New Preferences Window (discussion, busting extensions, etc)

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
rtmjr50

Post by rtmjr50 »

Omega X wrote:
rtmjr50 wrote:
Littlemutt wrote:Richard, Tools->Options aka: Pref's window. :) Things have been moved/changed around.

I also don't understand the logic of the layout ..... Hopefully, this is one of the areas that will be improved for FF3 next year (and these improvements can be added with FF2.0.x updates)

thanks,

Richard

I'm with you on this one. Everything seems out of place.

What happened to the "for originating site only" option under Cookies? Is that on by default?

it was removed (never did understand the reason for it) ... the default is to allow control from any site that the link is calling on for the image.

I'm sure their is a "pref" in about:config that you can set if you really want it.

--> About:config entries -
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_FAQ ... ig_Entries#

later, Richard
Rule #1: My computer is always right, the human is always the problem .. RULE #2: See Rule #1
using Win XP/SP2 (home) FF1.5.0.9 FF2.0.0.1 FF3a1 Tbird1.5.0.9 ==> Press for More Answers <==
No colours in sig please.
hhh

Post by hhh »

rtmjr50 wrote:.... so far, I don't see a lot of "new" .... just same basic things being reorganized...

That's because the goal is to streamline the options window, making default settings fit as wide a user base as possible.

hopefully, down the road, more of about: config will be added.

Again, no, the devs want less preference settings, not more. The thinking is that power users will come up with ways to customizes the browser via extensions, userChrome/userContent, etc... , while average users will just be confused by too many options that they have no idea what they affect.

BTW, Waldo is hosting discussion/feedback of the changes here.
chob

DownloadManagerTweak 0.7.2 ALPHA TEST

Post by chob »

OK so I got so anoyed with DownloadManagerTweak 0.7.1 breaking the new prefs panel, I decided to try and make it work properly.

PLEASE BEAR IN MIND I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM DOING. I was stumbling round the extension's code worse than a blind man with heavy sunglasses on with his eyes shut in a room with all the lights out at midnight during an eclipse. I just hacked at bits of code that looked like they aught to get hacked at. It was all removal too, bar one bit.

All I have done is removed the overlay that went over the Downloads tab on the old pref window. The new pref window doesn't have a downloads tab, and in my total n00byness I wasn't going to attempt anything dramatic like adding a new pref-tab or reworking the download options in the General tab. This means you can no longer get to the DownloadManagerTweak options from the prefs panel, you have to go through the addons UI. But (for me anyway) that is a small price to pay to still have the functionality of DownloadManagerTweak.

You can grab DownloadManagerTweak 0.7.2 ALPHA TEST from here:
- http://users.blueprintit.co.uk/~dave/fi ... gr_072.xpi
(Big thanks to Mossop for the hosting!)

It needs testing by someone other than me, so please feel free to see if it still works, etc.

Oh, and the other thing i fixed was the Options button not working when you had the downloads in a tab, and the toolbar at the bottom of the screen. But that was a trivial change.

If this test works ok for people, i'll post it in the extensions forum and see if I can get it up on amo or something. But this is the first extension i've hacked at and I'm not sure about the etiquette of releasing someone else's extension slightly updated.
Schrade

Post by Schrade »

Might want to change your minVersion to 1.0 or even 2.0b1 or something. 1.0+ isn't a good thing to have there.

Thanks for doing this. Am going to try it out right now.
"Linux is for those who hate Windows, BSD is for those who love Unix." -Some Guy
Try my themes: QuBranch and QuTrunk
Fix Firefox's Resized image scrolling speed: <b>Bug 163975</b>
Schrade

Post by Schrade »

Just tested it. Don't see any problems at all with it so far.
"Linux is for those who hate Windows, BSD is for those who love Unix." -Some Guy
firemedic11

Post by firemedic11 »

I just installed Download Manager Tweak 0.7.2 ALPHA TEST on my 2 computers works great and I know from another thread they have tried to pm the original developer of Download Manager 7.0.1 with out any luck.
Firefox/Thunderbird Is the Best!!!! Most of the time
Cato62

Post by Cato62 »

Works great here with FF 2.0b. Good job!
"It is difficult to fight against anger, for a man will buy revenge with his soul." ~ Heraclites, 500 B.C.

The Blood Series: BloodFire, BloodFire 3, BloodThunder, BloodSun, & BloodSong
CatThief

Re: DownloadManagerTweak 0.7.2 ALPHA TEST

Post by CatThief »

chob wrote:All I have done is removed the overlay that went over the Downloads tab on the old pref window. The new pref window doesn't have a downloads tab, and in my total n00byness I wasn't going to attempt anything dramatic like adding a new pref-tab or reworking the download options in the General tab.

That's how I tweaked it to get things working. :) I never noticed the problem with the Options button not working in the "bottom" toolbar (good job fixing that!), but something I always did notice is how the Clean Up button is enabled when there is nothing to clean up at the same time the other buttons (Download, Launch, Open Folder) are all disabled. Did you ever notice that, too?
Still passionate for Mozilla themes and extensions, just not actively developing them for public release anymore.
Jus

Post by Jus »

It looks weird that advanced still has those tabs when they've removed it from the other screens.
Lanik

Re: DownloadManagerTweak 0.7.2 ALPHA TEST

Post by Lanik »

chob wrote:OK so I got so anoyed with DownloadManagerTweak 0.7.1 breaking the new prefs panel, I decided to try and make it work properly.
Thats pretty damn good for someone who never done this before.

Now we just need someone to write the overlay ;) j/k I'm just happy I can use this extension its a nightmare without it.
Uncle Spellbinder

Post by Uncle Spellbinder »

@ chob

You God, you! Thanks for the work on this. Working fine in Linux. As Lanik so aptly put, "I'm just happy I can use this extension its a nightmare without it."
My Firefox Add-Ons Collection: Firefox Essentials
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

Just downloaded the latest hourly with the changes to CPD (clear private data)

I see something that is probably not needed.
Tools->Options->Privacy
Toggle the 'Ask me before clearing private data' and note that the 'Clear Now' changes to 'Clear Now...'
This causes the button to change size, and just looks weird.

Also, I did read thru the bug briefly, and I think its going to be a huge mistake to remove the forced verify when you have 'passwords' checked. Someone in a hurry, trying to clear off things before the boss/mom/dad find what has being going on will result in a loss of passwords and many complaints.
Bug: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=345769

My 2cents
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060804 Minefield/3.0a1, Firefox ID:2006080415 [cairo]

EDIT: Just found that opening tools->options->privacy: clear private data settings that if you toggle the 'passwords' on/off you get errors in the console:
<preference> with id='' and name='' has unknown type ''.
Old R.Marotta

Post by Old R.Marotta »

@ Chob;

I've found a problem with the New Download Manager Tweak 0.72 (Which may only be Mac Related or New Theme Related)
But if you open the download window, and click on the Options button on the lower right corner, the Download Manager Options window
appears, but atleast on a Mac, These is NO WAY to close the opened Options Window and you must close FF entirely to get out....

If I remember correctly, This is how it was with Download Manager Tweak 0.71 and I think I remember leaving the developer a
email about this problem, but it was never corrected.

I think the options panel needs a little Mac TLC...

;; Ray

http://www.InTheMac.com (Apple Mac Shareware, Freeware, Commercialware Apps) - Free D/L's (My Site Plug...)
Schrade

Post by Schrade »

Can't you just hit OK or Cancel?
Old R.Marotta

Post by Old R.Marotta »

No Such Option over here...Just the plain Download Manager Tweak Option Menu and that's it. No close buttons as on a Mac etc...

I don't have any other way to close the window.

;; Ray