Wanted: Co-developer(s)

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
old zeniko

Wanted: Co-developer(s)

Post by old zeniko »

I'm looking for developers who'd be interested in helping to maintain and/or improve one or several of my extensions (with the option to take over completely). I've invested quite some time into them, but would now like to focus my attention elsewhere. Instead of just letting them rot, I offer a continuous transition of development to someone who sees value in those projects.

The extensions in question are <a href="http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=318102">Console²</a>, <a href="http://sessionmanager.mozdev.org/crashrecovery/">Crash Recovery</a>/<a href="http://sessionmanager.mozdev.org/">Session Manager</a> and <a href="http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=370248">Fission</a>.

If you're interested in any of these projects, please PM me.
dgrimm1

Post by dgrimm1 »

bump

Post by ******** »

I can work on Session Manager starting June (summer = no school).
Peng

Post by Peng »

Eep. Well, good luck in whatever you're going to be doing, and thank you very much for your great extensions. :)

Now, what are some of those requests I had that you refused? >:P

Edit: And userChrome.js?
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
Check out: Adblock Plus | FoxClocks | OpenBook
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

A remainder: as of the end of July I'll discontinue development and support for the four mentioned extensions (and also my two smaller ones, Unified Back-/Forward Button and userChrome.js).

If nobody takes them over, I might at most occasionally post compatibility updates - as long as I continue to use them myself.
sdwilsh

Post by sdwilsh »

Has anyone offered to continue development for console2?
Problem Solver
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

comrade693 wrote:Has anyone offered to continue development for console2?
Zeniko has one other requirement that any potential taker overs should meet his exacting high standards of coding, which of course puts me out of the running completely.

Phil
sdwilsh

Post by sdwilsh »

I'm only asking because I would be willing to assist (co-develop) but I won't be a lead developer. I've already got one extension that takes up my time, plus I fix bugs for the DOM Inspector, so my free time is pretty slim, but I'd hate to see this extension die as well.
Problem Solver
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

comrade693 wrote:Has anyone offered to continue development for console2?

Nope, desertfox' intention statement above is currently all there is (and that was for Session Manager).

Philip Chee wrote:Zeniko has one other requirement that any potential taker overs should meet his exacting high standards of coding, which of course puts me out of the running completely.

That's only a requirement for co-developers. If you completely take over I'll just make sure I won't have a look at the source code again. ;)

comrade693 wrote:I'm only asking because I would be willing to assist (co-develop) but I won't be a lead developer.

That's a start. Maybe somebody else is willing to join knowing that s/he won't be alone. Otherwise you might be able to maintain it on your own, since active development is not absolutely needed for that extension.

As for Console² dying, that's not going to happen that soon. It should at least last for Firefox 2 and might even get (mostly) superfluous once bug 312962 gets satisfactorily fixed.
sdwilsh

Post by sdwilsh »

Zeniko:

I'm rather surprised it isn't integrated into the source yet as something like the DOM Inspector. If you do get a second developer, I'm all in, if not, I'll have to think about it a bit more. I don't want this hampering my studies too much.
Problem Solver
sdwilsh

Post by sdwilsh »

If there are bugs filed on this (I've found a few recently), please cc me on them (comrade693+bmo at gmail). I'm strongly considering to start making patches for this and get them reviewed.
Problem Solver
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

comrade693, have you already gone through the bugs listed as not fixed on Console²'s homepage?
sdwilsh

Post by sdwilsh »

Hey - I didn't see those. Thanks!
Problem Solver