Bookmarks Gone (Again!!!)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Mark (EC,IN)

Bookmarks Gone (Again!!!)

Post by Mark (EC,IN) »

Says the "Bookmark Folder" is empty. Lost them all a month ago...brought them over again from IE that time, but had added some to the Firefox that weren't in IE.

What causes this and is there a way to get them back? Be gentle...I'm not the most computer literate person in the world!

.....................TIA..............Mark
trolly

Post by trolly »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Lost_bookmarks

The fast and easy solution for bookmark recovery (W2K and WXP):
Bookmarks -> Manage Bookmarks -> File -> Import -> From File
Type "%APPDATA%" in the file field and press ENTER. This opens the "Application Data" folder. Go down into Mozilla, then Firefox and finally Profiles. This is the parent folder of your profile. You should see a folder called xxxxxxxx.default with xxxxxxx is any sequence of numbers and characters. Enter this folder, find the bookmarkbackups folder and enter it. Then select the newest or largest file (bookmarks-YYYY-MM-DD.html with YYYY is the year, MM the month and DD the day) and click OK/Open whatever.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Before you import the file, you can open it and view it with your browser. That way you can see what you are getting.
Summer Silvae

Post by Summer Silvae »

Thank you, Trolly! Your answer was the only one that worked for me, yay!
trolly

Post by trolly »

:-)
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
jeroboam bramblejam

bookmark recovery after 1.5.0.6 update...

Post by jeroboam bramblejam »

Regarding trolly
Moderator's "The fast and easy solution for bookmark recovery (W2K and WXP":
If you have extensive bookmarks, be patient after last step... the bookmarks may not appear instantly. And thanks again to trolly for the well crafted fix~
Here's my Haiku4U:

Planet X'd

Proud, puny Pluto
Shunned by Earthlings smaller still
Brightening, she moons

jeroboambramblejam
mrtipsy

Post by mrtipsy »

I managed to recover my bookmarks this way but ever time i restart firefox they are missing again, any way i can stop this?
NewMozUser29A

Post by NewMozUser29A »

This causes it, a corrupt 'localstore.rdf' file in your *profile* folder, close Firefox and delete it:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Toolbar_custo ... on_startup
cassiopeiastargazer

Post by cassiopeiastargazer »

Ok, I got my bookmarks back, they vanished when I restarted firefox, so I did what NewMozUser29A said, I deleted the file and did the safemode thing, and they still vanish when I restart, and I can't add new bookmarks.... does anyone know how I can fix it?
trolly

Post by trolly »

Remove the bookmarks.html file from your profile. It may be write protected. You get your bookmarks back from the backups.
SueG

Post by SueG »

trolly wrote:Remove the bookmarks.html file from your profile. It may be write protected. You get your bookmarks back from the backups.

I've had the same trouble. Got my bookmarks back, but can't add any new ones. I've deleted the bookmarks.html file from my profile as suggested above, but still can't add any new bookmarks.

I'd be grateful for any help.

Sue
SueG

Post by SueG »

SueG wrote:
trolly wrote:Remove the bookmarks.html file from your profile. It may be write protected. You get your bookmarks back from the backups.

I've had the same trouble. Got my bookmarks back, but can't add any new ones. I've deleted the bookmarks.html file from my profile as suggested above, but still can't add any new bookmarks.

I'd be grateful for any help.

Sue

Never mind. Problem fixed now via Firefox safe mode.
trolly

Post by trolly »

invisibleman18

Post by invisibleman18 »

Hi,

I've been having a similar problem with lost bookmarks. This has happened to me 3 times in the last 2 weeks. I turn on my computer, open up firefox and instead of my homepage I get a firefox page come up that says "Firefox has been updated" etc. My homepage has been changed to this page, all my settings are gone and my bookmarks are gone. The 1st 2 times it happened, it only took half my bookmarks so it wasn't a huge problem in getting what I wanted back. But it's happened again today and deleted all my bookmarks. I'm kind of sick of this happening now, what's the problem? First thought it was spyware or something, but not found anything in any scans, so is it perhaps Mozilla's way of forcing me to download the new version of firefox? I'm doing that as we speak in the hope of avoiding this happening again.

Have tried looking for bookmarkbackups folder and I don't have one. I've been to application data and then into the default profile folder etc, but there's no bookmark backups there. And I have set it to view hidden files and folders. Anyone got any idea what's happening?

This is the page it comes up with when this happens:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/updated
crazychemist

Same thing happened to me

Post by crazychemist »

I followed the hints above to restore my bookmarks but this time I started my computer and got the updated screen, new firefox homepage and no bookmarks. There is nothing in the bookmarks forlder either as a saved file I can restore. Help.