[Ext] Session Manager 0.4 to 0.4.3

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
spr33

Post by spr33 »

This may sound like a slightly basic question but is there any way to bring up the session recovery dialog box via an 'argument'?

One of the tabs that I left open is causing issues and won't allow Firefox to open so I need to recover one of my previous browsing sessions and can't seem to find any other way of doing this.

Regards,
Alex.
Peng

Post by Peng »

spr33:

You could open up the crashrecovery.bak file in your profile and replace the crashing URL with something safe like http://www.mozilla.com/. You should back up the file before editing it and do this with Firefox closed, of course. ;)
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
Check out: Adblock Plus | FoxClocks | OpenBook
spr33

Post by spr33 »

Peng wrote:spr33:

You could open up the crashrecovery.bak file in your profile and replace the crashing URL with something safe like http://www.mozilla.com/. You should back up the file before editing it and do this with Firefox closed, of course. ;)

Many thanks for that Peng :) You saved me from more aggravation!
Peng

Post by Peng »

You're welcome. :)
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
lalomartins

New idea: tab bag

Post by lalomartins »

I have a bunch of pages I use frequently, but not every day. Before TBX/SessionSaver/SessionManager, what I would do is add these to a menu in my bookmarks toolbar. More recently, thanks to these three awesome extensions, I've taken to just leaving them open all the time; SessionManager is even more amazing for this, because it doesn't reload all my tabs when I open my browser.

Now I'm getting to the point where I have too many tabs at any given time :-) I installed ColorfulTabs to more easily find the one I want, but often they will just overflow the width of my window. I've seen some extensions that help with that -- there are multiline tab bars (eeew! It just breaks the metaphor too much), tab bar scrolling, tab bars at both top and bottom... none of them good enough.

What about adding a sidebar to SessionManager, the "tab bag"? I hit a key, the tab bag pops in. I drag tabs to it -- tabs that I know I will need later this week, but probably not today. SessionManager dutifully takes note of them; it's not, from its point of view, much different from a closed tab, except it's more persistant, it won't "fall off" the list when I close other tabs. Then I hit that key to hide the tab bar, and get back to work with a more manageable tab bar.

Then tomorrow, when I need the Python Library Reference again, I hit the same key, look at my tab bag, select the one I want, it pops back where it was, and I can close the tab bag.

I believe such a thing would be a small, but noticeable change to the way we use browsers, just as much as the TBX/SessionSaver/SessionManager lineage was.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

@lalomartins: Sounds like an interesting idea. Pity that I don't have the time for actually implementing it...
Muescha

Post by Muescha »

@lalomartins: maybe scrapbook is interesting for you ...
0nslaught

Post by 0nslaught »

Just a note:

Ever since the 20060707 build ( http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=436139 ), Firefox crashes frequently when using Session Manager (v0.4.2).

It is unknown whether this is due to a bug in Session Manager or Firefox, but these crashes were not occurring before this build (of Firefox).

(Some discussion about the crashing: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=437273)
C@rb0n

Re: [Ext] Session Manager 0.4.2 [June 16]

Post by C@rb0n »

zeniko wrote:<li>Display a warning page instead of potentially crashing content

Does this mean there is no longer a problem?

Edit: *Never mind* I've just verified that it still prevents preservation of POST data.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

FYI:
As I've already mentioned elsewhere, I'll discontinue all development and user support of this extension at the end of July.

The crash recovering and closed tab reopening parts have now been integrated into what will eventually become Firefox 2. The differences are however notable enough that rewriting the UI bits would take me considerable time which I don't feel motivated to dedicate and somebody else will quite surely invest anyway.

In case you are considering a take-over: should time allow it, I'd offer to answer your questions while getting started; and desertfox has already offered assistance as well. Whoever eventually continues to maintain or even further develop this extension, please mention it here so that I can adjust the links...

UPDATE: Morac has kindly uploaded a version compatible with Firefox 2.0.
Last edited by old zeniko on January 4th, 2007, 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peng

Post by Peng »

That tab bag idea sounds really cool.

A general sidebar where you could browse your sessions as trees and open and delete tabs from them and drag-and-drop tabs you have open to them would be pretty cool, too, and that could then be used as a tab bag.

Not that I have the faintest idea how to code such a thing or anything, of course. 8)

Where are all the top-notch developers who aren't busy doing other things? :(
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
gottadoit

Post by gottadoit »

Sounds like a nice idea... having far too many tabs open is certainly a problem
Avant lets you save all your tabs as a group and you can then select individual items from each group or open the entire thing
Muescha

Post by Muescha »

*smile* i have also the problem of too many open tabs so im looking for this small extension:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=2365330

Muescha wrote:im looking for a extension witch list all window/tabtitles in sidebar as tree / list

+ Window1
--+ Title Tab01
--+ Title Tab02
--+ Title Tab03
+ Window2
--+ Title Tab01
--+ Title Tab02
--+ Title Tab03
+ Window3
--+ Title Tab01
--+ Title Tab02
--+ Title Tab03

a preview is a nice to have. but more interesting is for me the titles as a list. only the preview thumbnails are not interesting.
it have to combines ALL open tabs in ALL firefox windows

maybe there exist this extension?

maybe this tree overview can be inserted in the "tab bag" idea ... with the possibility to hide:
a) hide a tab
b) hide a full firefox window with all tabs
C@rb0n

Post by C@rb0n »

zeniko: would you be able to at least fix the following before the end of this month?: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 81#2376681

Also, Session Manager now spews many "onBrowserKeyUp is not defined" errors to the console - probably because of the Bon Echo compatibility hack of yours I implemented.

Thanks.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

C@rb0n wrote:http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=2376681#2376681

The Tab Clicking Options issue should be fixed as of today's <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/sessionmanager-dev.xpi">testing version</a> (0.4.2.3+).

C@rb0n wrote:Also, Session Manager now spews many "onBrowserKeyUp is not defined" errors to the console

That's bug 344264 which should soon be fixed.

Note that updating the version will require you to reapply the work-around for the "beta 1 crasher" bug 344214:
zeniko wrote:Simply open the file crashrecovery.js (which you can find somewhere in your profile) in your favorite text editor and change the line

Code: Select all

if (aMainThread)
to

Code: Select all

if (true)