Firefox did not work after update

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Tundra-eh:
Why go back to such an old version (from almost one year ago)?
Fx 1.0.8 is the last of the Fx 1.0.x line: Download english US version of Firefox 1.0.8 here

If a version doesn't work then it is usually not a bug, but caused by either a profile folder problem or other programs (e.g. firewall) and you need to find the cause.
You can Create a Test Profile to test the first possibility.
smurfette

Post by smurfette »

dickvl wrote:
Anonymous wrote:To add to the above list of sites, Bank of America is also not loading.
Are those all https sites?
In that case see: http://kb.mozillazine.org/SSL_is_disabled

Okay, since I'm posting more than a couple of times, I decided to register. I'm the guest from a few posts above who posted the Enum process results.

Some of the sites are https and some aren't. I've tried checking the SSL settings, checked the hard drive capacity, deleted the cert8 file, tried creating a new profile, cleared the cache and tried the SSL test (passed). Also, I can access my work e-mail, which is on an https site. I'm nowhere near being a certified techie or anything, but I'm usually able to tinker around and fix any problems I have. I'm mystified on this one.

Oh yeah, hotmail is working now, but still can't access the other sites. I tried going to the Baltimore Sun via google news and clicking on a link from there, but it still didn't work. Can anyone else access that site or Bank of America with Firefox?
Tundra-eh

Post by Tundra-eh »

Its the only version I had, but thanks for the link to 1.0.8
smurfette

Post by smurfette »

Update: I've gotten all of the sites to work, except for the Baltimore Sun. I have no idea how. I stepped away from the computer to talk on the phone for about 20 minutes. When I came back, I could access most of the sites that were giving me problems.

Before the phone call, every site was taking a longer time than usual to load, and now they are loading fine.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

It was probably a DNS problem: after some time the faulty DNS entry expires and windows will contact the ISP DNS server for a new address and get the correct one.
You can speedup the process:
Start > Run: ipconfig /flushdns <enter>
murph38_99

Post by murph38_99 »

Ok so heres the situation, All of my https sites load but regular http sites do not. i have no 3rd party firewall.... IE works fine..

Re: Firefox did not work after update

Post by Guest »

phero100 wrote:Hello!
Today Firefox version 1.5.0.4 was automatically installed as update on my computer (windows XP, SP2). After installation, Firefox did not connect to the internet anymore. For every link I got the message connection failed (in German).

I write this message from IE which works correctly, so it is not a connection problem.

Any help?

I get timeout errors and nothing connects and I can guarantee it is NOT a firewall issue as is being reported because I dont USE any firewall.

And I am on Win2000 so I know there is NOT a built in windows firewall.

Alas it is back to that dam IE again.

Post by Guest »

The updater opened, updated the file - Firefox opened fine, I surfed a couple of sites - then it crashed. I can no longer even open the application AT ALL. Now I'm back to Safari. Any suggestions?
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Post by Guest »

Well folks it was fun while it lasted but time to go back to IE for me until firefox gets it together.

And for the people telling others it is their firewall problem I say this..nice try..but it is FIREFOX problem and your telling people to turn off their firewalls and risk getting attacked when online shows you really need some help..lets see do I go without a firewall and risk an online attack just so I can use firefox or do I KEEP my firewall and go back to IE and take NO risks? Hmmmmm tough one eh..think I will take the SAFE route with IE..no crashes..no having to do diagnostics..firewalls WORK..and yet firefox tells people they are better? LOL yea u run with that theory
Boognish

Post by Boognish »

Anonymous wrote:Well folks it was fun while it lasted but time to go back to IE for me until firefox gets it together.

And for the people telling others it is their firewall problem I say this..nice try..but it is FIREFOX problem and your telling people to turn off their firewalls and risk getting attacked when online shows you really need some help..lets see do I go without a firewall and risk an online attack just so I can use firefox or do I KEEP my firewall and go back to IE and take NO risks? Hmmmmm tough one eh..think I will take the SAFE route with IE..no crashes..no having to do diagnostics..firewalls WORK..and yet firefox tells people they are better? LOL yea u run with that theory
Nobody is telling you to turn of your firewall just to reconfigure it. If you think IE is safer , well..haha. Wait, is this really worth a response? Enjoy IE.
Matws

I can´t even open a local web page from my hard drive.

Post by Matws »

hi guys, I had the same problem after I updated to FF 1.5.0.4. It is not only that I can´t browse the web, I can´t even open a local web page from my hard drive.

I have no firewall

Marcus

Post by Guest »

I have been using FF since before 0.9. Upgraded to FF 1.5.0.4 and bingo, it won't start...most of the time. Task manager shows the "firefox.exe" process running, but nothing happens - no window opens, no activity trying to access the internet shows on the modem. I don't have a software firewall either, so I suspect it is the interaction between 1.5.04 and one of my 30-some extensions. Sigh. I do not have time to troubleshoot now. I did clear out all my caches, and that seems to have helped.

But I don't think firewalls are the issue, guys.
callenderc

Post by callenderc »

I, too, am having problems with the Update feature. When asked if I wanted to install the update after it had downloaded, I clicked "yes". It went to a screen saying "checking compatability for my extensions". That's the last time it has worked. It froze up and I had to reboot just to clear the running version out of Task Manager. Never had any problems until this automatic Update process began. My Norton even asked me what to do because Firefox was trying to connect to the Internet and it recommended "automatic". What now?????
callenderc

Post by callenderc »

I, too, am having problems with the Update feature. When asked if I wanted to install the update after it had downloaded, I clicked "yes". It went to a screen saying "checking compatability for my extensions". That's the last time it has worked. It froze up and I had to reboot just to clear the running version out of Task Manager. Never had any problems until this automatic Update process began. My Norton even asked me what to do because Firefox was trying to connect to the Internet and it recommended "automatic configure". What now?????