FASTERFOX VS FIRETUNE

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Gluecifer
Location: Pittsburgh PA, home of the worlds worst Baseball team...

FASTERFOX VS FIRETUNE

Post by Gluecifer »

well, i tried both...firetune wins hands down...for me. i have 1.5.0.5, and tested them both...id love to hear your opinions!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.5) Gecko/20060719 Firefox/1.5.0.5
sophist2

Post by sophist2 »

I prefer Firetune, Faster Fox can actually slow down page rendering in my experience.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.6) Gecko/20060729 Firefox/1.5.0.6 - Build ID: 2006072904
Lost User 144688

Post by Lost User 144688 »

I believe both fasterfox and firetune are waste of time. Some website might load quicker, but other websites loading slows down. I tried both at differnt times. Prefetching could download viruses/ trojans without permission!!!!

I prefer some changes in configuration, if you are having a high speed connection.

Change network.http.max-connections from 24 to 48.
Change network.http.max-connections-per-server from 8 to 24.
Change network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-proxy from 4 to 12.
Change network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-server from 2 to 6.
Change network.http.pipelining from False to True by double-clicking on the value.
Change network.http.pipelining.maxrequests from 4 to 32.
Change network.http.request.max-start-delay from 10 to 0.

And if you don`t want to see the page cannot be loaded, you can change
browser.xul.error_pages.enabled to false

I might be having some paranoid of using firetune.
This is my personel opinion.
Schrade

Post by Schrade »

Just because Fasterfox has a prefetching checkbox doesn't mean you have to use it. I always disable it.
"Linux is for those who hate Windows, BSD is for those who love Unix." -Some Guy
Try my themes: QuBranch and QuTrunk
Fix Firefox's Resized image scrolling speed: <b>Bug 163975</b>
paulfox

Post by paulfox »

I've tried all the speed tweaks and found "as they are out of the box" was always best. HOWEVER . . . just implemented firefoxking's, cleared cache/al else, and loaded my "daily folder" along with some other tests. It does seem a little more "whizzo," but aren't some of those paramenters hard coded at [b]lower levels or has that changed?[/b] I know we go through this every couple of weeks or month, and it's good to know if anything's been hard-coded differently. Otherwise you're wasting your time going above it.

I would certainly follow manual tweaking a la firefoxking if you choose to meddle with it (I'm going to test these for a couple of days, thanks firefoxking), rather than download a "we'll do it for you" app. Just my opinion. I found several of those "accelerators" just fouled things up, some of them big time.

Edited for spelling
Last edited by paulfox on August 4th, 2006, 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
PentiumIII/W2K, Toshiba AMD laptop/Vista. FX 3 on both.
Schrade

Post by Schrade »

Personally, here's how I set up Fasterfox.

1) In Fasterfox Options I click on Optimized (to set the Optimized settings) then I click on Custom

2) In the Cache tab I set memory cache to 32768 and disk cache to 51200. I don't need more than that and the memory cache reduction helps keep Firefox from using too much RAM

3) On the rendering tab I set Fastback to 2, as I don't need anymore than that and adding more (or leaving it at -1) eats up RAM

That's all I tweak, I leave everything else at the defaults.

Very speedy for me and I can always notice the difference.
"Linux is for those who hate Windows, BSD is for those who love Unix." -Some Guy
paulfox

Post by paulfox »

Ha! I was just returning here to say I'd ONCE AGAIN backed out all the tweaks and gone back to "stock;" saw no real difference over 100+ sites, 20+ tabs.

Thank you Schrade - might give yours a whirl too (ones that don't involve Fasterfox only settings). They're different from what I've seen/read before. Cheers/ p
PentiumIII/W2K, Toshiba AMD laptop/Vista. FX 3 on both.
Schrade

Post by Schrade »

The only setting in Fasterfox that is not a standard Firefox preference is the Prefetching. I never recommend anyone use that, though.

The Fasterfox page timer is very handy, too. Nice for timing web page loads and also easy to clear the caches by right clicking on it.

The best pages to do speed tests on is pages with lots of individual images linked on the page.
therube

Post by therube »

A bit off topic, but any comments on "Prefetching could download viruses/ trojans without permission!!!!"?

My thought would be that anything downloaded would end up in your /Cache/ directory, but would otherwise be benign till accessed in some fashion?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Schrade

Post by Schrade »

therube wrote:A bit off topic, but any comments on "Prefetching could download viruses/ trojans without permission!!!!"?

My thought would be that anything downloaded would end up in your /Cache/ directory, but would otherwise be benign till accessed in some fashion?

Yeaah. As soon as I read that I knew to stop reading anything that guy was saying as he really doesn't know what he's talking about.
loadbang

Post by loadbang »

firefoxking wrote:Change network.http.pipelining.maxrequests from 4 to 32.
Maximum Gecko can handle is 8. 32 is ignored.
tr122

Post by tr122 »

i have tried both fasterfox and firetune both did not work for me(using dial up) they both load some but not all pages at same speed and both verisons of firetune that i downloaded did not have a tune it button to op. my settings

ff needs to upgrade their browser to work faster especially for people using dial-up (maybe 2.0) it is starting to remind me of i.e.
tr122

Post by tr122 »

i have tried both fasterfox and firetune both did not work for me(using dial up) they both load some but not all pages at same speed and both verisons of firetune that i downloaded did not have a tune it button to op. my settings

ff needs to upgrade their browser to work faster especially for people using dial-up (maybe 2.0) it is starting to remind me of i.e.
tr122

Post by tr122 »

sorry for the double post hit wrong button
Schrade

Post by Schrade »

Nothing can help the speed of dialup except going to a faster connection.

These tools aren't really meant for dialup as Firefox's default settings are more in line with dialup optimization hence why if you have a high speed connection these tools will help speed things up.