Firefox did not work after update

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

@johnbhoy: Thanks for reporting that after hours of messing around, it really was your firewall. In ZA it takes only a few seconds to update program permissions manually if you need to. Just go to the ZoneAlarm "Program Control" tab. Also, http://kb.mozillazine.org/Error_loading ... #Firewalls will tell you what you need to know about ZA and other firewalls. And don't forget to read the directions.
Roasty

Post by Roasty »

I completely uninstalled Ffox, and removed it from my exeptions in the Win Firewall. still no luck. Very dissapointing having to use IE.

Firefox Did Not Work After Update

Post by Guest »

mizzmonsta wrote:I also had the update auto-install and I'm experiencing a looping error message:

Software Update Failed
One or more files could not be updated. Please make sure all other applications are closed and that you have permission to modify files, and then restart Firefox to try again.
(OK)

Whether you click (OK) or close the prompt, it tries again... The error appears and I get the above error message again. Had to kill the process to get it to stop.

Not good >:-(

No it isn't! That is BAD news for many including myself! Thanks for all of you warning us! Moral of the story: Do NOT download the new version of FIREFOX until the company has made the much NEEDED CHANGES! And TURN OFF "Automatic Update"! Why go through all of this as you have just experienced, while the previous version works great? Makes absolutely no sense.

CAUTION: DO NOT DOWNLOAD Version 1.5.0.4!!! It has real PROBLEMS right now. Let's give them a chance to FIX it and let us know that it is fixed once and for all and ready for download before anyone downloads them!
DukeThad

Post by DukeThad »

This problem also appears to effect Macs ... Firefox updated and since then, I have only been able to get it to LOAD once ... it is not a firewall issue or anything else. I watch the process attempt to load and then just die!

Hurry up and fix this ... currently using Safari but don't really like it ... and all of my bookmarks etc are in Firefox.
Martian

Post by Martian »

I am also having this problem (FF cannot connect to websites). But the problem is only on one of my machines. Norton Firewall and Windows Firewall are both off.

Also note: Firefox processes can't be killed (even in taskmgr).

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling from a fresh download and creating a new profile. Still no luck.
pcoltharp

Post by pcoltharp »

BTW go here to get the 1.5.0.3 installer.

http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla ... n32/en-US/
Anuj

This works

Post by Anuj »

Anonymous wrote:http://kb.mozillazine.org/Error_loading_any_website
Error loading any website

Most likely a firwall issue.

just follow the article to configure the firewall to give access to the firefox and it works ..[:)]
trolly

Post by trolly »

If you can not even get to the first page or it hangs shorty after starting:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser_will_not_start_up
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_hangs
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
Martian

Post by Martian »

Trolly, thanks for the kb links -- I've looked through them all and am pretty confident they don't apply to my situation. Firefox was working just great before the upgrade today.

Also (just to be clear) this is not a firewall issue in my case. I've turned off all the firewalls on the computer.

Perhaps more disconcerting than the fact that FF won't load any pages is that I am unable to kill FF processes and have resorted to restarting the comptuer in order to clear the pc's memory.

I'm downgrading to 1.5.0.3 (thanks pcoltharp for the link), but would appreciate a better solution.
devildog2222

Post by devildog2222 »

Before I even put on the 1.5.0.4 firefox would not start. I would click on firefox and it would open load for 2 sec. and then it would not respond. What do I do.
trolly

Post by trolly »

It does not hurt to try safe mode and a new profile. Sometimes the settings or the profile screws up during an update. Hints here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diag ... Firefox%29
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.

Post by Guest »

I get tired of hearing people tell me "It's your problem, not Firefox." This is what is called "UN-user friendly." I'm not going to spend hours trying to rework my firewall just because the new Firefox version screws it up. I have had absolutely no problems with any previous updates with the utilities and firewall that I use. I'll put the blame were blame is due, lazy programmers.

To put it another way...imagine you bought a washer at HHGREGG. They deliver it but when they install it they don't level it...so it doesn't wash right. Now, they COULD have leveled it but didn't...thus it doesn't work properly. So it forces the people to get it fixed, some who may know exactly what to do to fix the problem (evel it) and others not (will return the washer back to the store, often re-using the old one).

Post by Guest »

i had an other bug, after the update, the exe firefox.Exe was deleted, i don't understand the reason. after i had recovery firefox with changing the extension of the file firefox-exe-moz-backup, now the update work correctly
B-MAN

Post by B-MAN »

[System Process]
System
\SystemRoot\System32\smss.exe
csrss.exe
\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
wdfmgr.exe
alg.exe
wmiprvse.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools\daemon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\mIRC\mirc.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe
EnumProcess.exe
devildog2222

Post by devildog2222 »

I tried safe mode but it still pauses during loading.