Effective Security software

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
jjsattler

Effective Security software

Post by jjsattler »

I have been using Norton's Security for my computer, though I have found i get bugs with use of Mozilla and Norton's. What is a good program to use, that has little conflict. I was told AVG ?

Thanks
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

I have my system set up with:

AVG Free AntiVirus
ZoneAlarm Firewall
AdAware
Spybot Search & Destroy
Ewido AntiMalware (Win2K and XP only)
WinPatrol
SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard

Most these programs have free versions and all are very effective. One that isn't fully free is Ewido which is a 14-day trial. It disables automatic features after that, but can be used and updated manually. I feel that this one is so good that it is worth paying for just to support their efforts. Haven't had an infection on my computer in a long time. If you're worried about using too many system resources with all of these installed, I had them running on a PIII 450 with 512MB RAM with very little slowdown.
This Bytes

'the goodies'

Post by This Bytes »

Hi,

Well, on here there's:

Z.A.
Lavasoft Ad Aware
Spybot Search and Destroy (I just love the sound of that... :p )
Microsoft Anti-spyware

and of course...

Norton and the Windows Firewall (disabled)

Those were all I could find.

Thanks. :)
old FatJohn

Post by old FatJohn »

I'm on Linux. 8-)
bgfunk76

Post by bgfunk76 »

Keith Peer of top Linux antivirus vendor Central Command:
We are seeing a growing interest by virus writers and virus writing groups to produce more Linux-based viruses, trojans and worms. While the relative number of Linux-based viruses is still small the initiative is there. On the Internet you can find Linux virus writing How-to's and Linux virus source code. Not too long ago Central Command's, Emergency Virus Response Team discovered the first cross compatible Windows/Linux virus named W32/Winux. This proof-of-concept virus demontrated that it is possible to build a virus that operates in both Windows and Linux and can infect executables in both operating systems. There is a growing resource list and tools to help existing and future virus writers to improve their work, sadly.
`(•.°)~
old FatJohn

Post by old FatJohn »

What would you expect an anti-virus vendor to say?

ps. never heard of cc
bgfunk76

Post by bgfunk76 »

What would you expect an anti-virus vendor to say?

Very True!
`(•.°)~
the-edmeister

Re: Effective Security software

Post by the-edmeister »

jjsattler wrote:I have been using Norton's Security for my computer, though I have found i get bugs with use of Mozilla and Norton's. What is a good program to use, that has little conflict. I was told AVG ?
Thanks
Exactly what are you getting? Technically there isn't an official category of exploit's called bugs, {unless you're running the Orkin OS <grin> }.

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.