Links go to Log On, not to threads

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
John Liebson

Links go to Log On, not to threads

Post by John Liebson »

I just clicked twice on an email from MozillaZine about a thread that had a new message; instead of being taken to the thread, I was taken to the MozillaZine log-on screen.

Another user asked about this same (or similar) problem in regards to reading the Daily Build Thread in Firefox Builds; apparently the malady is pandemic.
kerz
mozillaZine Admin

Post by kerz »

We're asking for folks to be logged on to fully browse the forums right now. This helps cut down on load.

jason
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

kerz wrote:We're asking for folks to be logged on to fully browse the forums right now. This helps cut down on load.

jason

I'm sorry, kerz, but surely you, of all people here, should know that sensible actions are forbidden....
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

kerz wrote:We're asking for folks to be logged on to fully browse the forums right now. This helps cut down on load.

jason

Yes, but what is the experience for the "non-member"
Even for me It wasn't obvious that logging in exposed the other forums.
JoeS Testing current Thunderbird trunk builds WinXP SP2+
news://news.mozilla.org.mozilla.test.multimedia How to Post
n/a (whatever)

Post by n/a (whatever) »

> We're asking for folks to be logged on to fully browse the forums right now. This helps cut down on load.

I see two extremes with this change:

1) Everyone desiring to view the forums a) logs in and b) views the forums as they originally wanted to. Thus, you have actually _increased_ the load.

2) Some people give up on logging in and thus do not read the forums.
This will decrease the load.

I have a feeling that 2) is the desired result.

I have not yet decided if it is worth the constant hassle to log in.
For the last few years I follow the daily builds (usually trunk). I like to review which bugs have been fixed and what new issues develop. Since I can not access the Build forum anymore, I may just continue running my current trunk build until 3.0 one days comes out officially.

You disappoint me, Mozilla.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060731 Minefield/3.0a1
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

These forums are not run by Mozilla.
Established in 1998, MozillaZine is an independent Mozilla news, community and advocacy site. MozillaZine is not run by the Mozilla Foundation and is not an official part of the Mozilla project. MozillaZine is hosted at the Open Source Lab at Oregon State University.
vl

Post by vl »

n/a (whatever) wrote:I have not yet decided if it is worth the constant hassle to log in.

You could always check the "Log me on automatically each visit" box on the log in page so that it doesn''t prompt you to enter the information each and every time you visit the forums, but still you would need to register for an account.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

vl_email wrote:
n/a (whatever) wrote:I have not yet decided if it is worth the constant hassle to log in.

You could always check the "Log me on automatically each visit" box on the log in page so that it doesn''t prompt you to enter the information each and every time you visit the forums, but still you would need to register for an account.
Or come up with the bucks for a Cray server to handle the load surges.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
n/a (whatever)

Post by n/a (whatever) »

> You could always check the "Log me on automatically each visit" box
> on the log in page so that it doesn''t prompt you to enter the information
> each and every time you visit the forums, but still you would need to register
> for an account.

I have an account.
Or I did several years ago, at least.
I do not remember the password, so I would have to further _burden the server load_ by requesting it be sent to me again.

The single most important reason that I chose Firefox over other browsers is because it's ability to _completely_ clear cache, cookies, saved passwords, etc. (IE left too much behind, even after clearing.) I have mostly disabled all of that. And the best part is the Clear Private Data on close. By enabling those things that I so distaste just to view threads, it essentially invalidates the very reason that I chose to use Firefox. Catch-22.

> Or come up with the bucks for a Cray server to handle the load surges.

I'm open to considering donating.
Jimbob0i0

Post by Jimbob0i0 »

Well I like to read the boards on the way to/from work but do not want to reset my 'read' status (and sometime sthe mobile device I use has trouble logging in anyway). I was surprised not to be able to read on the way in today.

This is also going to affect the ability to find solutions to problems in google (for web dev issues)... I do hope this policy is reverted at some point soon.
Mc.

Post by Mc. »

Even if I try to open search results I end in Log in.
Best you shut the forums.
paulfox

Post by paulfox »

I just posted here:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 98#2421498

but this is probably more "correct place," so sorry for the double post; I'll correct it. I like it. The "remember me" has never worked anyway despite cookie enabled and box checked. At least now you know you're logged in, and if it cuts down on load that's even better.

I'll amend/delete the other post.
PentiumIII/W2K, Toshiba AMD laptop/Vista. FX 3 on both.
Alex Bishop
mozillaZine Admin

Post by Alex Bishop »

n/a (whatever) wrote:I see two extremes with this change:

1) Everyone desiring to view the forums a) logs in and b) views the forums as they originally wanted to. Thus, you have actually _increased_ the load.

2) Some people give up on logging in and thus do not read the forums.
This will decrease the load.

I have a feeling that 2) is the desired result.

The desire is to immediately reduce the load on the server by any reasonable means possible, as it's too high right now. It's not intended to be permanent and it certainly isn't a change that anybody wants.
Alex
n/a (whatever)

Post by n/a (whatever) »

Alex Bishop wrote:The desire is to immediately reduce the load on the server by any reasonable means possible, as it's too high right now. It's not intended to be permanent and it certainly isn't a change that anybody wants.

Thank you for the response.
I am glad to hear that it will not be permanent.
I can wait. I will periodically check back later.
Hopefully the server load will improve in the near future.

Post by Guest »

Alex Bishop wrote:It's not intended to be permanent and it certainly isn't a change that anybody wants.
Great news indeed!