Add/Remove Programs can't remove Firefox 1.5.0.3

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
old FatJohn

Post by old FatJohn »

<a href="http://kb.mozillazine.org/Uninstalling_Firefox">Uninstalling Firefox</a>

If the add/remove doesn't work, skip that part.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:I can't uninstall with add/remove or the uninstall application from the mozilla uninstall folder. Why and what can I do?

Post by Guest »

i want to uninstall firefox
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

Anonymous wrote:I can't uninstall with add/remove or the uninstall application from the mozilla uninstall folder. Why and what can I do?

Enter the FX program directory, go into the "uninstall" folder, double click "uninstaller.exe" (note: NOT uninstall.exe).
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18

Post by Guest »

I got to the zip file "thingy" but don't know what program I should open it up in. Can you tell me which one to click? Thanks.
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

Anonymous wrote:I got to the zip file "thingy" but don't know what program I should open it up in. Can you tell me which one to click? Thanks.

You'll have to unzip the files with an unzipper program.

Download PKZIP
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18
supecoop

Windows Add/Remove Programs shows two versions of Firefox

Post by supecoop »

I update Firefox regularly, but Windows shows two separate versions in the Add/Remove Programs window (1.5.0.0.9 and 2.0.0.2) and they both show that they are used frequently and at the same time. There are two users on this laptop and we have not created profiles so both of us have a default profile. Can I uninstall the older version of Firefox without destroying the new one? Thanks
old FatJohn

Post by old FatJohn »

Uninstalling the old one will probably actually uninstall the new one. The installer should have removed the old entry but didn't obviously do so. You can either manually remove the entry by editing the registry or download a tool called tweakui.
steve098

Post by steve098 »

Hi all,

I am also looking for a way to remove the version 1.5.0.5 because the installation of version 2 just installed the new version without removing the old one. Now I want to remove the old version but it is not possible. uninstall.exe runs in the background without doing anything. I took a look at the xpi files suggested by L.A.R. Grizzly but I don't know which one I should use and if it really works. I would be thankful for any hints about them or any other option.

Never thought I would have such a stupid problem with Firefox. Disappointing ...

Thanks

PS: My OS is Win XP
Alice

Post by Alice »

Unless you did a custom install and chose a different program folder, Firefox 2 installed into the C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox folder and most likely overwrote Firefox 1.5 if it was also installed in the default location. Because of a glitch in the Firefox installer, sometimes there is a leftover entry in Add/Remove programs for the old version, even though it has been replaced by the new one. You may be able to get rid of the extra entry by uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox 2 as doing so will not touch your profile data (bookmarks, passwords, cookies, extensions, etc) which are stored in different location and will remain untouched.

If Firefox 2 is working properly there is no need to do anything but if the extra entry bothers you, it can be removed via regedit: Go to this key (back it up first as a precaution),
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Uninstall
... look for the sub-key Mozilla Firefox (1.5) and delete it.
Ref: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/AddRemove.htm

See these related topics:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=533636
Apparent duplication of Firefox versions (Windows XP SP2)

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=534813
Firefox 2.0.0.2 and 2.0.0.3 both show as installed

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=533851
I have Firefox 2.0.0.2 & 2.0.0.3 installed??????
Alice Wyman
steve098

Post by steve098 »

Dear Alice,

best thanks for the explanations. Here some feedbacks:

1- Firefox 2 was installed in a subdirectory other that Firefox 1.5
2- So I understand that I'd better uninstalled Firefox 1.5 before installing the new version
3- Now I uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox2 into the same subdir as Firefox 1.5. This way I overwrote the old version. Version 2 seems to work. I looked for the entry in regedit but it is gone.

Well the problem seems to be resolved (somehow!).

Thanks again
Alice

Post by Alice »

steve098 wrote:I am also looking for a way to remove the version 1.5.0.5 because the installation of version 2 just installed the new version without removing the old one. Now I want to remove the old version but it is not possible. uninstall.exe runs in the background without doing anything.
steve098 wrote:1- Firefox 2 was installed in a subdirectory other that Firefox 1.5
2- So I understand that I'd better uninstalled Firefox 1.5 before installing the new version
3- Now I uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox2 into the same subdir as Firefox 1.5. This way I overwrote the old version. Version 2 seems to work. I looked for the entry in regedit but it is gone.
Well the problem seems to be resolved (somehow!).

If I understood right, you had a "side by side" install of both Firefox 1.5 and Firefox 2 in different subdirectories. If you thought that installing Firefox 2 into a different directory would remove Firefox 1.5, you were wrong, as you found out, since it is possible to have both versions installed in different locations.

Whether your "side by side" installs had anything to do with being unable to uninstall Firefox 1.5 after the Firefox 2 custom install ("uninstall.exe runs in the background without doing anything") I don't know. I have multiple versions of Firefox, but only Firefox 1.5 is installed. The other versions are zipped "nightly" builds which I "update" by downloading and extracting the newer zip build over the top of the older zip build. I don't use the Firefox "software update" feature in my Firefox 2 (BonEcho/2.0.0.4pre) or Firefox 3 (GranParadiso/3.0a4) zipped builds because it will automatically "steal" the default browser from Firefox 1.5, because of a "Vista fix".

Looks like uninstalling your "custom location" Firefox 2 and then reinstalling Firefox 2 into the (default?) location that contained Firefox 1.5 did the trick, overwriting the Fx1.5 program files and removing the Firefox 1.5 entry in the registry "Uninstall" key, thus removing the Fx1.5 entry in Add/Remove Programs. Seems like the Firefox 2 installer did it's job, once you installed it into the same directory as Firefox 1.5.

Thanks for the feedback, Steve.
hnguye14

Uninstall Firefox 2.0.11

Post by hnguye14 »

Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum and want to find out the best method to uninstall Forefox V2.0.0.11.
I had performed Add/Remove method to remove this browser and its not working at all.
Moreover, I had tried delete Firefox folder in Local Setting directory and nothing happen.
I don't know all of you had same problem as me. If you have a better solution, please let me know.
I running Windows XP Pro OS and look forward to you response. I thank you in advanced.

Regards,

Hoang
artix

Re: Add/Remove Programs can't remove Firefox 1.5.0.3

Post by artix »

i don't want firefox because i can't get to most of website i go all the time and because i can't install flash player it says you need adimistor something so i want firefox out of me computer thxs for help me if did here me hotmail rabindra1@hotmail.co.uk
trolly

Re: Add/Remove Programs can't remove Firefox 1.5.0.3

Post by trolly »

The thread is over two years old. Locking.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.