same program that you have already granted internet permissions to. It's smart enough not to give permission to an unauthorized program, but too stupid to ask you what to about it when the program trying to access the net has the same name as one with permissions. When you check your set up, yep, looks like FFox or TBird has all the permissions it needs, but that's the OLD version. Try deleting all mention of FFox/TBird from the firewall/AV configuration and let the firewall/AV rediscover FFox/TBird the next time you use it.

Also, sometimes automatic updates of these utilities can cause problems as well causing loss of permissions.

And one last point. Depending on the utility, deactivating the firewall/av for testing may just shut down the user interface but still leave the basic utility running in the background.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
leopoldv

Post by leopoldv »

makaiguy wrote:Firewalls and Antivirus programs

"Checking" the settings in these utilities is often not enough. Many recognize an updated FFox or TBird is not the same program that you have already granted internet permissions to. It's smart enough not to give permission to an unauthorized program, but too stupid to ask you what to about it when the program trying to access the net has the same name as one with permissions. When you check your set up, yep, looks like FFox or TBird has all the permissions it needs, but that's the OLD version. Try deleting all mention of FFox/TBird from the firewall/AV configuration and let the firewall/AV rediscover FFox/TBird the next time you use it.

Also, sometimes automatic updates of these utilities can cause problems as well causing loss of permissions.

And one last point. Depending on the utility, deactivating the firewall/av for testing may just shut down the user interface but still leave the basic utility running in the background.
I exited all Kaspersky programs (antivirus & antihacker) , but firefox still doesn´t work
Leopold
trolly

Re: After the last update the firefox doesn´t work

Post by trolly »

leopoldv wrote:I have exactly the same problem
On asking for the update I get the message :
AUS: Posodobitvena datoteka XML ni prave oblike (200) ....AUS: Updating file XML not in the right form(at) (200)
I removed and reinstalled the firefox but it doesn´t help
This has nothing to do with the original problem and FF. The update server delivers a broken file. Just try later or if you already have updated to 1.5.0.4 ignore it.

Post by Guest »

Try deleting all mention of FFox/TBird from the firewall/AV configuration and let the firewall/AV rediscover FFox/TBird the next time you use it.

Did that before hand and didnt work. As for shutting down the firewalls. They were not running in the background.
tomaszek

Post by tomaszek »

This is unacceptable. Firefox was working fine until it automatically updated, and now it can't connect to anything. The thunderbird update to 1.5.0.4 has the same problem. Deleting the enries from zonealarm makes no difference. Shutting down zonealarm woks, but that leaves me without a firewall.
rextilleon

Post by rextilleon »

Just upgraded and I can no longer connect to the Internet. Tried the following:

1. Complete uninstall of all Mozilla software and registry entries----(including preferences) and reinstall of version 1.5.04
2. System Restore to version 1.50.03
3. Turned off all firewalls virus protection etc.

Very frustrated as I am a long time user and I am not forced to use Windows Explorer which connects with no problem. Why wouldn't I be able to connect when I am essentially starting with a clean install? Is there something wrong with this version.
mizzmonsta

Post by mizzmonsta »

I also had the update auto-install and I'm experiencing a looping error message:

Software Update Failed
One or more files could not be updated. Please make sure all other applications are closed and that you have permission to modify files, and then restart Firefox to try again.
(OK)

Whether you click (OK) or close the prompt, it tries again... The error appears and I get the above error message again. Had to kill the process to get it to stop.

Not good >:-(