The Official Win32 20060606 [Branch] build is out.

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Jingle

Post by Jingle »

Uncle Spellbinder wrote:Very Easy to use:
Don't forget to "Launch Talkback" first.
Lanik

Post by Lanik »

Thanks guys I have TalkBack extension installed and its running, I will give it shot when I get home.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

fuziwuzi wrote:And just how do some of you operate? Do you browse your usual websites once with your "everyday" browser, then do them all over again with your "test" browser???????

I don't know about the rest but I use the nightly as my everyday browser, If it's badly broken I use my spare pc with a "Stable" nightly (my wifes pc runs a stable nightly as well)
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Lost User 33597

Post by Lost User 33597 »

malliz wrote:I don't know about the rest but I use the nightly as my everyday browser, If it's badly broken I use my spare pc with a "Stable" nightly

same here
Uncle Spellbinder

Post by Uncle Spellbinder »

I use Bon Echo as my primary browser, so it gets the most "testing". I also use and test Minefield as well. I have three seperate profiles and one "virgin" profile. My installations for 1.5.0.4, Bon Echo and Minefilld are all in seperate locations on the same Windows XP, SP2 computer. I usually start Bon Echo first and then to Minefield sometime during the day. If one is "unusable", the other is bound to be OK. If not, I've got 1.5.0.4 ready and waiting if needed. I generally use the affected browser more so as to get the most info out of it (talkback ID's and posts on the corresponding thread).

I LOVE THIS! :D :mrgreen:
My Firefox Add-Ons Collection: Firefox Essentials
DeepFreeze3

Post by DeepFreeze3 »

fuziwuzi wrote:I'm going back to an earlier build until this stuff with stability can be sorted out. I know using an alpha for regular browsing isn't advised, but up until now it hasn't been that much of a problem. This is rediculous, however. I'm not getting as much crashing as some other people, but getting a lot of "freezing", where a page will start to load but just stop, the browser does nothing, just hangs there, and I can't stop the loading, can't go to another web page, the throbber just turns like it is trying to load, but nothing... I have to kill the thing with taskmanager. This keeps happening over and over and over...

Um...yeah.

Uncle Spellbinder wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again. For a "stable" day to day browser, I use 1.5.0.4. I "test" Bon Echo (branch) and Minefield (trunk). These are builds to be tested by those of us willing to put up with problems, quirks and bugs in order to present the public with a stable product. The more testers, the more information gleaned for the developers, the better the end product.

Hate to be blunt here, but if you're not willing to put up with these bugs and problems - you probably shouldn't be testing.

Exactly. While Bon Echo is stable enough to be installed on a primary computer next to the official Firefox release, it isn't for regular browsing at all. That kind of stuff isn't only not advised, it's just plain goofy. That's why it's for testing purposes only, not for trying to buy anything over at Amazon.com.
jofta

Post by jofta »

Well, I'm touching wood, but this build hasn't crashed once for me. Since the problem began I've had at least 5 crashes per day.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1a3) Gecko/20060605 BonEcho/2.0a3 ID:2006060504.

Re the discussion, I actually run BonEcho as my primary browser and have no other version of FF installed.
If it falls over completely I will just use the Opera Weekly builds..
LetsSurf

Post by LetsSurf »

Mine stopped crashing when I disabled google toolbar, now it's back to being stable.
Mossop

Post by Mossop »

Something thats been on the trunk for a short while has hit the branch now. Firefox now understands a boolean pref - extensions.checkCompatibility. Creating it and setting it to false will allow you to install extensions that firefox would normally deem incompatible, without using any magic tools like NTT or MrTech. The bonus is you can easily switch between enabling and disabling all your incompatible extensions if you come across a problem.
Robert S.

Post by Robert S. »

and thank you Dave for taking that bug on. This should make it a lot easier for everyone using nightly builds and will hopefully make it simpler for you to support NTT. Speaking of which, I personally think the TalkBack extension should at the very least provide the ability to open talkback for all platforms. Perhaps it could have an options dialog that allows opening talkback and have the ability to list x number of incidents and open incidents on talkback-public? The new installer will always install talkback though it will be disabled on 90% of the systems for a release and this would make it easier for people who have never used talkback to supply information, etc.
TheOldMan

Post by TheOldMan »

That's a good one !! Thanks, guys!!
However, I could do without the <b>ignoreExtVersionMsg</b>
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Lotsa crashes for me with today's build: TB19549057Y TB19550995Q TB19551216Q TB19551917Y TB19552077E TB19552355E
Win 10 Pro x64, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 6 core, 3900 MHz (4450 Turbo), AMD Radeon Vega (integrated graphics). 16GB DDR4-3200, Firefox 125.0.1, Developer Edition 125.0b9, Nightly 127.0a1.
Old Fuziwuzi

Post by Old Fuziwuzi »

malliz wrote:
fuziwuzi wrote:And just how do some of you operate? Do you browse your usual websites once with your "everyday" browser, then do them all over again with your "test" browser???????

I don't know about the rest but I use the nightly as my everyday browser, If it's badly broken I use my spare pc with a "Stable" nightly (my wifes pc runs a stable nightly as well)
Similar to me, except I only use one computer, but have a seperate profile for the "official release" browser than from my "nightly" browser. I rarely have had to use the "official", however, until the last few days.

SOME people need to relax a bit and not get so bent out of shape whenever someone expresses a complaint about Firefox, you come across as arrogant and insufferably elitist. I had a legitimate gripe I needed to vent, so be it. I've been in software development and testing longer than some of you have been alive, been testing and using Mozilla since its inception, so don't lecture me about what it is and how to use it.

BTW, using Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1a3) Gecko/20060605 BonEcho/2.0a3 ID:2006060508, I cleaned the cache, restarted the browser and so far haven't had a crash (yet). I've found that over the years many times cleaning out the cache will solve some odd anomalies that pop up, as if something in there becomes corrupt or just not right in some way and the browser chokes on it or goes wacky. Sorry if that's not a technical enough description for some of you.
surtin

Post by surtin »

Is all the random crashes why they stopped using the .sqllite form history? I just noticed because form history for me, with the extensions I use, never get saved. The stupid .dat file just sits there being of no use.
nrthomas

Post by nrthomas »

surtin wrote:Is all the random crashes why they stopped using the .sqllite form history? I just noticed because form history for me, with the extensions I use, never get saved. The stupid .dat file just sits there being of no use.
The other way around actually - a switch from sqlite back to the old mork style form history revealed bugs in code that had changed in the mean time.