Can't type in text fields

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Tom Del Rosso

Can't type in text fields

Post by Tom Del Rosso »

I tried searching for this problem, but the key words have too many matches.

Has anyone seen this problem?

When I type in a text field like on the Google home page, the text appears in the serch box on the bottom-left. If I open IE and close it, then the FF text fields work for that FF window.

I tried un-installing FF and re-installed 1.5.0.6 (before the un-install I had the version just before). I have not tried the nightly builds, but is this a known problem with a fix in the pipeline?

Thanks.
vl

Post by vl »

To fix the problem, turn off the Find As You Type feature in Firefox:

1. Go to Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> General

2. Uncheck the "Begin finding when you begin typing" under Accessibility.

2. Hit the OK button and restart the browser.
Tom Del Rosso

Post by Tom Del Rosso »

Thanks, but I like the Find As You Type feature. Isn't there another option?
Old BushVenom

Post by Old BushVenom »

If the focus is on the search box (cursor blinking inside the box) at Google's home page, then "find as you type" doesn't kick in.
Tom Del Rosso

Post by Tom Del Rosso »

But it does kick in. That's the bug.

I can't find a reference to it because if I search for "text field" or any other keywords I have thought of, there are too many hits.

Post by Guest »

Here is one thread with some tips:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=449940
Tom Del Rosso

Post by Tom Del Rosso »

Thanks. No solution is offered there however, and it's not exactly the same problem. He says, "the /' buttons bringing up the find box while in a text area". I don't see that happen when Find As You Type is turned off. If it's turned on, while in a text field, then pressing any character key opens my find bar.
vl

Post by vl »

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.6) Gecko/2007072518 Firefox/2.0.0.6
Tom Del Rosso

Post by Tom Del Rosso »

Apparently I'm the only one who gets this effect when typing -anything- in a text box, even if I don't go near the slash or apostrophe. Switching tabs like this message suggests does not help. Only opening and closing IE, which must have functions that are called for the FF text box.
Old BushVenom

Re: Can't type in text fields

Post by Old BushVenom »

Tom Del Rosso wrote:When I type in a text field like on the Google home page, the text appears in the search box on the bottom-left. If I open IE and close it, then the FF text fields work for that FF window.

That really doesn't make sense. This MUST be a Windows thing, because it's not a Firefox thing. Ask your question here and see what happens (a Windows support forum):

http://aumha.org/
Tom Del Rosso

Post by Tom Del Rosso »

Thanks, and thanks to all who replied. I wanted to know if this was a known Firefox bug, and I think I have confirmation that it's an IE problem. I'll try un-installing FF and then re-installing IE and FF.
iguru42

Post by iguru42 »

I've been suffering with this bug for a long time, it predates 1.5.

I have the exact behavior that Tom is talking about but it only happens when I have more than 1 FF window open. If I only have one FF open, FAYT works fine. I can open as many tabs as I like and FAYT works fine. Open a second FF window and even if the cursor is in a text box FAYT takes over the text and I can't type in any boxes.
Muze

Post by Muze »

Same problem here. Exactly as you describe it.

It's always happened in all version of Firefox, usually just once in a rare while.

Now with latest updates (1.5.0.5. or 1.5.0.6) it's much worse, happens quite often and is really annoying. Maybe I'll have to shut off find as you type for now, but I've really grown accustomed to that feature
Mashed Buddha - just some music of mine
WeHarr

Post by WeHarr »

Can any of you who have this problem (and are willing and able) install a Nightly Branch Build of 2.0 or the 2.0 beta 1 and check if it still occurs? (You should backup your existing profile first to prevent losing data. If you do not set up the 2.0 nightly branch to run in a new profile, you will need the backup of your profile to go back to the 1.5.0.6. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup )

If this problem has not yet been fixed in the new code it would be nice if it was caught in time.

In the past the easiest way to reproduce this used to be related to opening new Firefox windows by clicking on Firefox icon in a quick start or the start menu, not with Ctrl-N. But as you are the people who are still seeing this problem, you may know the tricks and easiest ways to make it happen.

If it still happens in nightly branch for 2.0, a specific series of steps to follow to get it to occur might help a lot. Even if not, once you test on 2.0 branch, a post in the builds forum mentioning your hardware, operating system, service pack, which nightly build you tried, your setting for "search for text when I start typing" and exactly what is happening might help.

Builds forum:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=23

Post by Guest »

I'll see if I can figure out how to install the beta for 2.0

I have had the problem for 4 - 6 months. It didn't use to fail. Mine fails if I type anything in a web page text field or type in the search field of the GOOGLE bar, The find bar opens and my typing goes there. It fails with only one FF open. Opening a second window and then going back to the failing window the problem goes away. I am currently using 1.5.0.6 Also it fails on my XP destop system several times a day but never that I can remember on 98SE or Linix laptops. My desktop system does have Google tool bar that the others don't have. My wife uses the Google spell checking.