"Back IS Close" extension

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
TP Diffenbach

"Back IS Close" extension

Post by TP Diffenbach »

This thread is the "official-unoffiocial" thread for discussing the <a href="https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?application=firefox&category=Navigation&numpg=10&id=939">"Back IS Close"</a> Firefox extension.
Kupfel

Post by Kupfel »

if i could use the normal back button of my mouse to close the tab just like going a page back then this would be helpful .. however as it is, having to push alt+left arrow key it's hardly faster than just middle-clicking the tab ...
TP Diffenbach

Post by TP Diffenbach »

Unfortunately, Firefox handles the special BACK key, and doesn't expose it to modification, as far as I can find. (I've looked!)

The work-around is to set your mouse to send ALT-Left Arrow rather than Back; many modern mice allow button assignment like this.

(Kupfel -- I've PM'd you about another matter. Check your PMs.)
Last edited by TP Diffenbach on December 30th, 2005, 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kupfel

Post by Kupfel »

oh you are right, thanks .. i didnt reallize that ALT-Left Arrow works in explorer too. In that case this is perfect. Thanks again .. and I sent you an email regarding the other matter.
Kupfel

Post by Kupfel »

I'm suddenly experiencing problems with this. I have no idea what caused it seeing as the only thing i installed was MenuManipulator but suddenly BackIS Close is going crazy .. it doesnt replace the back button anymore but ADDs a second button so clicking back on the mouse does always cause the tab to close .. sometimes the back button plus the Back IS Close button are gone all together. Reinstalling the extension doesnt solve the problem, uninstalling MenuManipulator neither so i doubt that's the problem.
TP Diffenbach

Post by TP Diffenbach »

Send me a copy of localstore.rdf, in your profile directory.
Kupfel

Post by Kupfel »

sent it to back-is-close@diffenbach.org

[EDIT]
oh ! i found the problem. I just remembered that i updated IETab earlier today and that's the problem..i uninstalled it and 'back is close' worked again instantly. It worked flawlessly with the old version but 1.0.7 obviously breaks it. It would be great if you could find out why and fix it.
TP Diffenbach

Post by TP Diffenbach »

Kupfel wrote:sent it to back-is-close@diffenbach.org

[EDIT]
oh ! i found the problem. I just remembered that i updated IETab earlier today and that's the problem..i uninstalled it and 'back is close' worked again instantly. It worked flawlessly with the old version but 1.0.7 obviously breaks it. It would be great if you could find out why and fix it.

I just installed IETab 1.0.7, and I'm not seeing two buttons, and the BiC button correctly shows on a IE Tab tab if there's no history for that tab. Note that if you click the IE Tab icon, you'll have history, namely same url, but as the FF tab it had been. To get a wholly new tab that is also IE, do a right-click and select Open in New window from within an existing IE Tab.

I do see that within an IE tab, the backspace key doesn't take me back at all. Alt-Left takes me back if there is history for the tab, but does nothing if there is no history for the tab -- this is the state where we want BiC to close the tab. In this state, clicking the BiC icon does work correctly to close the tab.

Since (presumably) IE is handling keystrokes within any IE Tab tab, I don't see how BiC can capture the keystroke to do the closing.
Kupfel

Post by Kupfel »

it's absolutely reproducable .. install IE Tab 1.0.7 and back is close is broken, displays either back button and back is close button or none at all. Deinstall and the problem is gone. It's very obvious too as this is listed on the page http://ietab.mozdev.org/ as new addition to 1.0.7:

Back, Forward, Refresh, and Stop button can be used in IE Tab.

that's what's breaking back is close and why the previous version worked. And I'm not talking about if or if it doesnt work in IE mode..that i wouldnt care about but it's broken in FF mode. It's normal after installing and reloading your previous session but after clicking on the first link there are instantly two buttons ..
TP Diffenbach

Post by TP Diffenbach »

Kupfel wrote:it's absolutely reproducible

I believe you. But I can't get it to happen.

