MozillaZine

Flash plugin infobit

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
micherainz

Post Posted October 22nd, 2003, 8:04 pm

EDITED POST

Jeez, fatigue will do it to you...

I was confusing Java and Flash plugins which both gave me trouble.

And I still can't get Flash to work, but it may be a step in the right direction. I have not seen this mentioned elsewhere.

So my original post stated the following finding:

Specifically,I found in HKEY LOCAL MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS/CURRENT VERSION/SHARED DLLS
there were three references to the NPSWF32.dll plugin, two of them where it had been in previous installations of FB, with the the relevant paths - directories which were no longer existing.

So what I deleted specifically were two DWORD Values;
the "Value name" being the path to the plugin (i.e. C:/Program files/whatever it was/Firebird/Plugins/NPSWF32.dll) with "Value Data= 3", Hexadecimal base.

Always make a backup of the registry (File/Export/giveitaname.reg) before tampering with it.

This being Win98SE
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.5) Gecko/20031007 Firebird/0.7

If this helps you, let it be known.
Last edited by micherainz on October 23rd, 2003, 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ă„kiidoll

Post Posted October 22nd, 2003, 8:20 pm

micherainz wrote:I had tried everything this board offered in the way of advice to get get Java working with FB 0.6.1 and 0.7, to no avail. I finally stumbled upon the solution doing something else.

Seems the problem was, I had some leftover stuff from previous installations in the way, in the registry.

Specifically, in HKEY LOCAL MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS/CURRENT VERSION/SHARED DLLS
there were three references to the NPSWF32.dll plugin, two of them where it had been in these previous installations, with the the relevant paths - directories which were no longer existing.
So I deleted these two leftover items.

This left only the correct reference to the existing 0.7installation and I found that Java plugin now works fine.

So what I deleted specifically were two DWORD Values;
the "Value name" being the path to the plugin (i.e. C:/Program files/whatever it was/Firebird/Plugins/NPSWF32.dll) with "Value Data= 3", Hexadecimal base.

Always make a backup of the registry (File/Export/giveitaname.reg) before tampering with it.

This being Win98SE
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.5) Gecko/20031007 Firebird/0.7

If this helps you, let it be known.

Great job! You may wish to add that this method is not
for the faint at heart and very risky to OS stability if
even the slightest mistake is made. I use 2 Reg. Cleaners
to do this for me, one is an MS product the other isnt.
They both work well, I would be lost without them.
http://www.downseek.com/download/21692.asp

Geck0 r0cks

Extension Manager for Moz/FB/TB
A prisoner of Christ Jesus, by His stripes I was healed

Return to Firefox Bugs