AWASU and FireFox plug-ins

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
Nigelino

AWASU and FireFox plug-ins

Post by Nigelino »

I am an AWASU user but I have to use IE within AWASU because AWASU does not recognize Firefox plug-ins.
I raised this matter with AWASu and got the following reply:
"Awasu uses a special browser component to show web pages, the same (or nearly the same) as the one used by Firefox. But it's not Firefox itself and so Firefox plugins won't be available.

If and when the Firefox team make available a browser component that Awasu can use, we'd definitely be more than happy to use it."

One of the "offending sites" is Live-Scoring on Euorsport (http://www.eurosport.com/tennis/atp-que ... 8469.shtml).

Is a huge effort required to make this component available? It would seem that IE has some such interface! And I hate using IE!!!
sciguyryan
Folder@Home

Post by sciguyryan »

Its not the Firefox dev teams job to do this - its AWASU's job to produce a system compatible with Firefox not the other way arround, if they won't then unless someone else builds one don't count on having one.

-- Ryan Jones
Cheers!

Ryan Jones
Nigelino

Post by Nigelino »

Where does the buck stop? Can't the two teams get together? Pity to have two nice pieces of software leaving the field open for Microsoft!
sciguyryan
Folder@Home

Post by sciguyryan »

The job of the Fx dev team is improvements to the browser and its core, why should they be required to use their time fixing something when its really AWASU's job to make compatable components? Its not going to happen, its AWASU's ob and if they won't do it then unless someone else does its not going to happen...

-- Ryan Jones
Cheers!

Ryan Jones
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Nigelino wrote:Where does the buck stop?

It stops with AWASU
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Nigelino

Post by Nigelino »

AWASU obviously don't agree. Please see the AWASU forum at http://www.awasu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=4477#4477. It's probably old hat to you, but it seems to me that they have a point.
sciguyryan
Folder@Home

Post by sciguyryan »

Nigelino wrote:AWASU obviously don't agree. Please see the AWASU forum at http://www.awasu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=4477#4477. It's probably old hat to you, but it seems to me that they have a point.

No they don't have a point! They need to build around existing technology not expect the existing technology to be built around them.

Put it this way, if you build a house and order a wrong set of bricks to build it would the brick producer tell you to re-build the house around the new bricks? I don't think so...

Macromedia, Java and many others know this and make the effort too make it work thankfully or we would be missing plugins for those too. Its not the job of the dev team to re-work technology to for the plugin developers, they just need to work with what they have.

-- Ryan Jones
Cheers!

Ryan Jones
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

This post on that Awasu forum thread refers to Adam Lock's Mozilla ActiveX plugin, so I suppose that is what they refer to as "a MSHTML-compatible browser component that can be used by other applications."
Never gonna see ActiveX built into a Mozilla product.

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
dakboy

Post by dakboy »

the-edmeister wrote:This post on that Awasu forum thread refers to Adam Lock's Mozilla ActiveX plugin, so I suppose that is what they refer to as "a MSHTML-compatible browser component that can be used by other applications."
I read that as saying (more or less) "when the Gecko API is identical to the MSHTML API or someone puts Gecko in an MSHTML-API wrapper object, we'll talk."
sysKin

Post by sysKin »

I checked the post and it seems there's a misunderstanding: AWASU (heck I don't even know what it is) is a program that uses IE as component. Like Winamp and its embedded mini-browser.
Indeed there's no way for them to use Gecko instead because Firefox does not have any API that other programs could use to embed browser windows in their applications (activeX or any other API).
Nigelino

Post by Nigelino »

Hi Syskin, have you looked at the AWASU posts. Might make it a bit clearer for you!