SpellBound Development version

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
shirishag75

Post by shirishag75 »

Hi all,
First of all sorry if I haven't read the preceding 28 pages so there's a very high possibility that whatever I may have to say may have been answered before.
I'm using TB 3.0a1 latest nightly where I want to install spellbound. I used the spellbound given <a href="http://exchangecode.com/spellbound/downloads/spellbound-dev_20060108.xpi">here</a> . When I went to install the same it gave me this error.

Nightly Tester Tools

1: spellbound-dev_20060108.xpi could not be installed because there was an error writing to the
extensions folder.

This is when I don't have Nightly Tester Tools. Of course there's a possibility that I may 've installed & then un-installed NTT long time back but don't know. Anyhow, I'm not able to install the spell-bound dev. on the same. Any ideas anybody. Thnx in advance.
91.4.0esr on GNU/Linux as well as Windows :)
Extensions info. viewtopic.php?t=413910 - needs to be updated
http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com
Robert S.

Post by Robert S. »

bilbo_b - spellchecking will be included with Firefox 2.0 and I suspect you will find the same behavior when using Thunderbird, Seamonkey, or a latest nightly of Firefox. I may do some development of SpellBound around the time of the Firefox 2.0 release but I doubt I will try to come up with a method to reload the persdict.dat.

shirishag75 - SpellBound has never worked with Thunderbird (e.g. TB 3.0a1) and using the latest nightly of Thunderbird 3.0a1 and just choosing install I get the not compatible with Thunderbird message.

See http://spellbound.sourceforge.net/faq#q106 for more info regarding SpellBound and Thunderbird.
jetpeach

link to this on download site?

Post by jetpeach »

Hi, I easily find the spellbound sourceforge site but couldn't install for firefox 1.5.0.x because the version there is too old. Would you mind updating the download link there to show this developer version or adding this version on the download page? Most firefox users are now using 1.5 i think and this extension is wonderful but hard to find...
Thanks for all you hard work Robert!
jet
RobertJ

Re: link to this on download site?

Post by RobertJ »

jetpeach wrote:Hi, I easily find the spellbound sourceforge site but couldn't install for firefox 1.5.0.x because the version there is too old. Would you mind updating the download link there to show this developer version or adding this version on the download page? Most firefox users are now using 1.5 i think and this extension is wonderful but hard to find...
jet

FF 2.0b1 has inline spell check built in. I doubt there will be any effort put into making this more accessible.
FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
jetpeach

Post by jetpeach »

Ok, I guess FF2 isn't too far away so it's not a big deal to wait to make it more widely available till then...
Looking forward to FF2 and thanks for putting effort into that development as well.
Schuette

Re: link to this on download site?

Post by Schuette »

RobertJ wrote:
jetpeach wrote:Hi, I easily find the spellbound sourceforge site but couldn't install for firefox 1.5.0.x because the version there is too old. Would you mind updating the download link there to show this developer version or adding this version on the download page? Most firefox users are now using 1.5 i think and this extension is wonderful but hard to find...
jet

FF 2.0b1 has inline spell check built in. I doubt there will be any effort put into making this more accessible.

I've installed Fx 2.0b1 and uninstalled Spellbound but I can't see how to do a spellcheck?

ETA: I've got MenuEd extension and I can see that there is supposed to be an option in the context menu but when I click in a box the option isn't there, something is stopping it from appearing. Anyone know why?

ETA2: No worries, reinstalled 2b1 and it's there now.
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy Schuette,

my curiosity bump is itching like all heck ... what does ETA mean in the context you used it? this ...
ETA: I've got MenuEd extension and I ca

i usually use PS [post script] for that kinda note and i am wondering what your ETA stands for.

take care,
lee
James

Post by James »

Edited to Add ?

MenuEd as in Menu Editor ? ..there was an update for 2.0b1 recently at http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... enu+editor
Schuette

Post by Schuette »

Yup: edited to add. A lot of forums show when a post has been edited so I usually put that to show what I've edited. Sorry, just a habit I've gotten into.

Thanks for the link James...
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy Schuette,

nothing to apologize for - personal usage is one thing we are allowed ... as long as it's reasonably reasonable. [*grin*] thanks for the info!

take care,
lee
-ck-

Post by -ck- »

Apparently several people here have it working with 1.5.0.4 ? No go for me :(

The dev version installed without complaints for me and firefox starts up fine but the auto-underline functionality does not appear at all and when I use the right click to check spelling (highlighting words etc) it always insists that there are no mispellings, even when I do mistakes on purpose.

Any ideas where to start looking to fix? Thanks for any help...
James

Post by James »

Make sure a dictionary is selected as in the Spellbound window look at the bottom left as there should be a language selection box.

You appear to be using the old Firefox 1.5.0.1 and not 1.5.0.4
GoJoAGoGo

Re: SpellBound Development version

Post by GoJoAGoGo »

Robert S. wrote:Includes:
<ul><li>spell as you type for input and textarea elements as well as rich text editors</li><li>libraries for the official Win32, Mac OS X, and Linux 1.5 releases</li><li>libraries for the OS/2 contributed build and the FreeBSD.org builds of 1.5</li><li>includes the en-US dictionary</li><li>help file available from the SpellBound options dialog.</ul>
To display the spell as you type spelling suggestions ctrl+left-click on the misspelled word. I used left-click (along with the ctrl key) due to issues where right clicking a new location not placing the caret in the proper place which required a left click then a right click to display the popup.
Be warned... it is only compatible with 1.5/1.5.0.* and I need to verify a couple of things before anyone should use this with the trunk.
It removes the old spell check libraries on first run.
If your user account doesn't have write access to the app's components directory you will need to install a dictionary from http://dictionaries.mozdev.org/installation.html or http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/dictionaries.html with an account that does (this primarily affects Linux users but it can affect any Operating System).
If you install additional dictionaries it will create backups of the dictionaries and install them again if you re-install Firefox as long as you have write access.
The only locale currently is en-US.

Be sure to first check the help file if you have any questions... the web site has not been updated with any new info as of yet.

<a href="http://exchangecode.com/spellbound/downloads/spellbound-dev_20060108.xpi">Install SpellBound Dev</a>

Cheers,
Robert

Robert:

Thanks for this Spellbound Development link. I've been using Firefox 1.5 all these months without any updates mainly because SpellBound 0.7.3 wasn't compatible with any of the updates. For some reason Firefox downloaded and installed the 1.5.0.5 update when I was away from my PC yesterday and now I was forced to find a compatible Spell Check extension and SpellBound Development is working great, actually better that SpellBound 0.7.3 due to the spell as you type feature. 8-)
Robert S.

Post by Robert S. »

Your welcome... just be sure to disable or uninstall it when you upgrade to 2.0 since there is built in spell checking with it. I may come up with another version for 2.0 but for now I am focused on working on 2.0.
GoJoAGoGo

Post by GoJoAGoGo »

OK, I'll do that. Do you have any idea when 2.0 will be released?