Google Toolbar for Mozilla

Discuss how to use and promote Web standards with the Mozilla Gecko engine.
Stoffe

Post by Stoffe »

jrobbio wrote:Maybe some sort of petition would be effective. I can't see why they'd go against a load of signatures. This with some sort of approach may be just the ticket.

I've created a marketing bug for it: Bug 218126

I know votes doesn't count for anything other than to set me on email notifications, but I voted for it anyways. I really like pagerank and I would like to be able to vote etc as well. :)
Stoffe

Post by Stoffe »

Gonzilla wrote:I'm wondering is the Google search bar for Firebird (extensions included) identical to the Google bar that you get from their site? I hope not because from what I heard Google bar is evil, according to http://www.google-watch.org

http://www.google-watch-watch.org/

(Apart from any such, take a good look at the so called "facts" that are designed to scare you at the site you mentioned. They are pretty laughable and pretty silly. Most of it is just nonsense written in a way that might scare my mother, but noone with any more web knowledge than her).
Langeline

Post by Langeline »

Stoffe wrote:
Gonzilla wrote:I'm wondering is the Google search bar for Firebird (extensions included) identical to the Google bar that you get from their site? I hope not because from what I heard Google bar is evil, according to http://www.google-watch.org

http://www.google-watch-watch.org/

(Apart from any such, take a good look at the so called "facts" that are designed to scare you at the site you mentioned. They are pretty laughable and pretty silly. Most of it is just nonsense written in a way that might scare my mother, but noone with any more web knowledge than her).

I agree :)
doron

Post by doron »

I presented my Google Toolbar to Google while I was working at Netscape. Netscape was killed a few weeks after that meeting, so nothing came out of it. The main issue is support - Google does not want to have to support a mozilla version which they didn't write.

As for pagerank, they use url encryption to talk to the server for that, and they won't let anything they didn't write work with their pagerank servers.

And yes, Google is evil.
If you see a marquee, clap your hands!
mikecop

Post by mikecop »

Doron wrote:Google does not want to have to support a mozilla version which they didn't write.

As for pagerank, they use url encryption to talk to the server for that, and they won't let anything they didn't write work with their pagerank servers.

And yes, Google is evil.
What do you mean by "they didn't write" ? Can Mozilla just let them "write" their mozilla version of google bar?
jrobbio

Post by jrobbio »

If anyone can find a way to get Google to "approve" the Googlebar as an official version then that may be a quick way towards implementing it all.

Rob
Official Win32 BitTorrent 0.7: here
BT Tracker
- Get the latest Fire/Thunderbird builds
doron

Post by doron »

[quote="mikecop"][quote="Doron"]Google does not want to have to support a mozilla version which they didn't write.

And yes, Google is evil.[/quote]What do you mean by "they didn't write" ? Can Mozilla just let them "write" their mozilla version of google bar?[/quote]

Why should they? It has no market share and not worth the effort. Mozilla-using geeks alread y use google for everything, so they don't gain anything from it.
prophecy

Post by prophecy »

There are some other cool features I'd like to see in Mozilla regarding the Google toolbar. In fact, the toolbar is the only thing that keeps me on IE.

1. I like how each search term is clickable to find it on the page, or highlightable.
2. I like how easy it is to change the popup blocker to stop blocking for a particular site or a particular click.
3. Pagerank (already said, but i'll say it again)
4. Searching for different things such as directory, news, images, dictionary
5. Blogger is nice, but they now have a link that can work on any browsers link bar.

So in my opinion, I would say Google should make a mozilla compatible bar.
shadytrees

Post by shadytrees »

prophecy wrote:2. I like how easy it is to change the popup blocker to stop blocking for a particular site or a particular click.

Firebird has a little icon that pops up in the bottom left corner of the status bar when a popup is blocked. You can double click on that and un-ban the site in which the popup was blocked. I don't know if Mozilla has this or not.
3. Pagerank (already said, but i'll say it again)

Googlebar.mozdev.org has an explantion that PageRank is on a Google server that third-parties are not allowed or able to access. I would provide a link but Mozdev is down for now.
So in my opinion, I would say Google should make a mozilla compatible bar.

They don't because, sadly enough, it's not a wise business decision (more people use IE than Mozilla).
prophecy

Post by prophecy »

hao2lian wrote:Firebird has a little icon that pops up in the bottom left corner of the status bar when a popup is blocked. You can double click on that and un-ban the site in which the popup was blocked. I don't know if Mozilla has this or not.

Good to know! Still would like to see the highlighting and click on keywords thing though, that shouldn't be too hard for the googlebar at mozdev thing should it?
doron

Post by doron »

SeaMonkey has the popup statusbar icon as well. Plus there is a blogthis bookmarklet at blogger.com that works with any gecko ua.
prophecy

Post by prophecy »

One thing I forgot to list that is a must have for the toolbar:

Search current site.

That's a top notch feature of the toolbar.
gids

Post by gids »

Gonzilla wrote: from what I heard Google bar is evil,[/url]

Don't believe everything you read, http://www.google-watch-watch.org/
Victory

Post by Victory »

Umm, can someone explain how to remove it?