where are the favorites located?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
pixeldotz

where are the favorites located?

Post by pixeldotz »

I have the version 0.6 of firebird. I was thinking about upgrading using hte windows installer, but I don't want to lose any of my favorites and skins I have. where are these located so I can back them up and then move back into the new version.?
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

Your skins are not forward compatible. Your bookmarks.html file can be found in your profile.
http://texturizer.net/firebird/edit.html#profile
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files
Old psaulm119

Post by Old psaulm119 »

As far as the profile goes, I just lost my saved passwords, and a few weeks' worth of bookmarks. No biggie, but I'd like to make sure it doesn't happen again when I upgrade to 0.8. I always thoght that the profile directory was NOT part of teh Program Files folder, so that it (the profile) could be carried over from version to version. I'm having trouble getting used to teh idea of backing up the profile files.

What files should I back up? the bookmarks, user.js, usercontent and userchrome files? Is that it? Where are my passwords saved? Or, do I need to back up the entire profile folder? Not sure about this.
Thanks.
Paul
MLS

Post by MLS »

psaulm119 wrote:I always thoght that the profile directory was NOT part of teh Program Files folder, so that it (the profile) could be carried over from version to version.

I've just moved from Mozilla 1.5 to Firebird 0.7 (mainly because Mozilla started wanting 100% of the PCU). However, I have been used to regularly updating to each new release of Mozilla without having to save my profile (I even got TBE saved in my profile folder, so I no longer had to re-install it each time I upgraded).

So, to hear that this essential functionality does not work in Firebird is very disappointing. In fact, I'm amazed - so I'll keep my fingers crossed and someone will reply to say that profiles ARE preserved between upgrades to latest versions.

I did notice that the next version (0.8) will include an official installer, so perhaps that will solve the problem? MLS
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.1.14) Gecko/20080404 Firefox/2.0.0.14; P4 3Ghz, 1GB RAM, ASUS P4S800, Award BIOS, Win XP Pro, nVidia GeForce FX5700LE 256MB, Be Lite (8mbps), SpeedTouch 716 Router.
WildCelt

Post by WildCelt »

I use nightlies and almost never delete and recreate my profile. Except for most skins (like mentioned previously) and some extensions, everything should carry over just fine. The only time I have deleted my profile was: 1. spring cleaning (but I still kept my bookmarks.htm, userContent.css, cookieperm.txt, and user.js), or 2. If somehting was corrupted (which has happened probably twice in the 50 or so times I've installed Fb).

To summarize: other than skins (which you can uninstall from within the browser), you do not need to delete your profile, unless something is not working correctly.
Old psaulm119

Post by Old psaulm119 »

UGGHHHHHH! OK, so I lost my profile for nothing. Well, I'd rather find out the truth. I KNOW I have read somewhere on the texturizer or release notes or wherever, that you should also do this with your profiles, as well. OK. Next time, I won't go through the trouble. I mean, bookmarks and logins haven't given me a problem at all.
Thanks for the info.
Paul
XeF6

Post by XeF6 »

WildCelt wrote:To summarize: other than skins (which you can uninstall from within the browser), you do not need to delete your profile, unless something is not working correctly.

I would agree with this, I've never had trouble in upgrading Firebird other than exetensions, themes etc being broken. I've never lost a profile yet even when playing around with nightlies.

I have 2 profiles created one being a blank new default one and the other my working profile. I have my firebird icon shortcut set using the -p profilemanager switch so it asks me which on to select on start up, after a new install i always start with the default profile to check that the new firebird plays ok. If so, then i restart with my working profile.
dolphinas1

moving favorites

Post by dolphinas1 »

hi pixeldotz
u can use bookmarks manager. here u will find Export and Import option in the file menu. here u have to save ur current bookmarks as an html file and in new window u have to import that bookmark html file. i think it will help u.