Blank Emails?

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Thunderbird
sk8park

Blank Emails?

Post by sk8park »

For some reason using Mozilla .3 I've been seeing more and more "BLANK" emails come through, if I use a diffrent software to get these emails say (Outlook Express) or (Outllook), then the email renders fine but they appear blank in TB. Anybody else experiancing this?
-sk8park
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; rv:1.7.3) Gecko/20040913 Firefox/0.10
DJ_KIK

Post by DJ_KIK »

Hello All

I have the same probleme :(

It's appears with v0.2 and with v0.3 :(

Thank's if you have solution :)
tranle

Post by tranle »

You can use either CTRL-U or View Source to see if the message is really blank or just TB not rendering the content.
DJ_KIK

Post by DJ_KIK »

DJ_KIK wrote:Hello All

I have the same probleme :(

It's appears with v0.2 and with v0.3 :(

Thank's if you have solution :)

The problem is about TB because the same emails are ok with outlook or Foxmail :(
sk8park

Post by sk8park »

This is the same for me, the emails are fine in outlook but not visible in TB. My POP options for my TB account are to "leave a copy of the email on the server"

and Delete message from server when messages are moved or deleted from the inbox.
-sk8park
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; rv:1.7.3) Gecko/20040913 Firefox/0.10
tranle

Post by tranle »

sk8park wrote:This is the same for me, the emails are fine in outlook but not visible in TB. My POP options for my TB account are to "leave a copy of the email on the server"

and Delete message from server when messages are moved or deleted from the inbox.

I am not quite sure what your problem is from your 2 previous posts:

1) if the email did not show up in the message list pane, check that you did not check View->Messages->Unread or View->Threads->Unread.
1.1) if it is not the case, check if your message is really still there on the mailserver, if it is a unix mailserver you logon to there and check, if not you can use a different computer set it up to read the same mailbox (make sure that it leaves the messages on the server), if you do have any of these 2 options, you can manually logon to the POP3 server using:

Code: Select all

telnet {your mailserver} 110
+OK Solid POP3 server ready <2824.1066842333@mail.example.com>
user {your account}
+OK username accepted
pass {your password}
+OK authentication successful
list
+OK scan listing follows
1 1234
2 1234
^    ^-- message size
+------- message number
quit
+OK session ended

Just check that you have the expected message count.

2) The message shows up in the message list but display as blank, this could be a rendering problem with TB, in that case use CTRL-U to view the source of the message and report it as a bug with the full message source (confidential part should be removed) with the version of TB that you are currently using (available from the About box).

Software bug tend to get fixed a lot quicker if you have a reproduceable case or you have to wait until a developer stumble on it.
Yooperwolf

Post by Yooperwolf »

I'm seeing a similar problem. Now when I clicked on message that's showing up blank in TB and did a show source, I got this error message.

The file mailbox:///C|/DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS/ERIC/APPLICATION DATA/Thunderbird/Profiles/default/p2430d4f,slt/Mail/Local Folders/Lists.sbd/REMC#1?number=501994 cannot be found. Please check the location and try again.

Using other email clients, I've downloaded and read these email just fine. I've been looking at the emails to see if there's a pattern to why they don't show up, but I haven't found one yet.
movrev

Inbox Corruption...

Post by movrev »

In TB 0.2, Inbox Corruption generally happened to me when compacting the Inbox of my main account. However, I have encountered the problem repeated times in TB 0.3 and I have never ever done this again (because I hated to loose e-mails :().

What I generally see is that e-mails may be stopped from downloading, filtering as junk may also stop, and most of the e-mails will tend to show only the from, to and subject line, but will be devoid of content. I didn't try CTRL-U when this happened, but I have realized that the mails were fine in the server (from where I retrieved them shortly after). This happens also in mozilla mail/news suite and there is a bug on this issue in bugzilla if you want to take a look:

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=193916

I have also filed a bug, mistakingly, on this issue for thunderbird on Bugzilla, but it got closed as duplicate. I guess we must work from this place to get the bug fixed properly.

If any of you recollects the situations in which this bug appeared, please post them. I know that nobody is willing to reproduce this bug because of its destructive consequence...but I believe that we will need to risk something in the end to make this change.

Developer, please help us...
tranle

Re: Inbox Corruption...

Post by tranle »

movrev wrote:If any of you recollects the situations in which this bug appeared, please post them. I know that nobody is willing to reproduce this bug because of its destructive consequence...but I believe that we will need to risk something in the end to make this change.

Developer, please help us...

I got once a mailbox corruption and I could recover the mailbox by:
- exiting thunderbird
- and deleting the .msf file, in the cited above by Yooperwolf it would the file:

Code: Select all

C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ERIC\APPLICATION DATA\Thunderbird\Profiles\default\p2430d4f,slt\Mail\Local Folders\Lists.sbd\REMC#1.msf

The mailbox file REMC#1 (no extension) is a text file containing all the messages in mbox format.
Yooperwolf

Post by Yooperwolf »

I tried deleting the .msf, which was exactly where you described it. However, I noticed the REMC#1 with no extension has 0 bytes in it. So, when I deleted the .msf, nothing happened.
Yooperwolf

Post by Yooperwolf »

I just tried dragging a message into the REMC#1 folder and while the email shows up in the list of emails now in that box, it's now a blank email, where just a minute before with the same message in a different mailbox, I could read it.