Can you post a screenshot showing the problem, and, in tedious detail, the exact steps required to get to what's pictured in the screenshot?
Kupfel

Post by Kupfel »

There ya go:

I did a little more testing .. sometimes it matters in which order you install extensions because the one that's loaded first may be broken and the one that's being loaded as second may work but that's not the case here either. Well it's just like i said before .. install back is close, install IE Tab 1.0.7 then restart firefox. Sometimes the buttons are displayed correctly after the restart but as soon as you click on any link there are directly both buttons as shown on the screenshot.
TP Diffenbach

Post by TP Diffenbach »

Kupfel,

do me a favor: create a new profile, install BiC then IETab, and tell me what happens.

Thanks.
menet

It is not the version 1.3.1 but 1.3.3

Post by menet »

I do this entry, first, to do a UP on the forum for this very good extension. :P

The option and help (locale), of your very usefull extension BackisClose, shows every where the version numbered 1.3.1. It should be 1.3.3.

Just to show to others what i had asked to TP Diffenbach by email (back-is-close@diffenbach.org) for future version (not soon as he has said but it is a Good suggestion) :
I use Firefox 1.5.0.4 with the Tab Mix Plus extension. I work always with only one windows and several tabs. I have Back-is-Close option set to "Tabs and All Windows except Only Window"

What i will apreciate is another option : when we will be on the last tab (only one) in the last window (only one), the action of Back-is-Close will be to do a HOME function.
In my case HOME call "about:blank" (an empty window/tab)

More, I add that it can also have a second other option to do a "iconize" of this last empty windows in the same time.

There is a little typo error on the web site on the history of version : you note 1.2 for 1.3.2 i suppose.

About the 1.3.3 version : TP Diffenbach saids : it had no changes; upping the version was just a "bookkeeping" thing, as I recall.

In a previous email i had asked the following without answer :
Why don't you propose to users to do a translation of your tool ? :?:
To translate an Extension in several languages, there is a WEB site http://babelzilla.org/ to help us to do it and to find translators. There, you will find tutorials explaining how to permit to translators to translate your extension.
Babelzilla translators are waiting for you to do the translation. :P

Best Regards ;)
TP Diffenbach

Re: It is not the version 1.3.1 but 1.3.3

Post by TP Diffenbach »

menet wrote:In a previous email i had asked the following without answer :
Why don't you propose to users to do a translation of your tool ? :?:
To translate an Extension in several languages, there is a WEB site http://babelzilla.org/ to help us to do it and to find translators. There, you will find tutorials explaining how to permit to translators to translate your extension.
Babelzilla translators are waiting for you to do the translation. :P

First, thanks for following my requests in the add-ons page and emailing me, I really appreciate it.

Second, sorry I didn't respond to your email about translations; since the Back Is Close address is publicly available on the add-ons site, it gets quite a bit of spam. I have my email software set to move Back Is Close messages to a special Back Is Close folder, but sometimes legitimate messages get marked as spam. And I get a LOT of spam (and Joe-jobs, and the bounces from Joe-jobs).

If I don't respond to your email in a timely manner (within a week), please feel free to resend it. And of course, feel free to send me job offers and testimonials for Back Is Close. ;)

Third, please feel free to submit translations; Back IS Close is set up to use localized translation files if they exist, and I'll be happy to add any I get. (So long as they don't tell users "My hovercraft is full of eels".)

--The Back Is Close author.
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

I was wondering if there is something I can put in my userchrome.css to make the regular back button show, but keep the back-is-close functionality?

I'm currently using: #back-is-close-back-button .toolbarbutton-icon { margin: 0px 2px 0px 6px !important; } to center the button the same way my current skins back button is normally located, but every time I change the skin I have to play with the margins (It could just be a problem for me, I also don't show drop-markers which might be part of it.)