Firefox did not work after update

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
trolly

Post by trolly »

rextilleon wrote:Just upgraded and I can no longer connect to the Internet. Tried the following:

1. Complete uninstall of all Mozilla software and registry entries----(including preferences) and reinstall of version 1.5.04
2. System Restore to version 1.50.03
3. Turned off all firewalls virus protection etc.

Very frustrated as I am a long time user and I am not forced to use Windows Explorer which connects with no problem. Why wouldn't I be able to connect when I am essentially starting with a clean install? Is there something wrong with this version.

Do you have a firewall? Then follow the hints above esp. removing FF from the program control of your firewall.
trolly

Post by trolly »

mizzmonsta wrote:I also had the update auto-install and I'm experiencing a looping error message:

Software Update Failed
One or more files could not be updated. Please make sure all other applications are closed and that you have permission to modify files, and then restart Firefox to try again.
(OK)

Whether you click (OK) or close the prompt, it tries again... The error appears and I get the above error message again. Had to kill the process to get it to stop.

Not good >:-(

Find the FF program folder and remove active-update.xml , update.xml and the complete updates folder.
Help -> Check for updates -> Install -> Later
Close FF and check if it is really closed. Then restart FF to apply the update.
rextilleon

Post by rextilleon »

Thanks Trolly but I did that already--this is not a firewall issue. Something wierd is going on here.
trolly

Post by trolly »

:oops: Overlooked that.
Did you checked the process manager if the firewall is really shut down?
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
coltharp

Post by coltharp »

I've experienced the same problem as everyone seems to be experiencing.

I have corrected it, to the point that I have been able to downgrade to 1.5.0.3. I did this by reinstalling 1.5.0.3 using the 1.5.0.3 installer. Luckily I had downloaded it after that update was released and kept it.

I have winxp.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

This happens with every update. People are absolutely convinced the problem is not a firewall, right up until they fix their firewall. If other Internet programs work and Firefox (Fx) seems normal in every respect except that you can't load any Web pages, then a firewall is the first thing to suspect -- even if you don't think you have one.

The top 10 11 12 ways to get fooled by firewalls:
1. People think that because the browser can't access the Internet it's the browser's fault. (Neither Fx nor any other program can control the firewall. If it could, that would completely defeat the purpose of the firewall.)

2. People think they have closed the firewall by clicking on the 'x' in the upper right hand corner. (Most firewalls are not very easy to shut down. With ZoneAlarm that just minimizes it to the system tray.)

3. They think they have uninstalled it, but they just uninstalled the user interface. The actual firewall is still running in the background doing its work.

4. They see permission for Firefox in the firewall list of permitted programs, but they don't realize that that's the previous version of Fx. (Firewalls require permission to allow an updated program to access the Internet.)

5. They think that since the previous version of Fx worked, the problem must be with this version. (Wrong -- any new version is a new program. If the firewall didn't work that way, then a virus could masquerade as a new version of Firefox! Only you can tell the firewall that the new version has permission to use the Internet).

6. They think that because their firewall never gave them any trouble before, it isn't causing trouble this time. (Maybe it hasn't been updated yet with a fingerprint for the new version of Firefox. And besides, firewalls have programming errors, just like any other software.)

7. They have more than one firewall (never a good idea, since they fight with each other).

8. They think they don't have a firewall (remember that demo version you installed, and that one you "uninstalled"?).

9. They have Norton Internet Security (the Norton firewall is actually brain-damaged, if not brain-dead). They have Norton Internet Security. Norton products have been trouble-prone in the past, and there seems to be an increase again in the number of problems reported in this forum. By all means, go to the Symantec Web site for troubleshooting.

10. Maybe you think they forgot to test the new release of Firefox to see if it works. (Wrong. There are already tens of millions of copies of the new version, quietly at work accessing the Internet.)

11. Have you considered the possibility of user error? Have you read the directions? Rechecked your work?

12. Maybe you forgot about the Win XP firewall.

For more information on firewalls, try reading the directions, check the manufacturer's Web page or telephone support, or look here.

You say it can't be your firewall?
1. If Firefox doesn't start normally (no menus, for example), maybe the update was incomplete, or maybe the changes in extensions have not been "registered" yet. If it will start, try restarting it once or even twice. If it still doesn't work, you may need to download the complete program manually and run the installation program. Don't worry about your bookmarks and other data--they are not affected installation or uninstallation.

2. Download and run Trolly's enumprocess program. Programs that are recognized as firewalls are shown in red. Or post the results and we'll tell you straight out whether you have a program that might block Internet access.

3. Sometimes incompatible extensions or a corrupted profile prevent Fx from running after an update. You can check this by starting Fx in safe mode (see my signature) or if that doesn't work, creating a new profile. If that doesn't work, go back and fix your firewall. :)reformatted to replace HTML with BBCode- steviex
Last edited by VanillaMozilla on June 11th, 2007, 2:24 pm, edited 25 times in total.
B-MAN

Post by B-MAN »

I uninstalled my zonealarm... my windows firewall is off... not other firewalls.. it shows no websites.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

B-MAN, see #2 above. Also see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Error_loading_any_website . If you press Ctrl-Alt-Delete and start the Task Manager, on the Processes tab you will find vsmon.exe. That's your firewall.

Edit: I guessed the wrong firewall. We later found out that B-MAN had the Sygate firewall, not ZA. But sure enough, he did have a firewall that he didn't know about.
Last edited by VanillaMozilla on July 27th, 2006, 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
B-MAN

Post by B-MAN »

Anything else on the network works fine.. IE IRC MSN Winamp.. everything. I followed that guide but nothing.
trolly

Post by trolly »

Is there a vsmon process or not?
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
pcoltharp

Post by pcoltharp »

Just to add to this, my Firefox program actually failed to load and start after the update, not just failed to connect to the internet.

I have looked at my Norton AV logs and it does not mention anything around the time that I tried to run FF, nor does it mention any prevention of any program execution.
B-MAN

Post by B-MAN »

no
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

tomaszek wrote:This is unacceptable. .... Shutting down zonealarm woks, but that leaves me without a firewall.

Then that tells you the problem is with Zonealarm and/or its configuration on your system, not with Firefox. Place the blame where it belongs and complain to THOSE folks.

See here for help with configuring some common firewalls and antivirus programs:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Error_loading_any_website

[OOPS. Sorry, I didn't see that there was already a whole additional page of replies when I was writing the above. Leaving it in place in case it helps some additional readers.]
Last edited by makaiguy on June 2nd, 2006, 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
trolly

Post by trolly »

@pcoltharp: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=259337
Official answer from Norton: Remove everything from the program control list and try again. Sometimes Norton screws up itself and must be uninstalled and reinstalled.

@B-MAN: You can try this utility to get a postable list of processes. Maybe something hidden is running.
http://www.trolly.homepage.t-online.de/EnumProcess.zip
johnbhoy

firefox update

Post by johnbhoy »

installed update today ,then couldnt get onto internet had too turn my firwall off on zonealarm too get it running again after hrs of messing about ..hope this helps folks