Firefox may periodically check for new updates

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Mehrle

Firefox may periodically check for new updates

Post by Mehrle »

I get a popup window that I have to affirmatively close everytime I start firefox and nearly everytime I click on a link that brings up a window or downloads an image or file such as PDF. This incredibly annoying. The title of the popup is "Software Updates" It says when it is done "firefox may periodically check for new udpates," and I have to click the finished button before I can see my downloaded PDF, etc. I have literally tried everything I can think of including turning all updates off completely, editing the config file direct to turn off all things related to updates, etc. Nothing works and this annoying popup will not go away. Can someone help me get this thing to either turn off or run in the background so I never see it unless I need a Firefox update? I have the very latest version of firefox. I searched google and see a few people have aksed about this problem but I have not found any anwsers to it. I really like firefox but this latest popup that appeared with one release prior is really distracting and at least for me is creating usability issues. Any help is appreciated. THanks in advance.
old np

Post by old np »

What does it say, exactly? That it's going to install updates? That it'll look for updates...?
Mehrle

Post by Mehrle »

Actually two screens pop up and one is really quick and hard to see. The first window is entitled the same as the second as "Software Update" and it says "Firefox is now checking for updates." The second then immediately appears and says "There are no new updates available. Firefox may check periodically for new updates." One very new rub in all this, is that I was so frustrated that I was blindly editing the config file, such that now when I click on a download or a link before these two windows appear I get a Very Delicious Login screen asking for my id an password. Is this some way related to delicious and a setting I have in it? Thanks in advance for the help I really would like to get rid of this and have been so busy until today that I have just been living with the inconvenience that it has been posing. If I can solve it today that would be great! Thanks again.

Post by Guest »

You know what just by chance I uninstalled very delicious and this went away. I believe this was being caused by it!!!! Incredible. I solved it by happenstance. I can live without very delicious. You may want to remember this, if it comes up again.
Mehrle

Post by Mehrle »

I just went into extensions at the Firefox site and looked up Very Delicious and see the newly added comments identifying this annoying problem. Unfortunately for me I had downloaded very delicious before the comments were there and the comments were not captured in a google search because the text of the comments did not have the wording I was using. So I wasted a lot of time finding out that Very Delicious was the problem. Everyone should store this in their knowldege base should this appear again. Maybe the developer will fix the issue in Very Delicious because the extension was a good idea and have good functionality but the annoying side effect is not worth the added feature function. Anyway, thanks np for at least attempting to help me out on this and have a great day!
old np

Post by old np »

I'll put this issue in this article
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions