[Ext] Yahoo Mail Notifier 1.0.7.3 - discussion

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Noyce

Post by Noyce »

Hi again Morac. :)

I've also experienced Yahoo's non-notification bug over the past few days (still not working) and took your suggestion to contact Yahoo...

Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Yahoo! Toolbar.

We are glad to receive an email from you.

Please reply with the version number of the Yahoo! Toolbar are you
currently using? To determine the version number, just click the
"Toolbar Settings" button (it has a picture of a pencil on it), then
select "About Yahoo! Toolbar".

Eagerly waiting for your reply!

Thank you again for contacting Yahoo! Customer Care.

Regards

...how do you recommend I follow up considering it'd be sketchy to b.s. my way through an exchange w/ Yahoo when I don't use the toolbar? :P

TIA for any more assistance. ;)
Morac

Post by Morac »

Well before you start fiddling with Yahoo toolbar do you see the new mail notifications on either the My Yahoo or Yahoo home pages? If you have new mail there should be a new mail icon on the My Yahoo page and the number of new messages should be on the top right. There is something similar on the new Yahoo home page.

If you don't see anything there, then you are still experiencing the problem that was supposed to be fixed a few days ago. In this case I would tell the Yahoo people exactly that (it's not working in the toolbar or on the home page).

If the web pages are showing the correct count, but not my extension you could try installing the latest Yahoo toolbar. If that doesn't work (which it shouldn't) then just give them that information. Then you can uninstall the Toolbar.
Dal

Post by Dal »

Hey there Morac,

I just discovered this thread. I was having the same trouble with Yahoo mail updates so I visited your homepage and folowed your suggestions. Since the Yahoo Toolbar didn't work I assumed it was a problem with Yahoo.
My Yahoo mail comes via Verizon DSL, I called them and they were less than useless. They couldn't even tell me how to contact Yahoo. Still haven't figured out how to do that, luckily the problem has cleared up.

A separate issue. Is there any way to set YMN to open to the inbox rather than the main page?
tempjag

Post by tempjag »

Hello Morac!

Well I'm back :) I'm just thinking that the problem is not over at Yahoo. I tested again and sent a mail to my email. And then I went to Yahoo's homepage and I can see that it's telling me that I have a new mail, but the extension isn't. Here's a screenshot :

Morac

Post by Morac »

tempjag, I think your problem is different from everyone elses (which began and ended last week). I still think Yahoo is doing something screwy with your account since the companion feed should match what is displayed on the yahoo page. You can try installing the Yahoo Toolbar and then seeing if it finds new mail, but I don't think it will. Did Yahoo ever get back to you?
tempjag

Post by tempjag »

Hey Morac,

I emailed Yahoo but still no reply. I don't know what to say, I said that I'm using your ext and it doesn't give me notifications when there's a new mail. And I said that you think that the prob was over there.
Noyce

Post by Noyce »

Morac wrote:Well before you start fiddling with Yahoo toolbar do you see the new mail notifications on either the My Yahoo or Yahoo home pages? If you have new mail there should be a new mail icon on the My Yahoo page and the number of new messages should be on the top right. There is something similar on the new Yahoo home page.

If you don't see anything there, then you are still experiencing the problem that was supposed to be fixed a few days ago. In this case I would tell the Yahoo people exactly that (it's not working in the toolbar or on the home page).

If the web pages are showing the correct count, but not my extension you could try installing the latest Yahoo toolbar. If that doesn't work (which it shouldn't) then just give them that information. Then you can uninstall the Toolbar.

Thanks for the reply. :)

Indeed, even with new, unread email in my inbox, neither My Yahoo, Yahoo Home nor YMN show the new mail icon. So I guess this issue hasn't been corrected for everybody...

Rather than messing around w/ the toolbar, or bs'ing in my exchange with Yahoo about the non-existent/not-installed toolbar [:P], I think I'll use the missing icon on My Yahoo & Yahoo Home as the basis for my inquiry. I'll post back with an update some time soon. ;)
johnnyzero

Post by johnnyzero »

Thanks again, Morac. I wasn't even aware that there was a FF 1.0.8 - I'll check it out.

I'm probably gonna wait until there's a stable release of FF 2.0, and then just bite the bullet and spend a few hours re-installing & configuring everything. By that time, most of the extensions I use will probably be 2.0-compatible. I use a few legacy (abandoned) extensions that may not work w/ 2.0, but I'll most likely be able to find a different 2.0-compatible extension that does the same thing.

It's amazing the sheer number of great Firefox extensions out there. With enough searching, I've always been able to find an extension that does what I wanna do.

best,
JohnB
Morac

Post by Morac »

Tempjag,

I think whenever I get around to updating the extension that I'll put an alternate checking mechanism in which will scan the my.yahoo.com page for the new mail count. That way if the current method doesn't work the user can switch to the alternate. It shouldn't be too hard to do.

BTW when talking to Yahoo support, do not mention this extension. They may or may not be aware of it, but even if they are aware of it, they won't support it (even though it uses the same method as the Yahoo Toolbar). They will support Yahoo toolbar (albeit poorly), so you can install that and then complain to them.
old nicholas.alipaz

Post by old nicholas.alipaz »

I would also like to mention that the image you are using for the notification icons, doesn't seem to be the default on the yahoo site. here is what my yahoo account shows when I log in...
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/nt/ic/ut/bsc/nwmail16_1.gif
Morac

Post by Morac »

I noticed that Yahoo had changed their icons, but I kind of like the old one. Plus there is no new icon for no new mail.
johnnyzero

Post by johnnyzero »

I'm with Morac: I rather like the "old" mail icons he uses better than the one mentioned in m435tr0d's post. To each his own, I guess.

best,
JohnB
gwen123

yahoo mail and extensions updates

Post by gwen123 »

i'm having the hardesr time updating to the newest mail "yahoo" it says itd not a valid install package. Any ideas? should I delete the old one first. Also many of my updates on extensions day not valid. I'm now updateds to ff 1.5.0.5 which I did today. Iove my extensions, just can't seem yo update so many of thrm.

Thank you in advance for any and all help. Regards. Diane
Morac

Post by Morac »

The one at the Firefox addon site should install without any problems, but if you are having issues you can try the one at the Mozdev page (which actually has some minor updates over the one at Firefox's site.
Noyce

Post by Noyce »

Noyce wrote:Hi again Morac. :)

I've also experienced Yahoo's non-notification bug over the past few days (still not working) and took your suggestion to contact Yahoo...

TIA for any more assistance. ;)

Noyce wrote:
Morac wrote:...If you don't see anything there, then you are still experiencing the problem that was supposed to be fixed a few days ago. In this case I would tell the Yahoo people exactly that (it's not working in the toolbar or on the home page).

Thanks for the reply. :)

Indeed, even with new, unread email in my inbox, neither My Yahoo, Yahoo Home nor YMN show the new mail icon. So I guess this issue hasn't been corrected for everybody...

I think I'll use the missing icon on My Yahoo & Yahoo Home as the basis for my inquiry w/ Yahoo Support. I'll post back with an update some time soon. ;)

I never heard back from Yahoo, but the new mail icon is back in effect as of yesterday. :)