DownloadManagerTweak 0.7.2 for Bon Echo with new pref panel

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
chob

DownloadManagerTweak 0.7.2 for Bon Echo with new pref panel

Post by chob »

This extension is to be considered ALPHA TEST software.

This software is intended to be used for Firefox 2.0 (codename Bon Echo) with the new preference panel only. (nightlies after 20060801)

Possible side-effects of using this software can include (but are not limited to) nausea, diarrhoea, vomiting, listlessness, incontinence, light-headedness, erectile disfunction, depression, anxiety, nervous twitching, panic attacks, heart palpitations, sexual deviancy (animal, vegetable or mineral), elephant-man syndrome and more.

Thanks must go to two brave souls: Uncle Spellbinder for some initial Linux testing, and rmpmw for some initial mac testing. Both their machines are still running, so the extension didn't break them too bad :)

I got so annoyed with DownloadManagerTweak 0.7.1 breaking the new prefs panel on the Firefox 2.0 branch, I decided to try and make it work properly.

PLEASE BEAR IN MIND I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM DOING. I was stumbling round the extension's code worse than a blind man with heavy sunglasses on with his eyes shut in a room with all the lights out at midnight during an eclipse. I just hacked at bits of code that looked like they aught to get hacked at. It was all removal too, bar one bit.

All I have done is removed the overlay that went over the Downloads tab on the old pref window. The new pref window doesn't have a Downloads tab, and in my total n00byness I wasn't going to attempt anything dramatic like adding a new pref-tab or reworking the download options in the General tab. This means you can no longer get to the DownloadManagerTweak options from the prefs panel, you have to go through the addons UI. But (for me anyway) that is a small price to pay to still have the functionality of DownloadManagerTweak.

You can grab DownloadManagerTweak 0.7.2 ALPHA TEST from here:
- http://users.blueprintit.co.uk/~dave/fi ... gr_072.xpi
(Big thanks to Mossop for the hosting!)

Oh, and the other thing i fixed was the Options button not working when you had the downloads in a tab, and the toolbar at the bottom of the screen. But that was a trivial change.

Consider this slightly wider testing of this attempt at a firefox-2.0-friendly DMT extension.

Some known (or possible) issues:
* Exception still thrown when a download completes.
* Error Console msgs still appear due to DMT. I have no idea why. I can fix this, but only by removing the code that causes the errors, and this might not be the best approach :)
* On mac, it may not be possible to close the DMT options window.

Once I have had slightly wider confirmation that my hackery hasn't blown any PCs up, I will attempt to get this update up on AMO.
It will have the pointer to the update site changed
It will have the minversion set for 2.0beta2 and maxversion set to 2.0.0.*
It will have the current homepage URL changed to probably a forum thread.

Any comments about what I've done, what i plan to do, and the extension welcome!
Please note: I am a noob at coding, so no feature requests can be considered! Please, only feedback on the hackery I did to the 0.71 build! If it's generally good enough to warrent putting on AMO, i will do this. But if the feedback suggests i have broken things and caused regressions, I will not.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Works fine for me. Don't see anything related to DMT showing up in the Error Console.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.8.1b1) Gecko/20060805 BonEcho/2.0b1 ID:2006080504
... new pref-tab or reworking the download options in the General tab. This means you can no longer get to the DownloadManagerTweak options from the prefs panel, you have to go through the addons UI.
Or from the Downloads Toolbar in a tab, window, or Sidebar once it is set in the Advanced Options. IMHO, that Options dialog doesn't need quick access - set it once and forget about it - less is sometimes more.

Thanks for your work.

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Uncle Spellbinder

Post by Uncle Spellbinder »

Working quite nicely in Lunux builds. Excellent work, chob. Thanks!
My Firefox Add-Ons Collection: Firefox Essentials
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

Just wanted to say thanks chob! Good work
sophist2

Post by sophist2 »

Ok so I'm weird but I decided to try this on the latest FireFox 1.5.0.6 nightly because I got tired of having to use the version override in Mr Techs Night Tester Tools to make 0.7.1 work. I am not recommending any one else try it but it seems to be working just fine.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.6) Gecko/20060807 Firefox/1.5.0.6 - Build ID: 2006080705
XerBlade

Post by XerBlade »

There is no version override needed to get 0.7.1 to work on 1.5.0.6 (extracting the official 0.7.1 xpi, Firefox maxVersion is 1.5.0.*, as it should be). If you were having to do an override to get it to work, you should probably check that something isn't off in your prefs, or something.
You should probably go to about:config and make sure extensions.lastAppVersion is set to 1.5.0.6, or something.
The minVersion on 0.7.1 is set to 1.0+, so, if that pref is set to 1.0, as some people decide to do (to achieve a similar effect to a version override) when by all means you should not change that pref (especially if you're using either MR Tech Local Install or Nightly Tester Tools anyway), it will not let it install, since 1.0+ is higher than 1.0.
User Agent
Extensions
AMD64/2.41GHz RAM/1.0GB ATI/256MB-GDDR3/128-bit/8xAGP Cable6.0M/384kbps
echoes

Post by echoes »

works fine on trunk fyi...

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060808 Minefield/3.0a1 - Build ID: 2006080804 [cairo]

EDIT: sorry, forgot to mention that there is an issue with it, but it existed with the previous version too. something changed on trunk at some point, (i don't know what), that made the buttons in the transfer window no longer work. i.e. pause, cancel...
chob

Post by chob »

sophist2 wrote:Ok so I'm weird but I decided to try this on the latest FireFox 1.5.0.6 nightly because I got tired of having to use the version override in Mr Techs Night Tester Tools to make 0.7.1 work. I am not recommending any one else try it but it seems to be working just fine.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.6) Gecko/20060807 Firefox/1.5.0.6 - Build ID: 2006080705
You will have lost the nicer download options in the Options > Downloads tab if you have done this! But no great loss.
medosa

Post by medosa »

Please save me after i uninstalled download manager
i can't open download manager window in separate window it alwayes opens in new tap and i want to restore my download settings to default please help me in this
medosa

Post by medosa »

Please save me after i uninstalled download manager
i can't open download manager window in separate window it alwayes opens in new tap and i want to restore my download settings to default please help me in this

and i use FF2.0
medosa

Post by medosa »

i wish if u can give me patch or way to restore my download settings to default before i install this extension

thanks in advance