Uninstalling messed up extensions?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Oddish

Uninstalling messed up extensions?

Post by Oddish »

What is the best way to remove extensions that refuse to be uninstalled via the "Extensions" menu? I've installed "Flash click to play" and I can't uninstall it, and I can't deactivate it.
sboulema

Post by sboulema »

Uninstalling Extensions
Until the uninstall feature for extensions is implemented (bug 170006), use this procedure as a workaround:
(This workaround only works if the extension is installed in the program folder, do NOT use it if the extension is installed to the profile folder.)

1. Exit Mozilla Firebird
2. Change to the chrome dir of your Mozilla Firebird application dir
3. Delete chrome.rdf and the overlayinfo dir (they are regenerated on next start)
4. Delete [extension].jar (or the [extension] dir, if it's used unpacked)
5. Remove every line with a reference to [extension] from installed-chrome.txt (usually there are two: one to the content and one to the locale)
6. A few extensions might use additional files; TBE for example has a tabextensions.js in [Phoenix dir]/defaults/pref to store its defaults in. Search through your app dir for such files and delete them.
7. Restart Mozilla Firebird

It's probably a good idea to make backups of the files/dirs before deleting/changing them to be able to restore the status quo in case anything goes wrong.
and for flas click to view ytou also need to remove the entries from your usercontent.css
Last edited by sboulema on October 25th, 2003, 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Those instructions are not necessarily entirely correct.

For example, I have TBE installed, and its .jar file is in the [profile] area, not in the Firebird application\chrome folder, and installed-chrome does not seem to have any references to TBE.
sboulema

Post by sboulema »

those instructions are only for extensions installed to the program folder...
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

sboulema wrote:those instructions are only for extensions installed to the program folder...

Of course, but I believe you should make that clear, as the instructions as posted are likely to confuse people, especially those new to Mozilla programs and/or extensions.
franck260

Re: Uninstalling messed up extensions?

Post by franck260 »

Oddish wrote:What is the best way to remove extensions that refuse to be uninstalled via the "Extensions" menu? I've installed "Flash click to play" and I can't uninstall it, and I can't deactivate it.

You're right, it can't be disabled properly.

To delete FlashBlock :
  • Exit FB
  • In your profile/chrome directory delete userContent.css (unless you modified it yourself one day, then edit it and remove the lines related to FlashBlock)
  • In the same directory, delete also flashblock.jar
  • delete chrome.rdf and the directory overlayinfo as explained (warning : not the ones in profile/chrome)
  • edit installed-chrome.txt as explained

To disable FlashBlock (not tested but it should work) :
  • disable it as usual
  • rename userContent.css as you want (eg userContent.css.0)... or comment the lines related to FlashBlock
sboulema

Post by sboulema »

John Liebson wrote:
sboulema wrote:those instructions are only for extensions installed to the program folder...

Of course, but I believe you should make that clear, as the instructions as posted are likely to confuse people, especially those new to Mozilla programs and/or extensions.

Will change the instruction to make it clear :)
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

sboulema wrote:
John Liebson wrote:

Will change the instruction to make it clear :)

Thanks, I appreciate that, and I believe that those who want to use the instructions will, also.
Gary King

Post by Gary King »

Thanks, nice read for me too.

But, is there any way at all to uninstall extensions that are installed in the profile folder instead of program folder? :)
couldabeen

Post by couldabeen »

Same way as the install folder I believe.
Profile Chrome folder, Delete (RENAME) chrome.rdf files, and delete (RENAME) the overlayinfo folder found in the Chrome folder. When things work ok, you can delete any RENAMED files/folders.
If I'm wrong about some of this, we'll be told pretty soon.
Free Your Mind, And Your A$$ Will Follow - Funkadelic, 1970
sboulema

Post by sboulema »

that willl delete all your profile extension! wrote a new instruction set which also covers the uninstalling of profile extension:

Uninstalling Extensions
Until the uninstall feature for extensions is implemented (bug 170006), use this procedure as a workaround:

(Extension installed in the program folder)
1. Exit Mozilla Firebird
2. Change to the chrome dir of your Mozilla Firebird application dir
3. Delete chrome.rdf and the overlayinfo dir (they are regenerated on next start)
4. Delete [extension].jar (or the [extension] dir, if it's used unpacked)
5. Remove every line with a reference to [extension] from installed-chrome.txt (usually there are two: one to the content and one to the locale)
6. A few extensions might use additional files; TBE for example has a tabextensions.js in [Phoenix dir]/defaults/pref to store its defaults in. Search through your app dir for such files and delete them.
7. Restart Mozilla Firebird

(Extension installed in the profile folder)
1. Exit Mozilla Firebird
2. Change to the chrome dir of your Mozilla Firebird profile dir
3. Delete [extension].jar (or the [extension] dir, if it's used unpacked)
4. Remove every line with a reference to [extension] from installed-chrome.txt, chrome.rdf and the overlayinfo dir. (usually there are two: one to the content and one to the locale)
5. A few extensions might use additional files; Search through your profile dir for such files and delete them.
6. Restart Mozilla Firebird

It's probably a good idea to make backups of the files/dirs before deleting/changing them to be able to restore the status quo in case anything goes wrong.
Masticator

Post by Masticator »